Header image

Camp life

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Went to the work cabin Thursday to check it out and clean pine needles away again. There is a very big fire raging up there right now ( Dixie fire ) that would have gotten us for sure, if not for the fire last year ( sheep fire ) It burned right up to the burn scar from last year 4-5 days ago and stopped advancing towards us. Its trying to go around both north and south right now but shouldn't threaten us. Last night it rained for a couple hours with lightning and wet my place down pretty good. It had been hot and it cooled it down some. Went to sleep around 8pm and woke up this morning at 3am. it was very smokey so we decided to head home and not have to breath it for another day. We packed up and left around 4:30 am and got home around 10am. A lot of refugees were in Susanville and a lot of sad faces. That whole area is getting ready to take a big hit, and not only from the fires, the State prison there which nearly 50% of the revenues come from closes next year.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We have a slew of forest fires about 40 miles southwest of camp so it's been smokey. We came back out to camp Wednesday with the plan of just relaxing all weekend. Well, I went back home to drive our son to work as it was raining yesterday. While in the city, I picked up some wood for another project.

We didn't have a place to store propane tanks and the generator so I got to work building a storage shed today. A bonus is that it's the perfect height for a work bench/fish cleaning station. I have a small plastic table to use on it as a cleaning board.
20210822_144911.jpg

Then, as I didn't have enough projects on the go, she who must be obeyed discovered a small opening under the counter in the camper that was covered by a thin piece of paneling so I tore the panel out carefully and built a shelf to hold pizza pans, baking sheets, plastic wrap, and aluminum foil. That took 3 hrs of measuring and cutting support pieces to mount the shelf as only one side had finished paneling.

20210822_155443.jpg

20210822_180048.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Another little project done today at camp. We wanted something to cover the sink in the camper and couldn't find one that fit so I picked up a slab of pine and cut it to shape, gave it a good sanding, and two coats of oil stain. It looks alright.
20210827_181057.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've been negligent on updating this thread as of late due to my dad's passing in September. We did get out a couple more times before closing up on Thanksgiving.

Someone else in our park experienced a bad situation the other day when the propane tank on their camper exploded. I haven't been able to get out yet to check on things but I was told it took out 3 campers and damaged a neighboring permanent cottage.

This is why, at the end of the season, I disconnect my tanks, remove the battery, and unplug the camper. No propane accidentally fed into the camper. No source of ignition. No electricity going to the unit. Stuff can still happen but it's due diligence.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I took a drive out to camp to inspect the damage. Here's what's left of a 27' camper and an enclosed cargo trailer

20211101_101923.jpg

This was a permanent cabin not part of our campground.

20211101_101933.jpg
20211101_102001.jpg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I took a drive out to camp to inspect the damage. Here's what's left of a 27' camper and an enclosed cargo trailer

View attachment 141148

This was a permanent cabin not part of our campground.

View attachment 141149View attachment 141150
Wow!

Most people do not realize how fast an RV camper will be consumed by fire.

Negligence is inexcusable.

We were once in a park that allowed RV campers to be within 3 feet of each other.

When they set one next to us, despite our objections and the local fire codes, we moved to another park.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'd love to know what happened. Was it a propane explosion as we suspected or something else. We were told a propane tank stored in the shed behind the camper exploded. There was a two story camp next to it that is nothing but posts now. We have 3 tanks out there.