• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

California mountain madness, feb 16-19, 2023

TalleyHo

GOLD Site Supporter
Hello All,

Would any of you be interested in a get together in the Central Sierra's of California? More specifically China Peak/Huntington Lake area next winter. Sometime in February?

There is no way it will be near as cool as what Pontoon Princess puts together and is not meant in any way to detract from her event. I have received her blessing on this.

The trail system in our area would allow us to gather in one spot and have access to 50 plus miles of trails with elevation changes from 5,500 to 10,000 feet at the top of Kaiser Pass.

If this gets any traction I would start discussions with the usual suspects here to try to get something planned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
California mountain madness - 2023

CMM2023

I will be there, love the idea, great location, go for it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

get busy and find the coolest old lodge to stay at, maybe a 3 night event, fancy Nancy trail cafe will be open, and my guess you will have about 20 some cats, old grouser award will be made at "California mountain madness 2023", CMM2023, and pretty sure BSGzilla will be making its debut, if you get all the info together by the end of April, bet you will have all the rooms booked by end of May 2022,

lets make CMM2023 the best trek ever!!!

Last edited:

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like a great trip. Last time I was to Kaiser Pass was 2014. I'm in.
Maybe skiing At China Peak too?

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Interested in the dates!

oh oh oh , Gannon, this is your formal invitation to come to California mountain madness - 2023, as winner of "old grouser of the Year - 2022",

you are required to create the award for "old grouser of the Year - 2023" must be made of old tucker grouser parts,

no excuses, you are a member of the tucker mafia

already know of 3 if not 4 fresh restorations that will be making their first time on the snow at CMM2023

and sweet one, chadster, bsgzilla dude, your machine will be attending CMM2023, all you have to do is show up...

Last edited:

The Sweet Wbj1

GOLD Site Supporter
I would absolutely love to come to this but the logistics of trying to borrow a cat from TLBFT and get there would be VERY difficult! Maybe we could just fly in? Would hitchhikers be allowed?

TalleyHo

GOLD Site Supporter
So... California Mountain Madness 2023 is officially a thing. Thank you Pontoon Princess for coming up with the name!

We have a date set and a place that will take us. It's a bit rustic but I think really cool for what we want to do.

Date set for Thursday Feb 16 check in Sunday Feb 19 check out. The Tamarack Sierra Lodge is going to be base camp. http://thetamaracklodge.com Though they only have 7 rooms in total, they have all been reserved for us. If we run out of rooms due to more interest I will work on overflow locations.

They have kitchenettes (no hot plates in the rooms) and 2-4 beds each. May wanna bring bbq's etc for cooking, they do have microwaves.

Food is available at China Peak Resort a few miles up the road or several restaurants and grocery store in Shaver, 13 miles back down the hill. I am going to host a lunch or dinner at our cabin which is shown by the blue flags in the picture. Not sure what day yet. If anybody wants to snow camp they are welcome to do so on our property. (If interested message me). My family and I will be staying at our place (rustic as well) to allow another room for others at the lodge.

We will have the parking lot to ourselves for tow rigs. And I believe we will be able to park along the road leading to it, should we need.

Access to trailhead is literally around the corner. There are trails that go from the lodge all the way around up and around Huntington Lake and down to lookouts over Shaver Lake. If we want to we can head up to the top of Kaiser pass as well. Most of the areas on the trails (except for Kaiser) have cell service which is handy.

1652836840695.png

The trail system is extensive. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5245572.pdf

1652839039732.png

The snow conditions can change over night. Though the Forest Service does their best to get the main trails groomed it doesn't always happen. My plan is to get up a day or so ahead and knock down deep powder if necessary. We have had 6-8' dumps over a day or so. Hopefully wont have to so we can all enjoy some powder. Just a heads up. Many areas are indeed snowmobile trails. Though they have 20' right of way, there are areas of cross slope and incline. I would best describe the trails as mild jeep trails.

Couple of pics of the area:

1652838469656.png

1652838516114.png

This is a dumping that occurred over night. Just giving example of what some February's look like.

1652838563604.png

More info to come.

Last edited:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
I would not think twice about signing up !!!!

it about time "the snow cat jamborees" headed to California and this is a great place to have one, thank you Kenny T

again, sign up now, do it quickly or you will be more than wishing you had, this may be one of the best snow cat adventures

make your reservation now

please.....

Last edited:

TalleyHo

GOLD Site Supporter
For those that are coming from other states.

California does NOT require you purchase a temporary permit for your machine as long as it is has a valid sticker from your home state. Maybe we do some things correct???

Please see the following link to make your own judgement.

Last edited:

TalleyHo

GOLD Site Supporter
The rooms at Tamrack Lodge have been fully booked. Which is great! The people that manage it have two other properties they manage as well and are taking reservations now at the property they have in Shaver. 13 miles from trail head. So it sounds like we will be utilizing two properties for the event. I will work on a spot for those that don't want to haul their machine back and forth to leave over night if they wish.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
under 90 days now. any updates? I pinged california about non res permits, and got back a "they haven't even been printed yet" we're understaffed.....

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
Saw this the other day. Just over the hill. The China Peak summit cam doesn't look like much snow yet. But 90 days can make a big difference.

Screenshot_20221125-063551_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20221126-075506_Chrome.jpg

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
25-30 Feet 😁

"Our base elevation of 7,000 and peak of 8,700 feet ranks among the highest in the state, which an average snowfall similar to many Tahoe resorts at 25-30 feet." - China Peak

TalleyHo

GOLD Site Supporter
Hello All!

We had a pretty good storm a few weeks ago of 3-4 feet. It has turned into a good base of around 1' and dense at what will be our base elevation of approximately 7000'.

Beginning next Thursday weather report is showing good indication of snow for a week or so straight.

I will be posting more updates as we get closer to the event.

If you all have questions please ask away.