• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Buying another freezer tomorrow ... food price inflation is just nuts

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not sure how people will be able to afford to eat if the food prices keep climbing.

Beef is outrageous unless you buy a half a cow, and even then it has gone up substantially.
Pork is still reasonably priced.
Chicken is up 50% over last year.

I consider buying yet another meat freezer as a defensive move against the even high inflation that I foresee.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not sure how people will be able to afford to eat if the food prices keep climbing.

Beef is outrageous unless you buy a half a cow, and even then it has gone up substantially.
Pork is still reasonably priced.
Chicken is up 50% over last year.

I consider buying yet another meat freezer as a defensive move against the even high inflation that I foresee.
In My area, chicken breast is up 100% unless I drive an hour to Walmart, beef is up at least 25% year over and pork is still pretty cheap, except Jimmy dean sausage has disappeared from the shelf. I have been considering a big freezer myself, for the price increase and for a shortage. Ca. started a regulation campaign on commercial trucks about 10 years ago, through the air recourses board. What a surprise, there are fewer truckers now. Right when they are needed the most.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Actually we all need 1,000 gallon or bigger fuel storage tanks, along with more freezer space,.
The Dems want to close a Canadian pipeline that comes into Michigan.
Fuel prices will go up especially in the Republican strong hold in the Midwest.
This is targeted.....

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Actually we all need 1,000 gallon or bigger fuel storage tanks, along with more freezer space,.
The Dems want to close a Canadian pipeline that comes into Michigan.
Fuel prices will go up especially in the Republican strong hold in the Midwest.
This is targeted.....
I used to have 1000 gallons in storage, 1 500 gallon tank + 2 at 250 each. I drive a lot less now, but it would sure be nice to have that 500 gallon tank back.

I think it is the Exelon 5 ??? pipeline they want to shut down. Its been on the Democratic chopping block for years. The one that takes fuel across the Macinaw straight. It would also cause chaos for the U.P. for their heating and fuel oil usages.

We have consolidated our meat packing and farms are mostly large commodities producers. Products seem to be regional, apples from Washington and Michigan. Corn & Soy across the midwest. Grains in the plains. Veggies and fruits from California. Our food travels long distances by trucks even when it stays within our borders.

Ceee

Site Supporter
Yeah, meat prices have really gone up. My freezer is packed right now. With winter coming up, I worry about losing power and losing everything in the freezer. If I had two freezers, I'd really worry. I don't have a generator.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We have several freezers including 2 that are dedicated to meats only.

There are pros and cons to upright vs chest. Uprights are normally easier to find things but they frost up a lot quicker. Chest don't frost up as much but if you're not organized, you have to dig around.

Whichever style, I strongly recommend you DO NOT get an auto self-defrosting freezer. Items kept in deep freeze will keep probably twice as long as a self-defrost model.

I do have generators if/when needed but most of our power outages are relatively short so I just limit my access to the freezers and things stay plenty cold.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Bought a new freezer last month because my grandmother's 1953 Montgomery Ward chest freeze has a problem with the top lid plastic coming apart. Freezer works fine.,,, and is full.

The new Whirlpool is filling fast. Yeah, get ahead of it.

Get your Turkey soon.. Seems they are also in short supply.

Beef is through the roof but pork is still reasonable. Unfortunately two of the four family members cannot tolerate pork.

Tomorrow, we have cube stakes for them and ham for me and Jessie. He also enjoys brats so we have them whilst the ladies eat chicken.

It helps.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our new unit was delivered this morning. Best Buy showed up about 7:30am.

This was placed in the garage in a spot I had prepared. Guy wheeled it in and saw some shelves I have with food & paper products storage and muttered "Oh my ..."

The lovely Mrs_Bob was in the local Target store 2 days ago and they had no toilet paper in stock. Pretty much wiped out of paper towels too. Me, I've never run out. To be prepared is to have peace of mind.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
To be prepared is to have peace of mind.

That is one of the truest statements I've heard in a while.

I'm surprised that your freezer was delivered so quickly. Two different people we know ordered fridge/freezers and had to wait 3 months for delivery of their particular brand and model.

Our freezer collection isn't full right now but it is "healthy". When all this started, I thought that I had enough food to easily last 3 months. As it turned out, I had enough on hand to easily make it through a year and then some so, I'm not too worried right now. Our main concern is always about fresh veggies, eggs and salad items. As long as we have Mineola Packaging we will be okay for the common meat products but their prices, which are always higher than the grocery store, are creeping up. There are still plenty of paper products on the shelves but that's not a worry as we are still well stocked. I can see rising prices but I can't see any real shortages yet.

You know, I'm 74-years old and this is not how I thought that I'd end my days in this world.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our local Target store. This week.

Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 11.26.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 11.26.39 AM.png

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I’ve been prepping for this shit since October. Normally get a half beef, this year was a whole. Never bought hog, this year a whole. Local grocer puts chicken cases on sale semi-monthly. Just picked up 80# of thighs for $60. I have 3 freezers and 2 frigs in the garage, they are currently pretty much loaded. I‘ve bought cases of can goods, both store and home made from local farms. Pork belly beyond the hog taking up 2 shelves in a freezer. Currently stocking and sealing dry good, I can make a vacuum sealer shit these days. I have a whole 8’x6’x2’ garage shelf filled, plus half another with paper goods.

Researching a fuel tank, its how I found this thread. Already have diesel tank mostly full, thanks Boomer ;)

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I’ve been prepping for this shit since October. Normally get a half beef, this year was a whole. Never bought hog, this year a whole. Local grocer puts chicken cases on sale semi-monthly. Just picked up 80# of thighs for $60. I have 3 freezers and 2 frigs in the garage, they are currently pretty much loaded. I‘ve bought cases of can goods, both store and home made from local farms. Pork belly beyond the hog taking up 2 shelves in a freezer. Currently stocking and sealing dry good, I can make a vacuum sealer shit these days. I have a whole 8’x6’x2’ garage shelf filled, plus half another with paper goods.

Researching a fuel tank, its how I found this thread. Already have diesel tank mostly full, thanks Boomer ;)
We have 2 freezers, 2 refrigerators, packed full.

Like you the vacuum sealer has seen heavy use, I'm surprised it has survived. About a dozen transparent storage bins hold various dry goods, separated by type. Stainless steel shelving and wall shelving hold case upon case of canned goods.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We picked up a half cow last month.
We've often considered getting a pig but we found a different approach that works well for us. When pork loins are on sale (probably not right now) we buy several (like 100# worth). Have some cut into chops and use others as roasts.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How much diesel do you go through? I bought 250 gallons more than 10 years ago and still haven't used it all up.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How much diesel do you go through? I bought 250 gallons more than 10 years ago and still haven't used it all up.
I’m guessing 100 gallon/year ….. Kioti DK45s, Kubota 9200, and Kawasaki Mule. I
bought 250gal in May.

Did you not use tidy tanks for gas, if so clue me in!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had 1000 gallons of diesel fuel stored, 1 500 gallon and 2 250 gallon tanks. Now I have none. I would go through over 500 gallons a year. But I run 2 diesel cars. It worked well for me, but both of my diesel cars are now high mileage and at least one will be up for sale soon.

Currently I don't store more than I need for my tractor, probably keep 20 gallons on hand a time.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had 1000 gallons of diesel fuel stored, 1 500 gallon and 2 250 gallon tanks. Now I have none. I would go through over 500 gallons a year. But I run 2 diesel cars. It worked well for me, but both of my diesel cars are now high mileage and at least one will be up for sale soon.

Currently I don't store more than I need for my tractor, probably keep 20 gallons on hand a time.
Since meningitis, I use my Mule for everything. I just can’t get around via foot like I use to. It’s probably 10 gal/mo, it sips fuel. The Kubota is the largest drinker during mowing season, Two tanks a month, 12gal. The Kioti is intermittent, last Summer was a big year. Did a lot of prep and dressing after pouring 50 yds of cement. Mule use will probably go down a bit this Summer. I bought a gas Polaris RZR mainly to grab well charts when the plow was on the Mule, but that thing is fun. I see more use this Summer.

Reactions: Doc

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Got 55 gallons of gas and 110 gallons of diesel in drums, plus keep the 5 ton full, thats another 100 gallons. I have been doing good lately hitting meat sales. Got choice ribeye's yesterday at $9,99 and T-bone a couple weeks ago for the same. I don't like to keep frozen meat too long unless I take the time to freeze it in water.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Of diesel, I have 500 gallons stored at the Hippie Ridge ranch. I keep 30 gallons of diesel and gasoline at the plant, in manual pump tanks, mostly for employees in an emergency.

3 diesel trucks and one BMW in the family. SHTF,,,; we'll manage.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I’m guessing 100 gallon/year ….. Kioti DK45s, Kubota 9200, and Kawasaki Mule. I
bought 250gal in May.

Did you not use tidy tanks for gas, if so clue me in!
I got a tank pretty much identical to what you got from me. I use that for gas.
Diesel is in 55 gallon drums.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I've mostly moved away from gas powered equipment except for a John Deere yard tractor that is used only occasionally. I usually have about 250 gallons of diesel on hand stored in drums and 5-gal containers. There's also 100-gal in the motorhome and 36 gal in the truck with another 60 gallons in a tank in the bed, I think that we're okay. I only keep about 30 gallons of gas on hand and it's treated with Stab-il and good for 2 years.

I've always used two small portable generators for power during outages and it's always worked quite well but I'm getting too old to be hauling those around. They were mainly used to keep all the fridges and freezers running when we lost power. The Snowmaggedon last February in Texas, when the grid failed, didn't affect us. We never lost power but it did get me to stop procrastinating about a whole house generator. I had a 24kW natural gas Generac installed last fall and, I must say, it does provide peace of mind and during the one 4-hour outage we have had it worked beautifully.

The freezers aren't full by any means but they are well stocked. As long as we have Mineola Pack, we can stock up in a hurry if needed. At the beginning of COVID, when the shelves were empty, we built up relationships with local farmers and producers for fresh veg, eggs and things. We still maintain those relationships by buying stuff from them occasionally.

Nope, on the whole we are pretty much ready for whatever happens ... I hope.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I've mostly moved away from gas powered equipment except for a John Deere yard tractor that is used only occasionally. I usually have about 250 gallons of diesel on hand stored in drums and 5-gal containers. There's also 100-gal in the motorhome and 36 gal in the truck with another 60 gallons in a tank in the bed, I think that we're okay. I only keep about 30 gallons of gas on hand and it's treated with Stab-il and good for 2 years.

I've always used two small portable generators for power during outages and it's always worked quite well but I'm getting too old to be hauling those around. They were mainly used to keep all the fridges and freezers running when we lost power. The Snowmaggedon last February in Texas, when the grid failed, didn't affect us. We never lost power but it did get me to stop procrastinating about a whole house generator. I had a 24kW natural gas Generac installed last fall and, I must say, it does provide peace of mind and during the one 4-hour outage we have had it worked beautifully.

The freezers aren't full by any means but they are well stocked. As long as we have Mineola Pack, we can stock up in a hurry if needed. At the beginning of COVID, when the shelves were empty, we built up relationships with local farmers and producers for fresh veg, eggs and things. We still maintain those relationships by buying stuff from them occasionally.

Nope, on the whole we are pretty much ready for whatever happens ... I hope.
Out of curiosity how much $$ in natural gas did it cost for a 4 day run.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Out of curiosity how much $$ in natural gas did it cost for a 4 day run.

It was a 4-hour run and I have no idea what it cost. I could have worked out a rough estimate but the weather was pretty cold at that time and the gas central heat was running pretty much full time too so it wouldn't have been very accurate.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
It was a 4-hour run and I have no idea what it cost. I could have worked out a rough estimate but the weather was pretty cold at that time and the gas central heat was running pretty much full time too so it wouldn't have been very accurate.
Mis read it, thought it said 4 days, just curious as the propane generators are high cost/ consumption. Wanted to know if natural gas was any better.