• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Burn ban will affect Wichita in April

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
This just plain sucks . They have been burning off the prairies in the flint hills 150 miles to the east of us for over 2 weeks leaving our whole area filled with thick smoke due to the wind have been from the east lately . :hammer:

I understand the burns in the flint hills are needed for obvious reasons, but I allway plan on doing all of my burn offs in the month of april to clear all of the crap out of my property lines & along the river bank as its ussually the rainy time of the year and easier for me to control .

Now the fuckin ozone level is to god damn high because of the crap 150 miles from here & they are still allowed to keep on burning and all I get to do is live with the fuckin smoke while watching our property go to weeds and crap because now its a county wide ban . :hammer: :furious:

http://news.kfdi.com/news/119001434.html
Thursday, March 31, 2011
A burn ban will be in effect for Wichita and Sedgwick County during the entire month of April. The ban is part of a statewide effort to deal with air pollution concerns in urban areas like Wichita.
Wichita fire marshall Brad Crisp says starting April 1st, no new burn permits will be issued, and all previously issued permits will be suspended. He says the city normally issues about 12 permits a month for such activities as the burning of brush and tree limbs to clear areas for development. That activity will not be allowed, and the ban will also affect the use of outdoor chimineas. Crisp also said the fire department will not have training activities during the month of April.
Crisp says the ban will NOT affect outdoor cooking appliances, ceremonial fires, or open burning for the purpose of crop, range and pastureland management, or wildlife and watershed management.
The ban is part of a smoke management plan for the Flint Hills, where open burning has created smoke that helps to raise ozone levels in Wichita and other cities. Wichita's environmental initiatives director, Kay Johnson, says the area is close to being in violation of federal ozone standards, and April is the start of the season where the city has its highest ozone levels. She says if the city falls out of compliance, that means there will be a regular impact on health in the community, and new regulations could be imposed that would cost local government and businesses $100 million over a 10-year period.
Johnson said there are steps citizens can take to help control ozone levels, including limiting the time that their car is idling, refueling their cars and mowing their lawns after 6 p.m., and conserving electricity. A complete list is available at the city's website at www.wichita.gov

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yours is not considered crop, rangeland or pastureland management?

Crisp says the ban will NOT affect outdoor cooking appliances, ceremonial fires, or open burning for the purpose of crop, range and pastureland management, or wildlife and watershed management.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Yours is not considered crop, rangeland or pastureland management?

I guess not because I even tryed to pull a permit and was refused . And I have never had to even do that in the past . Seems it dont even work playing by their rules anymore . :hammer:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Around here people don't seem to care about burn permits too much. I think it all depends upon your neighbors. If no one reports you - you are safe. :whistle:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Around here people don't seem to care about burn permits too much. I think it all depends upon your neighbors. If no one reports you - you are safe. :whistle:
Same here perty much and I dont really have a problem with neighbors but this is the first time the burn ban isn't about fire danger . Having a oil & gas pipeine along my property what concerns me the most is the patrol that flys regurally patrolling it at tree top level , I never have trusted them guys cuz they seem to like to circle our property when I'm out there working . One call and its a 2500 dollar fine . :doh:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
sorry to hear that cowboy -- we went out to burn the brome field today and ended up torching 15 acres of native grass while we were at it when the wind came up and reignited some stuff we thought was out. No property damage, but it added a couple of hours to the afternoon.