• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

broken axle on my 77 Tucker model 1344

pooreds

apparently I have broken an axle on my Tucker, I know it has Dana 60 axles, but from what? they are 6 bolt, I called Tucker, NO help, they guessed
it might be an International Dana 60. My cat is still stuck in a hole after 10 feet of snow in 18 days buried it. anyone know what it is? part number? thanks

pooreds

tuckersnow.jpg

Bennyboy1337

Recognized your cat from the FB post you made.

Did you by chance get the diff opened up and figure out if your pinion was busted? I recall you were able to rotate the driveline freely (that would suggested a busted pinion or ring assembly). And this only your front diff right?

In theory if you got someone with a cat to come clear the snow out enough, you should be able to drive/pull you out with just rear drive only. Honestly not the worst thing in the world to break, the cat can in theory can limp out if you just get it dug out first and have a trail groomed for you to the pavement.

I would imagine once you get the cat in a dry warm shop you can remove the pinion and find a matching part.

pooreds

Recognized your cat from the FB post you made.

Did you by chance get the diff opened up and figure out if your pinion was busted? I recall you were able to rotate the driveline freely (that would suggested a busted pinion or ring assembly). And this only your front diff right?

In theory if you got someone with a cat to come clear the snow out enough, you should be able to drive/pull you out with just rear drive only. Honestly not the worst thing in the world to break, the cat can in theory can limp out if you just get it dug out first and have a trail groomed for you to the pavement.

I would imagine once you get the cat in a dry warm shop you can remove the pinion and find a matching part.

I got the drive shaft removed, cat is still stuck in hole, the pinion seems pretty solid. I have help coming thursday/friday.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sometimes the key ways give way on the hubs or the key area fractures.

If lucky there is a second key way to use 180
of the failed ones.

Loose hubs seems to cause the failure there.

pooreds

OK, got this figured out. broken right front axle. Dug a lot more with help and a tow from a Pinroth groomer and we are on flat ground. Tucker used IH Dana 60. My axles are 30 spline 35-3/4" long. part number 32987-1 or 987-1. I found some used ones at Ventures Truck Parts in Utah. Dutchman said they can make new axles, 2-3 weeks. Ring and pinion seem to be fine.

Rock'n BK

SUPER Site Supporter
OK, got this figured out. broken right front axle. Dug a lot more with help and a tow from a Pinroth groomer and we are on flat ground. Tucker used IH Dana 60. My axles are 30 spline 35-3/4" long. part number 32987-1 or 987-1. I found some used ones at Ventures Truck Parts in Utah. Dutchman said they can make new axles, 2-3 weeks. Ring and pinion seem to be fine.
I have used Dutchman here in Boise Idaho
Theses guys knew their business and were reasonably priced