• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombi Exhaust Manifold Replacement?

louisnord

I have a cracked exhaust manifold on my 79 Bombi (Ford 1600 Industrial Engine) and would like to replace it. Welding or brazing the cast iron old one doesn't seem to be the answer. Anyone else have any suggestions of how to fix it properly :ermm:at a reasonable price tag?

Attachments

• Manifold 1bwdim.jpg
    Manifold 1bwdim.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 490
  • Manifold 4bw.jpg
    Manifold 4bw.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 536

1955tucker443

My 1981 Bombi had a cracked exhaust manifold that looked like yours. I assumed the motor was a Ford Pinto (which used the 1.6 liter engine in 1970 and 1971) not knowing they made a 1.6 liter industrial engine. A used auto parts place found me a Pinto/Fiesta manifold for $110 - it fit fine.

louisnord

Thanks for the reply. Had a fellow weld it up OK. Not pretty, but it works fine and got me back onto the snow, for now. Did your replacement manifold exit straight down at a 90 degree angle? The bombi manifold exits down at about 45 degrees toward the cab. How did you modify that; flex pipe? I did install a section of flex pipe to help absorb some of the muffler and cab vibration that likely helped cause the initial cracked manifold. I think I will look for a Pinto/Fiesta manifold to keep as a back up anyway. Eight inches of new snow in Northern Lower Michigan (March 29); I am ready for springtime!

1955tucker443

The Pinto/Fiesta manifold I got was pretty much an exact replacement - angled down about 45 degrees and towards the cab. There was no flex tube in my exhaust system and I left it that way after the new manifold - so far no problems. I assumed that someone drove the Bombi without the engine cover on and the tracks threw snow up onto the manifold to crack it?

After I made the connection between the Bombi engine and 1970-71 Pintos, when I needed engine parts I went to my local Napa store and asked for a "blah blah" for a 1971 Pinto 1.6 liter. I've had great luck with this (never got a wrong part - even the upper and lower radiator hoses fit great). I made a parts list with Napa numbers and have attached that word document to this reply - I hope you will find it useful. I have never done an attachment here so if you can't retrieve it let me know and we can figure something else out

It was 70 degrees here in Reno, NV yesterday (which was nice) but I'll trade some spring for a little more winter!

Last edited:

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
@HillBilt Check this last post. 1970-71 ford pinto reference. Plus I got all the old manuals so if you need help with part numbers, I got you.