Bombardier SW54 Project

77_crew

Yes.
Drilling the belting is a pain.

Use a "Brad point" type bit and it will cut it right through.....(Just don't hit metal with the bit)
One of these bits will gitterdone quickly......Makes a very clean cut
Ya I have used those bits before but never on rubber this thick. Perhaps I’ll try drilling a couple holes with one of these and compare with the hollow drill.

77_crew

The pipe (stop) is welded to the end plate of the can, where the rod hole is . Keep the pics coming.:hammer:
J5 Bombardier
10 4! Thanks. I have made new stops up and I’ll be sure to weld them to the end caps. I have new cans cut and the stops, just need to make new ends and then I can assemble the new assemblies. I’ll get some pics coming too as I know you guys like pics 👍

77_crew

58A82DDE-531C-477F-89FE-04CB919D7187.jpeg

Links cleaned up. I pressed out the bushings and am trying to decide what I’m going to make the new bushings out of. Some of the inner bushings were so seized in there that the arbor press wouldn’t do so I had to use the big hydraulic press at work. No wonder the bolts were so worn.

B1318605-3A50-4C49-9CD3-9FE819684DD2.jpeg

77_crew

Some progress. I have a bunch of parts prepped and will hopefully have some fresh assembled spring in cans and new link mounts on the one front control arm.

Question, does anyone else have a grease nipple on their cans? My old cans have one on the front end, but that’s kind of in no mans land and You’d have to put at lease two tubes of grease in before any gets to the spring. My plan is to liberally coat the springs and can before assembly, but not sure if that’s the correct location for a nipple.
CD93DE56-3E73-44D1-8F9B-B9CF6C2F352C.jpeg

77_crew

It would be ideal to get a nipple with a line routed into the stop pipe somehow, so any excess grease either comes out or goes into the can, but I will likely end up putting the nipple around half way up the can so the grease ends up on the spring.

J5 Bombardier

It would be ideal to get a nipple with a line routed into the stop pipe somehow, so any excess grease either comes out or goes into the can, but I will likely end up putting the nipple around half way up the can so the grease ends up on the spring.
Never saw one with that, but you may be on to something. A small drain hole, in the bottom is what I usually have and pump some grease in, when in for a service.
J5 Bombardier