• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombardier J5 1959

J5 Bombardier

I picked up a J5 yesterday, it was made in 1959 and has small axles. I was planning on using it for a parts machine,but after a little tinkering(it hadn't run for 5 years), it fired right up. After a tuneup and fluid changes,I'll check out the left rear wheel,seems to be on a slant. Guess we know why Bombardier went to the larger axles !

J5 Bombardier:hammer:

Attachments

• DSCN4074.jpg
    DSCN4074.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 3,139

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Cool !! i like the skidding arch.

Do you know what years the small axles were used ?

Are you going to fix this up for your kids to drive ? You're going to have a fleet :biggrin:

J5 Bombardier

I'm not sure what year they switched to large axles,the hull has a lot of similar features to my large axle J5. I'd like nothing better than to strip it down to the bare hull and rebuild it,switching it to large axles,but it's going to get a quicky instead. The muskeg project has to be rolling by spring,hell maybe with two J5's this winter I might even get a chance to drive one!:biggrin:
J5 Bombardier

J5 Bombardier

Ok ,there is no such thing as a "Quickie" when it comes to snocats ! Ended up stripping the running gear off the J5, nothing to drastic, a few beam bearings and fix the [spring in a can]. Swap a few tires and the tracks will make a couple more seasons,I replaced around 15 crossers. Rebuilt the Dash yesterday, have to change the motor mounts, water pump,tuneup , install hyd pump and winch, some minor sheet metal, paint ,other than that almost ready to go !:whistling:
J5 Bombardier

Attachments

• 2 muskeg.jpg
    2 muskeg.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 2,745

J5 Bombardier

I finished up my J5 suspension,keeping the small axles in the front 4 wheels,but one rear axle was cracked .I decided to build a set of large axle spindles instead of repairing the old one, as the side by side comparison shows, (SIZE DOES MATTER !) at least in Bombardier axles.

Attachments

• DSCN4153.jpg
    DSCN4153.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 2,726

the old trucker

I'm not sure what year they switched to large axles,the hull has a lot of similar features to my large axle J5. I'd like nothing better than to strip it down to the bare hull and rebuild it,switching it to large axles,but it's going to get a quicky instead. The muskeg project has to be rolling by spring,hell maybe with two J5's this winter I might even get a chance to drive one!:biggrin:
J5 Bombardier

I asked the same question & couldn't get an accurate answer so I emailed this fellow & here's what he said.

invis.gif

Hello Guy. I would like to know what years the J5 had the same rims as the B12. I was told that some of them did have this. Can you help me ?

Guy Pépin (g.pepin@fjab.qc.ca)

Guy Pépin

From:Guy Pépin (g.pepin@fjab.qc.ca) Sent:June 28, 2010 3:50:17 PMTo: claude stratton (popsshed@hotmail.com)

Hello Mr. Stratton

Until 1960 !

Guy Pépin
Conservateur-restaurateur / Conservator-Restorer
MUSÉE J. ARMAND BOMBARDIER
1001, avenue J.-A.-Bombardier, Valcourt (Québec) J0E 2L0
Téléphone : 450 532-1558 - Télécopieur : 450 532-2256 - www.museebombardier.com

J5 Bombardier

I finished welding up the back end of the hull and slapped on some paint,the motor was cleaned up and was given a quick check, then back in the hull it went.
The snow has taken a beating with the rain and high temps for the last couple of days, so I guess we'll keep playing in the garage until the white stuff comes back ! Happy New Year
J5 Bombardier

Attachments

• 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 2,756

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
It looks really good !!

Good plan to replace those rear axles. I didn't realize they were tapered !

Did you add the diamond plate deck ? It looks like it's boxed in ? That should stiffen it up :wink:

J5 Bombardier

Thanks Pixie
Yes those small axles are pretty delicate, I wonder what 1930's plymouth or dodge car Mr Bombardier decided to use them from when he started his first designs !
The previous owner raised the fenders 2 inches, I didn't see any rub marks underneath when I stripped the track, it will be interesting to try them out skidding.:smile:
J5 Bombardier

J5 Bombardier

The J5 is progressing along, fast for me for me that is ! Old man winter is still not coming through in any quantity, may have to import some from south of the border !
J5 Bombardier:flagcan:

Attachments

• 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 2,466

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The J5 is progressing along, fast for me for me that is ! Old man winter is still not coming through in any quantity, may have to import some from south of the border !
J5 Bombardier:flagcan:

Nice Work........... looks like your protected from overhead.

northeastheavy

Great picture with the engine and dash work done!!! looks real nice!!! Your at the point its really coming together!!!! Must feel good!! Now I wish I did'nt have to trade my j5 in for the new cat. Good luck!!! Get it out in the snow now!!!

J5 Bombardier

Today was time to test drive the J5, got side tracked with front axle bearings, brake bands and cleaning up the diff amongst other things. It drove well , a little different than my other one .Still have to make the right engine cover and install the hyd winch and maybe swap the carb to a rochester if I find a good core to rebuild.
This J5 didn't make the wood season and our snow is on the way out, but it will be ready for next year !

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 2,265

buster

Great Job. I don't know how you do it so fast. I spend all my free time working on mine but you've got me beat. I'll be interested how your arch works. I'll post some pictures of my progress.

Morin64

looks great. nice job!! i have a sw48 that i bougth in january for getting out fire wood. i'd like to know how yours dose pulling wood compared to mine? the snow has ben waist deep so ive just played with it it the yead

Attachments

• Photo0053.jpg
    Photo0053.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 2,376

J5 Bombardier

looks great. nice job!! i have a sw48 that i bougth in january for getting out fire wood. i'd like to know how yours dose pulling wood compared to mine? the snow has ben waist deep so ive just played with it it the yead

A light front end and track rubbing limits what J5 and 48's can skid, I just make more trips, so with a good packed trail and those tracks you should not have any problems pulling wood ! The Sw48 is a little trickier on a side hill with it's higher center of gravity, it's a nice looking machine.
J5 Bombardier

J5 Bombardier

So this is it for the "Quickie" J5 Bombardier check over and out the door fast project ! It got a little more involved than that ,but four months later it's finished and ready to be parked for the summer. I finished installing the winch levers today and a few other brackets , drove it out of the garage into the rain,took a few pics and that's all she wrote !

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,265
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 1,288

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Looks pretty rugged and useful !

I like the small door to check the oil !!

Now get back to work on the Muskeg :flowers:

J5 Bombardier

Looks pretty rugged and useful !

I like the small door to check the oil !!

Now get back to work on the Muskeg :flowers:

Yes Maam !:whip:
I have to swap out my old lathe for a new one( 1979)I picked up,(A bombardier requirement). Soon as that's out of the way it's ""MUSKEG" time!
J5 Bombardier:smile:

Morin64

o my god! After all that work don't park it. you've got to pull at least one log. This weekend i pulled out three cords with just chains. im jealous of the winch you have. It look like it would be so much easier.

J5 Bombardier

I've been trying out my second J5 on some trail cleaning and the other pic is of putting a snowmobile bridge in place.It's going to be a good 2nd machine,they each drive differently. Had a low oil pressure problem,managed to get the oil pump changed with the engine jacked over to one side in the hull,oil pressure is respectible now. I can see a engine swap down the road and I'll probably drive the hydraulic pump off the crank,like the other one. For now,it's rolling along, so we'll keep playing in the snow !
J5 Bombardier:whistling:

Attachments

• Dec 31 2010 -Jan2-Jan8 2012 007.jpg
    Dec 31 2010 -Jan2-Jan8 2012 007.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,226
  • Tyler's Birthday feb 5 2012 011.jpg
    Tyler's Birthday feb 5 2012 011.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 957

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
The machine looks great ! Nice pictures !
It's a good winter for J5s :smile: snow's not too deep .

Changing the oil pump doesn't sound fun ! Did you have to use a mirror ??

eastcoasternl

nice looking pictures you have here j5 bombardier, very nice machine you overhauled, was also wondering about your other project the muskeg, do you have any pictures on that? would like to see the final product if i can please. pixie you have some nice looking rigs there to. would like to see some more pictures tho. keep up the good work .

J5 Bombardier

Hi Pixie
Lots of snow here,almost to much for 16" tracks, but I'm not complaining it's been a great winter ! As for the oil pump swap in a J5,no mirror but a lot of #*#@% words !
Eastcoasternl,I'm glad you liked the pics,we are lucky to have this site,lots of different projects.The Muskeg is still a work in progress,when I get motivated to work on it again I'll restart the thread.

J5 Bombardier

After 4 plus years, I've decided to go with a hyd pump driven off the crank . The belt driven pump ,first installed, never was satisfactory, so an access hole was cut into the hull .After raising the rad and fabbing up a drive off the crank pulley , the next step is to make a mount on the engine to hold the pump. To be continued.

Attachments

• IMG_20161120_143634.jpg
    IMG_20161120_143634.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 622
  • IMG_20161120_144200.jpg
    IMG_20161120_144200.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 602

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I'll be checking on your progress :)

My J5 had a hydraulic pump on the crank to run the plow. The winch is run by PTO.
Whoever mounted the pump did a lousy job and I had to remove it. My plow is now run by an electric hydraulic pump.
The hydraulic pump seems to be the reason they replaced the 251 with a 230 to gain the 2" in there. They should have just cut a hole. Tub is already boxed out on the left side rear for the PTO.