• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombardier Bombi -81 restoration, need some help!

Manlig

They made this paintjob in a paintshop,they told me that they dident use thinner for this paint and they use a pump not air to spray the paint.

Manlig

Today i reline the brake bands you will need a speciall tool to lock the rivets.
guruneza.jpg

y4e4eteh.jpg

And i made a overhoul of the track tensioner,replaced the 2 o-rings and gave them some paint.
8e7y6eva.jpg

ha7abube.jpg

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
those tensioners are supposed to have leather cups in them. did you reuse yours. I did one last spring it only had the o-ring and leaked like a siv

Manlig

Ok no thoose most be missing,i had 2 o-rings one on the piston and one in the cylinder.i dont realy Know what you mean by leather cups? Do you have any pic of it?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
no I don't I had Brad send me up a kit it only cost about 50 bucks. the cups sit at the end of the piston kind of like wheel cylinder cups in your brakes. seams when I would load down the track grease would slooge past the o rings.

clhsmith

many of the larger bombardiers have a small removable plate on he outside of the final drive. this small plate is reversible. it is there to DISENGAGE the fnaal drive for towing. i do not know if your bomdi has this. if it has be careful removing the plate. there is a spring laoded pin behind it which can pop out and get lost in the snow.

Manlig

Yes when towing its easy to remove the splines cup on outside of the drivesprockets.

I have now decide to replace the engine and transmission to a mercedes 4cyl 2,3 injected petrol engine with a 4 steps automatic transmission.I will go and buy the donation car on tuesday. Any thoughts about that engine choice?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I would rather have a diesel benz stuff is inexpensive and readily available where you are at so it sounds like good choice. did you ever think of a saab turbo that thing would run so fast Big Al's krusty wouldn't know what to do.

Manlig

Yeah i would like to get a benz diesel i have been looking for them for a while now but they are quite hard to find and when i find one they are to expensive. A turbo would be cool! To bad all saabs are front wheel drive..

So my choice was between Bmw 4cyl aut and The Benz aut.

Manlig

Today i picked up my powerplant donation car.I bought a Volvo 740 2,3 inj with automatic trany. I made this choice becose volvo had a higher gearratio then the Benz.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,329

Manlig

A small update,today me and my friend took the engine out of the donation car. Its a Volvo 230f petrol engine with about 120hp (90kw) with 4speed automatic trans.It has a bit higher gear ratio then the fordtrany so it will do about 50km/h (31mi/h) at 4500rpm.The chassi is almost done and waiting to get the new engine.

At first i was looking at a mb diesel with automatic trany,but i change my mind when the gear ratio was the same as the Ford.I belive it will not be very fun to drive when the Diesel engine will rev 3000rpm at 15km/h (9mi/h)

2udupery.jpg

by7y6ete.jpg

Manlig

All the wheels are refurbish and back on
uzunapa4.jpg

Made some improvement on the stearing with some extra return springs and it made a big differens.
rysa4ubu.jpg

Manlig

I think its amazing that 30 year old tires can still be in such good condition!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,343

Manlig

Parts is mounted. I have set up a temp cauge in the differential so that i can have control so its not getting overheated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,241

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Will you have to redo the engine cover for the Volvo? Looks tight but doable and should give it good power and economy. Good looking project so far.:clap:

Manlig

Thank you. What do you mean with engine cover? Its a squeeze fit but it will work without any bigger modifications. Need to fabricate new motormounts and its not much space to work on so that will be the difficult part.I allso need to make a new manifold for the exhoust.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I thought the alternator may not clear the original cover. Exhausts are always a challenge on a transplant.

Manlig

I hade to make a new bracket for the hydraulic pump on the new engine.All the engine mounts are done so soon it will be mounted in the chassi for the last time.
u2yjyra5.jpg

puby3yma.jpg