• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombardier 1962 SW54 Differential Oil

1962SW54

I have a Bombardier 1962 SW54 that I need to change the differential oil. The Operator's manual that I have states "replace with 4 gallons (31/2 gals. for SW-48) of non-corrosive, non-hypoid gear oil, SAE 90 or SAE 80, according to prevailing temperature". Obviously major advances have been made in lubrication since 1962 - what oil would be best to use for this application? I've been told that you need to be careful of the type of oil because the brakes are also submerged in the differential bath and some newer oils will affect their performance - while I would obviously want to use newer more effective oils, I certainly do not want to adversely affect any of my components!

jflarin

I use modern and the brakes have not been affected as far as I know. However I don't steer with brakes, I steer with trailer 99% of the time. I leave my J5 outside (in the elements) and I go through mud and puddles. What I observe is that the oil gets contaminated with water quite often, so changing oil often is a good strategy.

jf

redlinenwt

I use a TO-4 oil
Caterpillar TDTO 10W
Used in HD transmissions and final drives
I'm in a cold place you may want to go heavier weight
TO-4 oils perform very well with the band type steering brakes..

Powermodz

My new to me J5 clunked when turning and was hard to turn - looks like it had a lightweight oil in it. I was told to put 75w90 in it because it is the only one with a friction modifier in it - I did and its fine now.

redlinenwt

My new to me J5 clunked when turning and was hard to turn - looks like it had a lightweight oil in it. I was told to put 75w90 in it because it is the only one with a friction modifier in it - I did and its fine now.

75W90 is just like grease at -35
All my use is in cold weather.
Just what I've found works best for me...

1962SW54

I recently received the following advice from Prinoth (the company that purchased the business from Bombardier)
"Differential oil: See Total Dynatrans MPX brochure attached. This is the best available oil for that application."

Attachments

• DIFF TDS_TOTAL_DYNATRANS MPX_FJO_202012_EN_Wet Brakes.pdf
    948.2 KB · Views: 221

Powermodz

Mike Griffin. 613 seven 6nine 2x 9's and 2 x8's

located in ottawa, call for pricing. Not going to say what I paid for them, but Mike is the best price I can find - buy more lubricants get better pricing.

Louie