• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Best use of a snowcat?

Bennyboy1337

Well we managed one more trip on Sunday. Past SV participants will recognize the Couch Summit run. It gets up high pretty fast so I figured the last best snow. From last week until this the snow below 6,000 feet is going fast. Above that still quite a lot of snow, but old man winter is definitely losing the battle to the Sun.

Slide from earlier in the season. One of those 5 risk avi days no doubt.

View attachment 164372

View attachment 164373

View attachment 164374

View attachment 164375

Hard to tell from this pic but I'd guess we were sitting on about 6 feet of snow there.

No attempt to make it down to Worswick this time?

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
Didn't make to the high country, but we did cruise around the neighborhood a bit. Didn't get a fire built because all my helpers have a bad cough.

20240114_172306.jpg

Tried to get the kitten moving but I'm going to have to put it in the shop and warm it up. But I ran out of time.
20240114_140433.jpg

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
My kitten is a miserable cold start. The Anglia carb 100% have a temperature temper 🥶

Kids are getting big quick!
Yea they grow up fast, gotta take time.

Yea I remember GMoose saying he had to heat his up on a cold start. Carried a little heater just for that. PP said it's just the carb design. Guess I'll bring a my buddy heater for that.

BoyToys

Finally got to take the Patrol out for a spin. Couple little things (isn't there always?) but hopefully no big deals. First day made a loop about 14 miles alone, second day went about 19 miles farther up the mountain, with the crew. One herd of around 75 elk, and another of about 20, and one mangy coyote. Trinity mountains, west of Sun Valley, North of Soldier. Turned around at a dead fall across the road, running out of time anyway, maybe 7500 feet, (Trinity LO is 9900' ) about 21 inches of snow there.
I used to ski Sun Valley many moons ago. Old Baldy is kind of ugly until covered with snow. Sun Valley, if you don't ski, is really all about watching what we called "the beautiful people"; i.e., the rich and famous.
Of course the Trinity mountains are a different story.