Header image

Battery operated outdoor yard tools

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a Greenworks Pro 60volt battery operated push mower. Also a Greenworks Pro 60volt Snowblower.
I also have a 40volt Ryobi pole saw.

Looking at buy a battery operated leaf blower and also a hedge trimmer. Currently I have Stihl a gas powered blower, Stihl gas powered extended reach hedge trimmer. Looking for something lighter duty than the heavier duty + high quality Stihl gas powered units for just light jobs. Not looking to get rid of my Stihl.

Pretty much married to the Greenworks & the Ryobi brands, simply because I already have the batteries and the chargers.

My thought is that I'll probably go with the Greenworks hedge trimmer at $119 versus the Ryobi at $129. And for the blower I'll probably get this Greenworks at $119 versus the Ryobi at $149. Pretty close to apples to apples comparisons. But since I want lighter weight and more convenient tools, I'm thinking that going with the slightly lower priced products because I still will have high quality and higher capacity gas operated tools for bigger jobs.

Am I missing something? Honestly for a supplemental tool I'm thinking that price is king as long there is enough capacity in the tool. And since I already have the batteries I only need the tool. I don't want to add another brand, with another battery + charger.

----- BLOWERS -----

NOT this BLOWER from Ryobi:

THIS blower from GREENWORKS:

----- TIMMERS -----

THIS TRIMMER from Greenworks:

NOT this one from RYOBI:

Last edited:

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I have an EGO self propelled push mower that just finished it's second season. I really like the adjustable wheel speed but wish they'd offer 2 speeds for the blade as I would sacrifice some run time for more blade lift. It automatically speeds the blade up when under heavy load but then slows back down when the load decreases.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
I have a battery operated pole saw, shop vac, weed eater and grease gun. All Milwaukee M18 Batteries seem to last a long time. I charge them just to be sure they have a good charge.
But yeah, once invested into any battery bank that is the brand tool to buy if possible. Leaf blower is next on my list.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I just started on the battery powered tool kick. I bought an EGO leaf blower with the 56 volt battery and I am quite impressed. I'll be looking for the EGO chain saw for the little jobs around the place. I can't think of what else that I would need but that doesn't mean that I won't find something, perhaps a hedge trimmer.

I have a Stihl pruning saw that is basically a small chain saw with a 6" bar. It works great too so I am really at a crossroads of whether to stick with EGO or start going with Stihl.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I recently purchased my first battery powered tool (other than cordless drills and saws). A ryobi weed eater. So far I'm not overly impressed. I used it twice and now it won't hold a charge. I may return it.

I agree on the whole "stick with one brand" theory so batteries are interchangeable. Somehow that theory didn't work for me as I have a whole slew of different brands, batteries, and chargers in the garage.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a Greenworks Pro 60volt battery operated push mower. Also a Greenworks Pro 60volt Snowblower.
I also have a 40volt Ryobi pole saw.

Looking at buy a battery operated leaf blower and also a hedge trimmer. Currently I have Stihl a gas powered blower, Stihl gas powered extended reach hedge trimmer. Looking for something lighter duty than the heavier duty + high quality Stihl gas powered units for just light jobs. Not looking to get rid of my Stihl.

Pretty much married to the Greenworks & the Ryobi brands, simply because I already have the batteries and the chargers.

My thought is that I'll probably go with the Greenworks hedge trimmer at $119 versus the Ryobi at $129. And for the blower I'll probably get this Greenworks at $119 versus the Ryobi at $149. Pretty close to apples to apples comparisons. But since I want lighter weight and more convenient tools, I'm thinking that going with the slightly lower priced products because I still will have high quality and higher capacity gas operated tools for bigger jobs.

Am I missing something? Honestly for a supplemental tool I'm thinking that price is king as long there is enough capacity in the tool. And since I already have the batteries I only need the tool. I don't want to add another brand, with another battery + charger.

----- BLOWERS -----

NOT this BLOWER from Ryobi:

THIS blower from GREENWORKS:

----- TIMMERS -----

THIS TRIMMER from Greenworks:

NOT this one from RYOBI:
I've had a Greenworks line trimmer for 5 seasons and it has been trouble free with plenty of power. I also have that blower and it is a beast. Great leaf blower.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've had a Greenworks line trimmer for 5 seasons and it has been trouble free with plenty of power. I also have that blower and it is a beast. Great leaf blower.
I can say nothing bad about the little snowblower (3 seasons) and lawn mower (4 seasons). But neither is heavily used. That said, when I use them they do impress me.