• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Battery charge level after running

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have battery tenders on most of my equipment that sits during winter months. I'll still start em up and run them for 5 mins or so every month..

When I check the battery charger both batteries on my tractor and excavator were at 100% charged.
After running for 5 mins or more I rehook the battery tender up and it shows that it is charging that the battery is below 80%.
If above 80% a different light blinks so I know both were showing below 80% after running.
In prior years I did not use the battery tender on them and had no trouble starting after they sat a month or so.
I simply do not understand why the battery would show that low after running a bit.
Scratching my noggin here.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So today I was checking the Honda 1000 for mileage and hours. It is also set up with a battery tender. I left the battery tender attatched and turned the key to get the digital dash to show me mileage. then I bumped the button to get to hours. All took 30 seconds or so at most.

I checked the battery tender afterwards and sure nuff it showed the red light as if it was charging a battery that was less than 80%. So this appears to be a battery tender issue, in that it is resyncing with the battery before deciding how much charge the battery needs. I have not watched to see how long the light stays at indicating less than 80% but will try to check that tomorrow. For now this appears not to be a battery problem.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
My SIL had a new Craftsman battery charger and I tried to use it to check tlr lights. Found out it won't put out current to anything but a battery with at least partial charge. Had to go get my booster pack to do the job. AH, the wonders of technology!!

Reactions: Doc