Bathroom reno.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Lookin' good there Brian.

I sure hope this project gets done soon. Without that shower ya'll must be getting fairly ripe by now.

LOL.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Lmao. We have 4 bathrooms. The one in the hall down from the bedroom is a tub shower combo.

Here's more of the wood trim installed today. There is also more white tile up on the shower walls. 20210316_192004.jpg

Where the can is sitting is where the "can" is going to be located. So we trimmed the pony wall with an oak cap.

20210316_192046.jpg

We weren't sure what to do to separate the bathroom and bedroom as they're different colors so we decided on a simple strip of oak trim to frame the entrance.
20210316_192103.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The tile work is almost done. Just the grouting left tomorrow. Then we wait for the glass for the shower. Meanwhile, we can start bringing in the tub toilet and cabinets. It'll be another 3 weeks before the counters are ready to install. We're getting close!

20210318_160000.jpg20210318_160013.jpg20210318_160027.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The plan yesterday was to clear out all the tools and clean the floor in preparation for grout in the afternoon. Once the floor was cleaned, plans changed when we started looking around and noticed 5 tiles had little chips in them.

So the contractor began chipping out the damaged tiles to replace them being careful to not damage the heating cable for the floor. He tested the cable with an ohm meter before starting then again after. When he checked after chipping the tiles out, panic set in when he didn't get a reading on the cable. Oh crap! Are we going to have to restart from scratch?

Thinking his meter was faulty, he tried a new battery in it and nothing. So he headed out to the hardware store and came back with a new meter. Crisis averted. The cable survived. The replacement tiles were installed and allowed to dry overnight. He's coming back today to grout and allow it to fully dry by Monday.

20210319_132147-jpg.136070
20210319_132200.jpg

Attachments

• 20210319_132147.jpg
    20210319_132147.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 53

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Lol. Not sure. The electrician was here before and after the tile install and took a reading each time. I assume they know what they're doing. We're using an independent contractor. He's got a licensed electrician he works with.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
You might check. Usually, residential guys would not have a megger. A megger is usually used in industrial troubleshooting.
Sends 1000 volts down the wires, stressing the insulation.
For the ditra heat warrantee, you must send in the readings.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Busy day in the bathroom today. The contractor and I worked at bringing in the cabinets and installing them.

The electricians were here installing all the light fixtures and hooking up the heated floor. IT WORKS!

The glass guys should be here mid week to measure the shower to get the glass cut. The plumbing will also take some time as some of the fixtures are still on order.

The countertops and sinks should be here hopefully in a couple weeks.

Tomorrow hopefully we'll get the tub up from the house garage where it's been for a month and get it installed but we won't be able to use it until the freestanding faucet arrives.

It's starting to come together. The pictures are dark but with those big windows, we have plenty of natural light.

20210322_181533.jpg20210322_181404.jpg20210322_181554.jpg

Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks. That heated floor is nice.

Nothing too exciting today. The tiles behind the tub are grouted. The shower is cleaned up and ready for grout tomorrow.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Perfect timing. We got a call that the glass was in yesterday. They came out to install it today. We're still waiting for a couple pieces of the fixtures to install the taps jets and showerheads. 20210412_155500.jpg20210412_155516.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That is one huge shower, I love it. Enjoy :)

Oh, we will. It'll be the Cadillac of showers. 3 separate systems in there. One for her with just an overhead rainshower. One for me standing with overhead rainshower and 3 wall jets aimed directly at the trouble spots on my back. For days when I'm having a hard time standing, I have the built-in bench complete with a separate shower wand and 2 wall jets aimed at my back. It's more like a spas.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Still waiting on the counters and shower fixtures to be installed but the blinds came in. We went with the pleated horizontal blinds that can be lowered from the top or raised from the bottom. They'll allow plenty of light to come in and allow us to look outside meanwhile providing protection for the lower part of the window in case a squirrel or tweety bird wants to look at my stuff and think it's a tree branch they can climb or land on. 😋

20210421_143716.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Ok. Even with the different shower heads, we gave it a whirl last night after a hot tub and the pressure was fine with both right and left overhead sprays on. The left overhead only lost pressure when the wall jets were on. Overall we're pleased with how it turned out.