• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Backhoe climbing... Sorta

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
This is pretty neat!
This guy is not only a hell of a heavy equipment operator but he has balls of steel... Just hope he doesn't blow a hydraulic hose
Yeah the language is German but it doesn't matter... *This takes place in Vienna Austria..
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RobaJKGMMiE"]YouTube- Liebherr[/ame]

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
It does not show how he got back down. I am sure the same way he got up.

New machine, hope they tested it quite well before the attempt.

Add nuts to his machine operating qualities.

Lia

Banned
Good grief!!! I am awed! I wanna marry that guy!! lol.

I'm just a little puzzled... why did he do it? What was the purpose of the 'stunt?' What would one call that?

I'm simply blown away by his skill with that machine, and by his nerve.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That is a traveling show put on by the manufacturer to demonstrate the strength of their machinery. The tower is specially made with pads to lock down the tracks in between the lifts. The hydraulics are the real showpiece of the demonstration as well as the steel of the excavator arms.

Lia

Banned
That is a traveling show put on by the manufacturer to demonstrate the strength of their machinery. The tower is specially made with pads to lock down the tracks in between the lifts. The hydraulics are the real showpiece of the demonstration as well as the steel of the excavator arms.

Simply amazing! Thanks for the explanation muleman. :)

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
That's pretty old - those girls at the start were the hot young Spice Girls of 20 years ago. ;)

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I call that foolhardy and unnecessary Danger!

Accually that is pretty safe, when the unit locks the tracks down, or the boom, that is pretty much a done deal... It won't go anywhere from there.

It was made to look scary, more so than it is.

Even if the hydraulic hoses broke, there is a set of safety valves what would lock up and prevent the cylinder from moving, and worse case is they would need a ladder truck to get him out of the cab and a crane to lower it back down.

Other than costing a lot of money, I would say that is more fun than danger.

Lia

Banned
Other than costing a lot of money, I would say that is more fun than danger.

Yes, I would expect that the costs of such a stunt would seem to be worth it in terms of commercial and financial dividends to the company. And I certainly found the video enthralling; but, I’m still puzzled by the ‘why’ of this particular feat and showmanship…

No-one in the market for such machines would be looking for this type of ‘manoeuvre’ surely, would they? So, call me naïve, but how does it, the stunt, show off the vehicle’s attributes? I don’t know a thing about Cranes and Diggers, if that’s the terminology, so perhaps this question will seem real stupid to you guy’s, I don’t know…

Is it a ‘just because they can’ thing?

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Yes, I would expect that the costs of such a stunt would seem to be worth it in terms of commercial and financial dividends to the company. And I certainly found the video enthralling; but, I’m still puzzled by the ‘why’ of this particular feat and showmanship…

No-one in the market for such machines would be looking for this type of ‘manoeuvre’ surely, would they? So, call me naïve, but how does it, the stunt, show off the vehicle’s attributes? I don’t know a thing about Cranes and Diggers, if that’s the terminology, so perhaps this question will seem real stupid to you guy’s, I don’t know…

Is it a ‘just because they can’ thing?

Same reason that Car manufactures sponsor race cars, just because one brand wins, don't translate into that is what you are going to use your car for, but it gives a bit of status.

By racing, they do find areas in engineering that they can make on family cars to make them safer too because of all the wrecks...lol.

The backhoe climbing the tower has no real reason other than to show how strong the machine is to market it's powerful hydraulics, boom and other features... sexy it ain't, but that is what the gaggle of gals were for...:flowers:

Besides, maybe one day someone will buy one and fall into a hole they are digging, they can always hope they can dig their way back out after watching the video...:yum:

Lia

Banned
Same reason that Car manufactures sponsor race cars, just because one brand wins, don't translate into that is what you are going to use your car for, but it gives a bit of status.

By racing, they do find areas in engineering that they can make on family cars to make them safer too because of all the wrecks...lol.

The backhoe climbing the tower has no real reason other than to show how strong the machine is to market it's powerful hydraulics, boom and other features... sexy it ain't, but that is what the gaggle of gals were for...:flowers:

Besides, maybe one day someone will buy one and fall into a hole they are digging, they can always hope they can dig their way back out after watching the video...:yum:

lol, yes, it would certainly come in handy if something like that should befall one... Hey! Anythings possible! :yum:

But, seriously, you are dead wrong to say that it was not a sexy feat; not only did I find it fun and awesome to watch, but found the guy who drove the machine really sexy. It was nothing to do with looks, it was simply that he could do this. He came across as very laid back and blase about the whole thing. Very cool! I dunno, perhaps I'm just weird... lol

I mean, I have a great deal of respect and awe for heavy vehicle drivers; I pride myself on being a confident and a good driver, but drive a vehicle the size of some of those such as artics and dog and ducks etc? I simply couldn't, no matter how confident I am on the roads. I think those drivers are amazing.

Trakternut

Foggy's right. It's a good demonstration on the strengths of the structure of the excavator and the hydraulic system.
I've done a few hours on such a machine, myself, and nothing's more disappointing than to hook onto a rock or a slab of frozen ground and not be able to budge it because the hydraulics don't have any power.
The outfit I worked for had a 2800 Linkbelt that would pick the back of the machine off the ground when you grabbed onto something like that. Nowdays, most of them will.
As for falling into a hole??? Yeah, you can dig and pull yourself out. Heck, they pulled our D5LGP dozer out of quicksand with that 2800.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
lol, yes, it would certainly come in handy if something like that should befall one... Hey! Anythings possible! :yum:

But, seriously, you are dead wrong to say that it was not a sexy feat; not only did I find it fun and awesome to watch, but found the guy who drove the machine really sexy. It was nothing to do with looks, it was simply that he could do this. He came across as very laid back and blase about the whole thing. Very cool! I dunno, perhaps I'm just weird... lol

I mean, I have a great deal of respect and awe for heavy vehicle drivers; I pride myself on being a confident and a good driver, but drive a vehicle the size of some of those such as artics and dog and ducks etc? I simply couldn't, no matter how confident I am on the roads. I think those drivers are amazing.

You know... Lots of us here drive big equipment around...
:yum: