• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

any users of bivy stick?

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Been looking at this one, Some good points, some maybe not so good.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Been looking at this one, Some good points, some maybe not so good.

Resurrecting this thread because I was looking at one of these back when I was considering Garmin, Spot and Zoleo.

Honestly I discounted the BivyStick pretty quickly because of the way it's pricing plan works. Rather than a "monthly" subscription like all the other units, the BivyStick sells "units" that you use for various function. This can either save you a ton of money or cost you a ton of money depending upon how you use the device.

For example, if you check the weather forecast that is 1 unit per weather check. If you drop electronic breadcrumbs on an internet based map, that is 1 unit per hour. If you send OR if you receive a message, each of those uses 1 unit. It seems that you can, unlike some of the other brands, turn your subscription on or off without paying added convenience fees, Just pay $18/month for any month you plan to use the unit, get 20 credits. But it also seems like the monthly fee is high for what you get compared to the other competitors.

Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 9.26.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 9.27.24 AM.png

So looking at the plan above, if I use it on a motorcycle trip that is 3 days long, and if I have it tracking me for 8 hours per day, I will use 24 credits just for the tracking function that drops an electronic pin on an internet map so my wife knows that I am still moving (therefore alive). 24 credits if 4 credits OVER my limit, so I would pay 50-Cents per extra credit. Add in a few "check in" messages or a message saying I arrived at a campsite each night and I'm farther over my limit, adding in a few more charges. To eliminate the extra charges I could up to the $40/month plan but Spot offers that functionality for $12/month

BivyStick uses the Iridium network that covers OCEANS and the Arctic Circle, central China, central Africa, which are NOT covered by SPOT so if you are planning to go to those areas then it would be a better choice, but at that point I'd probably grab a Garmin InReach Mini, which offers the same functions, a few others, at the same initial cost and with a monthly subscription that might work better for many people's needs.

For whatever it is worth, BivyStick is now owned and marketed by ARC, the maker of emergency beacons, EPIRB units, etc. ARC has a great reputation for making rugged safety communicators so I suspect the BivyStick is a very well made reliable unit.

Reactions: Doc

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Good points on comparison. For my use it is more restrictive. either emergency, or a "i'm staying over another night " so they don't launch a search party. or if there is emergency at home I can be found. I doubt I'm going to use it (whichever I settle on) at all, it's more the backup to murphy's law.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good points on comparison. For my use it is more restrictive. either emergency, or a "i'm staying over another night " so they don't launch a search party. or if there is emergency at home I can be found. I doubt I'm going to use it (whichever I settle on) at all, it's more the backup to murphy's law.
For that type of use you may find the BivyStick to be the most economical? Costs about $350 + $17 for 20 units of use. It costs $17 each additional year for the basic package. You do have to remember to have your service TURNED OFF at the end of the trip and turned back on or the $17 fee is charged monthly.

A Spot Gen 4 costs about $99. It is a 1 way communicator. SOS button. Check In button. Pre-programmed message button. Tracking button. It will cost you $12/month or $144/year for the basic package.

So assume you have use of these items for "20" transmissions/receptions over the course of 1 full year.

BivyStick
$367 in total costs for 1 year. ($349 + $17)
$384 in total costs for 2 years. (an additional $17)
$399 in total costs for 3 years.

SPOT Gen 4
$243 in total costs for 1 year. ($99 + $144)
$382 in total costs for 2 years. (an additional $144)
$526 in total costs for 3 years.

The math changes slightly if you use a larger plan for the BivyStick but honestly for "occasional use" the BivyStick is the cheaper alternative

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Closing the loop on the bivy Stick. I got it at discount(U$200) if I signed up for 4 months "plus service". I will drop back to basic this month. Texting works fine with the phone app. And it (if you let it) pulls your contacts for messages from your phone. I found camping it was able to be put in the open and I was able to connect at ~ 50 ft. you get a dedicated "phone number" and email for inbound messages. If you are texting back and forth, I had to prompt it to check for messages a few times. As with any of the LEO sat's, the clearer the sky view the better. I don't breadcrumb so I don't know haw that works. I send a position text at start, and one at camp so the search area is smaller if it comes to that.

Overall I'm good with it.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
. . . I don't breadcrumb so I don't know haw that works. I send a position text at start, and one at camp so the search area is smaller if it comes to that.

Overall I'm good with it.
For my uses, which is basically so my wife can see I am moving on my motorcycle and not dead in a ditch, the breadcrumbs are the most important feature. The SPOT excels in breadcrumb tracking over the IRIDIUM based units, but the IRIDIUM units (several different brands available) are probably faster communicators and possibly more reliable communicators too. ]

I understand others have different uses/needs.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anything new on the Bivy stick? Looking at getting a Sat Phone for Joseph.
From what I can tell the BEST answer for Iridium users is the Garmin. Iridium is used by Bivy Stick, Garmin and at least 2 other companies. All charge very similar prices. Garmin seems to be the overall favorite.

For the budget minded, or those who want more flexible texting, then the SPOT system seems to be a viable alternative, it uses a different satellite network that has fewer satellites and somewhat slower connections.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
InReach Messenger is basically a screen-less InReach Mini.

Both run on the Iridium network. The Garmin plan is what you need to look at, not the devices. Decide what you are going to use the device for and how much you need it. Then see how affordable or expensive the plan will be to operate for you. Some user found the device to be the cheap part of the purchase and then were shocked when they started actually using the devices because there are all sorts of added fees, etc.

There are 2 satellite networks. Iridium and Globalstar. Each has their strengths.

The Iridium satellite network, which has the largest number of satellites and covers the entire globe, pole to pole and across the oceans. It is notably the most expensive network to use, but probably has slightly faster communication to/from the satellites. It is considered a very robust system, but can be pricy to use.

Globalstar, the competition, used by SPOT devices. uses a network that does not cover the oceans, much of China, parts of Africa and I'm not sure if it covers the arctic/antartic circles. But basically covers 100% of North, Central and South America. With lots of user definable messages available, that have unlimited use under fairly inexpensive plans, it is the cheaper system to use for frequent communication.

Last edited:

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Im happy with my bivy stick. Does what I need and at a good price point. Since my use is more seasonal the credits accumulate leaving me a good pool to use with the cat. I have the cheap plan and just keep it all year with the bivy in the truck just in case.

Reactions: Doc

vintagebike

well now what? Fifty Senators ( Democrats?) were issued SatPhones. What"s going on? If you get a part time plan how do you get it turned if the s hits the fan?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am happy with my SPOT X

2 way coms, SOS, inexpensive insurance

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
how do you get part time SAT plans turned on if comms are down?
No clue, I have a full time plan.

Full time plans, paid up front, with SPOT, front load all your benefits and give cheaper monthly rates. The plans that let you turn off/on/off/on your plan typically, with most satellite companies, charge more up front so it is a much smaller savings than people understand versus just leaving it on.