• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Antartica Expedition: Motorcycles to the South Pole?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ever look at a map of the world and wonder: What the heck is actually left to explore?

Royal Enfield motorcycles has done the same thing. They realized the only places that remain relatively unconquered by motorcycle are the Far North and the Far South.

In an effort to showcase the capabilities of the Royal Enfield Himalayan adventure bike, Royal Enfield is planning a journey to the South Pole.

PGBC

That is pretty cool.

But would have been much better if it had been say a group of 3, 4, 5 bikes only, and no vehicles.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
W
That is pretty cool.

But would have been much better if it had been say a group of 3, 4, 5 bikes only, and no vehicles.
without the vehicles breaking trail for them, they don't go so good. I lived in Michigan when I was a kid, I had a 350cc Kawasaki 2 stroke dirt bike that I rode all winter ( which was likely 1/2 the weight of those bikes). You could do ok on snow covered dirt roads, when off the road 18" of snow and you were done. Ice with screws in the tires worked great, just watch out for tire ruts in the ice.

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
Motorcycles + Snow. Mmmm, WHY? I have enough trouble keeping my bike upright on dry dirt.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
I might take a plane there and land for about ten minutes but that's it. The Military does have planes with skis, as well as wheels, for landing.

By the way, the altitude there is close to 10,000 feet above sea level.

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
Well, maybe stay off dirt :rolf2:
But the dirt is where the fun is.
IMG_0471.JPG