Air in water lines

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the input, Franc. What's a damper?

Just inside the wall behind the shutoff valve is a 8" pipe going vertical. It is full of air and acts as a sort of spring to absorb hydraulic pressure when the faucet is closed.

my sister had the same problem in their house.water hammer and other strange noises along with relief valve on water heater leaking.i installed a thermal expansion tank for them and all the troubles went away.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
The problem was my pressure regulator. Had 150 PSI at the fixtures. Yowza!!

Got a new one installed using teflon tape with Rectorseal as well as a Sharkbite fitting (those things are amazing!). Had it done in less than 90 minutes (including taking out the old crapped up valve and unsoldering one fitting). Now I'm down to 48 PSI. :clap:

Before and after pics:

Attachments

• jpUpsidedown1fixed.jpg
    jpUpsidedown1fixed.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 21
  • jpUpsidedown2fixed.jpg
    jpUpsidedown2fixed.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 21

zekeusa

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
150psi! That would get your attention in the shower! I have the identical valve. There's a screen with a spring and check ball in there I guess your supposed to clean once and a while. Mine was really crapped up with sand and rust. You must have a high pressure well pump!

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
150psi! That would get your attention in the shower! I have the identical valve. There's a screen with a spring and check ball in there I guess your supposed to clean once and a while. Mine was really crapped up with sand and rust. You must have a high pressure well pump!

Yes, the shower was more like pressure washer. :w00t2:

No pump. We're on city water. :ermm: