• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

aftermarket PTO speed increaser?

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Having looked, but unable to find. I'm looking for a 1:1.3 (or so) PTO gearbox. I want 540 output, but don't want to run the tractor at full throttle. The tractor has plenty HP at the lower RPM. Deere offered this as a factory option, but having it installed after, well might as well buy a new tractor..... I can find pto speed DEcreasers but most are based on worm drive which can't be back fed. So, before I do the DYI approack, I thought I would see what the group know about.

J5 Bombardier

I've never heard of that option on a tractor ,is it to run a generator ? Usually guys run their 540 generators (very carefully !) off the 1000 shaft if it's on the tractor. As you said the tractor doesn't break a sweat at the lower RPM , less stress full when your in the house, rather than listening to it screaming at 2100.
I ran a generator off 540 with a reversed 3 speed trans in between for quite a few years , it got tired in the end, so I took the reduction gears off the 25 kw generator and put behind a 3-71 detroit . So at 1800 rpm , ear muffs are required and it likes a little over 2 gallons of diesel an hour , I may switch it to a Isuzu motor if one pops up.
J5 Bombardier

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
. Deere offered this as a factory option, but having it installed after, well might as well buy a new tractor.....
I know the pain. I wanted the opposite. I wanted 540 from a 1,000 rpm shaft some years ago. I did run into an outfit,
don't remember the name off hand that made a reduction box that I wanted. I called them to find out it had been discontinued the year before.

So for some time, I have been on the hunt for a 100HP+ tractor with a 540 PTO or one than can be changed for either one.
I had one spotted a FW 25 Ford FWA but someone else jumped on it first. I have a Woods rear mower and a Gen set that require 540.
Oh, and a 10" grain auger as well...

The hunt goes on. :tiphat:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've never heard of that option on a tractor ,is it to run a generator ? Usually guys run their 540 generators (very carefully !) off the 1000 shaft if it's on the tractor. As you said the tractor doesn't break a sweat at the lower RPM , less stress full when your in the house, rather than listening to it screaming at 2100.
I ran a generator off 540 with a reversed 3 speed trans in between for quite a few years , it got tired in the end, so I took the reduction gears off the 25 kw generator and put behind a 3-71 detroit . So at 1800 rpm , ear muffs are required and it likes a little over 2 gallons of diesel an hour , I may switch it to a Isuzu motor if one pops up.
J5 Bombardier

I have a 30KW genset with a bad generator head. It has a 300CID Ford straight-6 industrial engine that purrs like a kitten.
Have been pondering how to reduce it from 1800 RPM down to 540. Can I ask what tranny you used to do the reduction?
BTW - The setup I have (good engine, bad generator head, good trailer & fuel tanks) is for sale if anyone is interested.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Having looked, but unable to find. I'm looking for a 1:1.3 (or so) PTO gearbox. I want 540 output, but don't want to run the tractor at full throttle. The tractor has plenty HP at the lower RPM. Deere offered this as a factory option, but having it installed after, well might as well buy a new tractor..... I can find pto speed DEcreasers but most are based on worm drive which can't be back fed. So, before I do the DYI approack, I thought I would see what the group know about.
theres a green gearbox for roller pump but i cant find it on their web page

what about this its 90 degrees

New! ToolTuff Direct Rc50 Rotary Cutter Gearbox 1.47 Ratio Smooth Input Shaft, 47-006

J5 Bombardier

I have a 30KW genset with a bad generator head. It has a 300CID Ford straight-6 industrial engine that purrs like a kitten.
Have been pondering how to reduce it from 1800 RPM down to 540. Can I ask what tranny you used to do the reduction?
BTW - The setup I have (good engine, bad generator head, good trailer & fuel tanks) is for sale if anyone is interested.
The trans was a three speed out of a 70's International pickup which I turned around , the output was then the input. I used it for quite a while , it was a stop gap until I rigged up a stationary engine. Not necessarily a good set up, but I used what junk I had around at the time. I would look into maybe a NP 205 transfer case, you would have to crunch the numbers on output speed .I think it is almost 2:1 when it's in 4Lo, might not be enough reduction for what you want.
J5 Bombardier

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Appreciate the looking. Unfortunatly I need in line with same rotation direction. The 3:1 increase is a bit much and it's only 14 hp. I need about 30 HP . I may have to build one. An old 3sp Brownie might do as I could then have both a direct and an overdrive. But their getting rare to find .