aftermarket PTO speed increaser?

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Having looked, but unable to find. I'm looking for a 1:1.3 (or so) PTO gearbox. I want 540 output, but don't want to run the tractor at full throttle. The tractor has plenty HP at the lower RPM. Deere offered this as a factory option, but having it installed after, well might as well buy a new tractor..... I can find pto speed DEcreasers but most are based on worm drive which can't be back fed. So, before I do the DYI approack, I thought I would see what the group know about.

J5 Bombardier

I've never heard of that option on a tractor ,is it to run a generator ? Usually guys run their 540 generators (very carefully !) off the 1000 shaft if it's on the tractor. As you said the tractor doesn't break a sweat at the lower RPM , less stress full when your in the house, rather than listening to it screaming at 2100.
I ran a generator off 540 with a reversed 3 speed trans in between for quite a few years , it got tired in the end, so I took the reduction gears off the 25 kw generator and put behind a 3-71 detroit . So at 1800 rpm , ear muffs are required and it likes a little over 2 gallons of diesel an hour , I may switch it to a Isuzu motor if one pops up.
J5 Bombardier

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
. Deere offered this as a factory option, but having it installed after, well might as well buy a new tractor.....
I know the pain. I wanted the opposite. I wanted 540 from a 1,000 rpm shaft some years ago. I did run into an outfit,
don't remember the name off hand that made a reduction box that I wanted. I called them to find out it had been discontinued the year before.

So for some time, I have been on the hunt for a 100HP+ tractor with a 540 PTO or one than can be changed for either one.
I had one spotted a FW 25 Ford FWA but someone else jumped on it first. I have a Woods rear mower and a Gen set that require 540.
Oh, and a 10" grain auger as well...

The hunt goes on. :tiphat:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've never heard of that option on a tractor ,is it to run a generator ? Usually guys run their 540 generators (very carefully !) off the 1000 shaft if it's on the tractor. As you said the tractor doesn't break a sweat at the lower RPM , less stress full when your in the house, rather than listening to it screaming at 2100.
I ran a generator off 540 with a reversed 3 speed trans in between for quite a few years , it got tired in the end, so I took the reduction gears off the 25 kw generator and put behind a 3-71 detroit . So at 1800 rpm , ear muffs are required and it likes a little over 2 gallons of diesel an hour , I may switch it to a Isuzu motor if one pops up.
J5 Bombardier

I have a 30KW genset with a bad generator head. It has a 300CID Ford straight-6 industrial engine that purrs like a kitten.
Have been pondering how to reduce it from 1800 RPM down to 540. Can I ask what tranny you used to do the reduction?
BTW - The setup I have (good engine, bad generator head, good trailer & fuel tanks) is for sale if anyone is interested.

tommu56

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Having looked, but unable to find. I'm looking for a 1:1.3 (or so) PTO gearbox. I want 540 output, but don't want to run the tractor at full throttle. The tractor has plenty HP at the lower RPM. Deere offered this as a factory option, but having it installed after, well might as well buy a new tractor..... I can find pto speed DEcreasers but most are based on worm drive which can't be back fed. So, before I do the DYI approack, I thought I would see what the group know about.
theres a green gearbox for roller pump but i cant find it on their web page

what about this its 90 degrees

New! ToolTuff Direct Rc50 Rotary Cutter Gearbox 1.47 Ratio Smooth Input Shaft, 47-006

J5 Bombardier

I have a 30KW genset with a bad generator head. It has a 300CID Ford straight-6 industrial engine that purrs like a kitten.
Have been pondering how to reduce it from 1800 RPM down to 540. Can I ask what tranny you used to do the reduction?
BTW - The setup I have (good engine, bad generator head, good trailer & fuel tanks) is for sale if anyone is interested.
The trans was a three speed out of a 70's International pickup which I turned around , the output was then the input. I used it for quite a while , it was a stop gap until I rigged up a stationary engine. Not necessarily a good set up, but I used what junk I had around at the time. I would look into maybe a NP 205 transfer case, you would have to crunch the numbers on output speed .I think it is almost 2:1 when it's in 4Lo, might not be enough reduction for what you want.
J5 Bombardier

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Appreciate the looking. Unfortunatly I need in line with same rotation direction. The 3:1 increase is a bit much and it's only 14 hp. I need about 30 HP . I may have to build one. An old 3sp Brownie might do as I could then have both a direct and an overdrive. But their getting rare to find .