Aches and Pains Thread

Jim_S

Spammer Hammer
GOLD Site Supporter
Probably your only safe option right now Jim.
It wouldn't be safe for you to take aspirin or ibuprofen either.
I'm not a doctor, but I've known more than most of them when it comes to these things.
We both practice what we know from books , education and experience.
My experience has been that I often know more than them.
:yum:

I take the 325’s instead of the extra strength and to not take them very often.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Mostly I ignore pain; it has been a companion for a long time and lets me know I'm still alive. About the only time I medicate for pain is after surgery and then not more than 36 hours. At those times I've found that Torodol works best for me; it actually makes any pain just "go away" for six hours. A true Wonder drug, for me at least! :smile: :clap:

I have a regimen of drugs daily that keep me on the green side of the lawn. (Diabetes, hypertension, and a tendency toward sinus/chest congestion.) I'm not too worried: the odds are in favor of me dying because I irritated some liberal snowflake past it's endurance point!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've been managing my pain fairly well the past few months. Tonight is a different story. Since it was Friday night, we stayed up a bit later than usual in order to avoid being wide awake at 6am. That literally backfired. Meaning it was 4am and I was wide awake with my back on fire. I have permanent muscle and nerve damage going from where the ribs join onto the vertebrae where I broke three vertebrae. Also right down where the vertebrae joins the pelvis.

When I flare up like this, no amount of medication will help. It hurts to sit down. It hurts to stand. It hurts to lay down. There is no relief.

I'm not talking about regular back pain. It's burning so much that the muscles in my legs are a burning numbness and I can't feel my feet. So I'm back to walking at a snails pace with two canes.

Jim_S

Spammer Hammer
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been managing my pain fairly well the past few months. Tonight is a different story. Since it was Friday night, we stayed up a bit later than usual in order to avoid being wide awake at 6am. That literally backfired. Meaning it was 4am and I was wide awake with my back on fire. I have permanent muscle and nerve damage going from where the ribs join onto the vertebrae where I broke three vertebrae. Also right down where the vertebrae joins the pelvis.

When I flare up like this, no amount of medication will help. It hurts to sit down. It hurts to stand. It hurts to lay down. There is no relief.

I'm not talking about regular back pain. It's burning so much that the muscles in my legs are a burning numbness and I can't feel my feet. So I'm back to walking at a snails pace with two canes.

Hope your pain eases up soon.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter

I have a regimen of drugs daily that keep me on the green side of the lawn. (Diabetes, hypertension, and a tendency toward sinus/chest congestion.) I'm not too worried: the odds are in favor of me dying because I irritated some liberal snowflake past it's endurance point!

It seems that we have both arrived at the same point in life. I'm pretty much on the same cocktail of drugs. I don't take painkillers as a general rule. I can't even remember the last time I popped one but the way my back keeps on getting worse it may not be too long.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
We bought a new mattress about a year and a half ago. If I had another one, I would be guilty of a private bon fire in the back yard tonight if I had my way. :hammer: Memory foam just means you lay in the same hole you made night after night. A night in a hotel with a firm mattress sealed the deal for me. When you wake up in the morning hurting, and the night before you weren't you need a new one.. :hammer:

I see no one makes a mattress that can be flipped. I have to wonder if the makers of these had a pow wow in the Bahama's and are colluding to make us purchase a new one every several years. :hammer:

I wish I could buy a Serta Perfect Sleeper as we had. Son of guns don't make them any more that are free of that bullsh1t foam and are not able to be flipped unless you like sleeping on cardboard.. :hammer:

For the pain in my shoulders, I take Alieve, but only sparingly. To much of anything is bad, and it works best the less you use. JMHO

Regards, Kirk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We bought a new semi firm mattress about 4 years ago. It's been good. But I've discovered that I can't lay flat since my accident. So I have a wedge pillow to elevate my upper body. Problem is that my back now needs as soft as I can get it and that wedge pillow is a firm foam. So I improvised. I have the wedge, then a very soft foam pillow under my back and a thicker pillow under my head. Not to mention a grab bar to help me get up on my own in the morning otherwise it ain't happening.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
baths-- gotta luv 'em--
i'm pushing 4 a bubble-jet tub~~
forgot to mention neuropathy--
you have pins-&-needles, arms, feet, always-- you can make your way, except, literally, on pins & needles--
cannot say how that affects you- fretting over my career, family, being social, chit...... typing is an effort--
typing~~

Last edited:
I live with 60+ yrs of osteoarthritis and the last 10 yrs from a messed up hip replacement.

I use ALL supplements and what helps me is 1 ibuprofen and 1 extra strength tylenol every 6 hrs and I take supplements for liver and stomach protection. Never take the above 2 on empty stomach, always with some food. And refuse the pharma heavy duty drugs...

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
2 yrs later and I'm on a daily cocktail of pain meds. I take aleve and ibuprofen morning and night along with baclofen (a nerve pill) and medical marijuana. I take it in pill form which is a low dose thc pill that's slow release and doesn't give any cognitive side effects but helps to reduce the pain.

In the evening at 9pm, my morning meds have gone so I take another aleve ibuprofen a sleeping pill and head outside for a hoot of a higher thc indica. The other meds take a couple hours to kick in so the thc indica is like a kick in the a$$ to calm the nerves and ease the pain until the pills kick in. It's literally the only thing that has allowed me to sleep a full night since my accident 5 years ago.

I talk to myself to get an expert opinion.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Essentially, I'm still in the same place that I was two years ago although my back is worse after my little episode a year ago. That took 6 months to sort itself out ... kinda.

I'm still popping pills and shooting up for all the same problems. My kidney doctor warned me off all pain relievers except Tylenol. Not that it matters much, I don't take any anyway. According to me, I take too many pills as it is although, in reality, not many of them are prescription, only 4 I think. I think that a small toddy every night helps with pain and also helps me sleep, otherwise I just live with it. I have my bad days and my slightly better days but mostly they are okay and I just get on with it as best as I can. I've used and abused this body for over 70 years so I'm just paying the price for that now.

Wear and tear and years of use/abuse, I didn't sit around and I'm 82.

On the replacement issues, many do good and many don't. I'm one who didn't with hip replacement.