• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

A truck fallowed me home today.... well more like I drove it home.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I needed to replace my old Ford 6.0 F 250 as it is a 2006 and has on the far side of 350K miles.

This morning I bought a 2016 Ram 2500 crew cab long box HD Cummins 7.4 liter diesel. My first Dodge pick up truck.
Hope it serves me well. So far I like it a lot. My Ford was also crew cab long box. My Dad bought a Chevy crew cab long box new in 1976. So for me the length of these long Tom's is some thing I am used to. Nasty to park in towns how ever at times. But the do ride rather nice for a 4X4 trucks.

Regards, Kirk

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I do like those crew cab long beds. You can pick your own flavor. Me? I've had a Ford F350 crew cab long bed dually 4x4 with the 7.3 liter Powerstroke for over 20 years. I keep on threatening to get rid of it as I don't really need anything that big any more but it keeps on running and it is paid for so I guess that I'll be be keeping it for a while longer.

You are right though. It's not a commuter truck. Among its other duties it was the tow truck for the 40 foot 5th wheel when I had it. It pulled the fiver great but as an every day vehicle in some of those small towns and windy mountain roads it left you longing for something just a tad smaller.

Enjoy your new vehicle. It's amazing the technology that they pack into a truck these days.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
If I is anything like my 1995 3500 Cummins powered Dodge, you will get over the parking issue in a heartbeat.

Well after 350,000 miles it is still kicking. I'm towing a 20 foot trailer today all the way to Toledo OHIO. Hauling a 500 gallon diesel tank on wheels back to my Ozark ranch.

Dodge trucks are preferred for tow vehicles. Having one for over 25 years, I can see why.

No worries.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats on the new truck Kirk. I'm planning to replace my 1/2 ton 05 crew cab Silverado in the not to distant future. I got sticker shock looking at new ones. Holy moley. Crazy prices. Even a year or two old are over 40 to 50k. To be expected when they were 70k or more new. Over double the price of my first house. :pat: LOL Long way of saying seems smart to me to shop and buy one a few years old instead of paying the price for a brand new one. Good choice on your part. :tiphat:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome. Hope it treats you well.

When it's time to replace the f150, I have my eyes set on a used f250 with the 6ft box. All the truck I'll ever need. But the 90k+ sticker price on a new one with the options I want is a wee bit more than I want to spend. So if I can pick up a used one fully loaded only 2-3 years old for around the 40-50k mark, I'll be happy.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got underneath the Dodge today for a look around on a creeper.
No rust any were. It has been undercoated with something. Really looks good.
With 60K miles and the way it looks I have to wonder if it was used to pull a 5th Wheel trailer down South for the winter before I bought it.
It should last me as long as I care to have a use for it. That is the plan anyway....

Regards, Kirk

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats on your new truck!

Congrats on the new truck Kirk. I'm planning to replace my 1/2 ton 05 crew cab Silverado in the not to distant future. I got sticker shock looking at new ones. Holy moley. Crazy prices. Even a year or two old are over 40 to 50k. To be expected when they were 70k or more new. Over double the price of my first house. :pat: LOL Long way of saying seems smart to me to shop and buy one a few years old instead of paying the price for a brand new one. Good choice on your part. :tiphat:

Doc - I had an '05 as well, in very clean condition. When I was shopping for a new truck in 2016, they looked over my truck and their initial offer to me on it was $15,000. I think I got a little more than that once we were done negotiating. Considering I paid $25K for it, drove it for 11 years, I'd say it held its value nicely. Also, when I bought the new Silverado, they knocked something like $10K off the sticker price.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats on your new truck!

Doc - I had an '05 as well, in very clean condition. When I was shopping for a new truck in 2016, they looked over my truck and their initial offer to me on it was $15,000. I think I got a little more than that once we were done negotiating. Considering I paid $25K for it, drove it for 11 years, I'd say it held its value nicely. Also, when I bought the new Silverado, they knocked something like $10K off the sticker price.
:wow: That is sure impressive. Mine is in great shape and only has 83k miles on it. Power steering pump appears to be out but otherwise all good. I was thinking I'd sell it for 8k. I paid 19k for it in 2009, so even getting 12 for it would be fantastic.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Take it to a dealer and see what they'll give you on trade. I honestly thought they were going to offer me under $7K so I was nearly floored when they started at $15K (plus the $10K off sticker). I was out the door for under $25K cash on a new $50K truck (I only got the LT model. Way too many options I wouldn't use on the upper end models).

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm thinking of getting a Dodge 3500 this year. I want to get a trailer that might put me over 26K but as long as I stay within 150 miles of the "the farm" I think I can get away with the few times I might go over 26K.

I love my 2004 V10 F250 but I need a little more towing power.

I drive so little these days (and hopefully forever) - I'm hoping this will be my last truck for a long time. It may also be the last chance to buy a big diesel truck given the new administration.

Reactions: Doc

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
A few thoughts on the Dodge.....
The heater defroster is not up to par with the Ford offering. My 06 Ford easily beats this 2016 Dodge in this department.
Fuel filters are expensive. Like $145 for the front one, and NAPA could not come up with one that fit. Chrysler is were I had to go.. and the rear is another $50. So it takes $200 to change both. I will not be using them in the future, as an after market adaptor lets you use a Caterpillar filters, cheaper by far, and a better filters to boot for the front and the rear filters....
When will Dodge or any other manufacture get smart enough to understand all trucks Medium duty on up to class 8 heavy duty all utilize a tilt up hood assembly so some one can actually get to the engine to work on it? Idiots they are. Ford requires removal of the cab to remove the engine. Total garbage. Tilt the dam hoods some one!!!

Regards, Kirk