542 Cab Forward Restoration

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Here is the carburetor rebuild, complete and ready to install. Cleaned everything, re-plated many parts, soda blasted, new rebuild kit, new float, required one ebay donor carb for a few screws and the air filter mount. Carburetor is a Holley 1920 one barrel.

Before:

DSCN0789.JPG
DSCN4319.JPG

After: Don't look to close, yes that is the kitchen table I did this reassembly at. My wife was at work, so all is good.
IMG_20210413_114048672.jpg
IMG_20210413_124921374.jpg
IMG_20210413_125014732.jpg

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
The distributor has also been rebuilt. Luckily the vacuum advance is still good, this is one part I was not able to find for replacement. So instead I partially disassembled, cleaned, pored some rubber rejuvinator in both sides, tested it, and all looks good now. This required blasting, both some soda and some grit, cleaned, painted, plated, replaced points, condenser, rotor, cap, lubricated, ready to install. I also found a low profile air filter from Mr. Gasket, I am waiting on an extension nut I need to mount it to the bracket, then it will be done and ready to install.

Distributor is a Prestolite IAT 4416. Point gap 0.020"

Before:

IMG_20210405_190750750.jpg
IMG_20210405_193420089.jpg

After:

IMG_20210408_091701243.jpg
IMG_20210408_102848763.jpg

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
external filter provides for more fluid for the system, and it is a larger filter and might do a better job, I have also seen many set ups with the external filters with a pressure gauge as part on the system, and it is also easier to change the filter, IMHO, and what do I know, would go with the external filter...

Last edited:

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Whiper motors are ready to install. The cat only had one whiper motor (driver side) when I got it, the second one (passenger side) was long gone. I was able to fine one NOS whiper motor and purchased it, opened it up and put new grease in the gearbox and oiled the motor bearings, then placed the oscillating arm in the gearbox to 120 degree swing, the same as the other unit. The original whiper unit worked well but the output shaft end was torn up. I was able to salvage a better output shaft from one of the two whiper units that came with the 1969 542 frame I purchased a couple years ago. Also cleaned up the gearbox and put new grease in it, as well as oiled the motor bearings and cleaned up the motor commutator a bit. After all this got the nuts, washers, and gaskets ready that hold the unit to the body. Then covered all vent holes and soda blasted both, primed, and painted. Plus bought new universal wiper arms and blades.

DSCN0733.JPG
DSCN0787.JPG
DSCN2935.JPG
IMG_20210414_153733615.jpg
IMG_20210416_091040888.jpg

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Speedo is ready to go. Sent it off for refurbishment and a new drive housing and inner drive cable. Got it back and had to tear it back apart to fix what they screwed up. Now it is ready to install.

IMG_20191206_111540385.jpg
IMG_20191206_111552267.jpg
IMG_20191206_112804421.jpg
IMG_20210416_091422741.jpg
IMG_20210416_091435703.jpg

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
GMoose,

I've said this before, but for me the Gold Standard of snowcat restorations was established by Weatherby on his ex-USAF Thiokol 601. Sadly, he doesn't show up on the forum much anymore, but I think he would be every bit as impressed with your workmanship, no, make that craftsmanship, as I am.

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
GMoose,

I've said this before, but for me the Gold Standard of snowcat restorations was established by Weatherby on his ex-USAF Thiokol 601. Sadly, he doesn't show up on the forum much anymore, but I think he would be every bit as impressed with your workmanship, no, make that craftsmanship, as I am.
Well thanks. The engine rebuild should be coming soon, hope to get the pre work done this coming week. Have all but two small seals to complete the rebuild. Seals are being fabricated by my machinist friend.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Whiper motors are ready to install. The cat only had one whiper motor (driver side) when I got it, the second one (passenger side) was long gone. I was able to fine one NOS whiper motor and purchased it, opened it up and put new grease in the gearbox and oiled the motor bearings, then placed the oscillating arm in the gearbox to 120 degree swing, the same as the other unit. The original whiper unit worked well but the output shaft end was torn up. I was able to salvage a better output shaft from one of the two whiper units that came with the 1969 542 frame I purchased a couple years ago. Also cleaned up the gearbox and put new grease in it, as well as oiled the motor bearings and cleaned up the motor commutator a bit. After all this got the nuts, washers, and gaskets ready that hold the unit to the body. Then covered all vent holes and soda blasted both, primed, and painted. Plus bought new universal wiper arms and blades.

View attachment 136784View attachment 136785View attachment 136786View attachment 136787View attachment 136788
I would like to know if you are putting the yellow stencil markings back on, you know OEM

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Starting the engine rebuild. Should be all the parts here to complete the task. Head has been rebuilt already, block bored .010 over, rods worked over, crank checked out, flywheel ground, new ring gear installed, everything cleaned up and ready to roll. There will be some painting and plating along the way. Will take some time, but will probably have it in a couple weeks (lots of irons in the fire). I will post some progress photos as I go.

One thing I did was grind out some material from inside the bell housing. This engine requires you to pull the crankshaft out to be able to remove the flywheel. I don't like this, so I ground out a small amount of material inside the bell housing to allow the flywheel and bell housing to be installed later after the engine is rebuilt. This could help in the future if the flywheel ever needs ground or replaced.

IMG_20210421_184400454.jpg