• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

50 Facts About The History of Mount Rushmore

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
It's a great place to visit.
Lot of interesting history in the Deadwood, South Dakota area and the people there are very friendly.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We visited there 5 years ago. If we make it back up there will plan time for spending time in deadwood. As it was we moved on to Sturgis and then on to Yellowstone.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We were there a few years ago bc (before covid). Mt Rushmore itself was meh as the place was packed with tourists and we couldn't get closer than the gift shop by the parking garage as it was as blocked off due to construction. The needles highway however was an experience. From beginning to end, I believe it's only 5 miles but the actual road is 17 miles long and full of switchbacks and tunnels going through the mountain. At the top, you come out of a tunnel cut through the mountain and are looking directly across at Rushmore.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The needles highway however was an experience. From beginning to end, I believe it's only 5 miles but the actual road is 17 miles long and full of switchbacks and tunnels going through the mountain. At the top, you come out of a tunnel cut through the mountain and are looking directly across at Rushmore.
S.D. is an hour earlier than we are here. My wife and I were always up before anyone else. So the year came when we drove our Corvette
out to Mount Rushmore. I already knew about the needles highway...
What a blast that early with no traffic. I had the wife holding on tight!
Near the end she made it known that was enough. Sure was fun while it lasted!!! :thumbup:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
S.D. is an hour earlier than we are here. My wife and I were always up before anyone else. So the year came when we drove our Corvette
out to Mount Rushmore. I already knew about the needles highway...
What a blast that early with no traffic. I had the wife holding on tight!
Near the end she made it known that was enough. Sure was fun while it lasted!!! :thumbup:

I found this video someone filmed driving the needles highway.