• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

3am rant

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We originally had tickets to a 2 day outdoor concert event bought back in 2019 for 2020. Covid canceled that. So they agreed to honor the tickets for 2021 when they were able to hold it again. They had it last year but as the border was still closed, they realized that many canadians who held tickets would not be able to make it so they offered to honor the 2020 tickets this year. So we drove down for the event. It's only a 4.5hr drive across the border.

This trip has made me come to the realization that I will most likely never be able to handle extended travel in the states or anywhere else internationally again until laws change and politicians (both American and Canadian) dig their heads out of their asses and make universal laws regarding prescription medications.

I have chronic back pain from a severe accident. I was on oxycodone for pain meds which did absolutely nothing for pain but left me a zoned out zombie all day. That was perfectly safe and fine for me to take across the border where I can sell each individual pill for $20 a pop. I switched to lyrica which did absolutely nothing for pain but caused rapid weight gain. But hey, still safe to travel across the border with that.

I switched from that to medical marijuana prescribed and monitored by a medical professional. It works for my nerve pain. I went from being restricted to a mobility scooter for moving around any more than 50 feet to being able to do 10 mile hikes only using a cane. I went from sleeping 2hrs and waking up in pain to sleeping throughout the night. BUT, despite being legal in both ontario Canada and in the neighboring state, is NOT legal at the border. Therefore I cannot travel in the states with my prescribed pain medication. I barely made it through the concert and here I am laying wide awake at 3am back on fire barely able to move after only 2 days. Not to mention that it reduced me to relying on a mobility scooter to get around as I'm back to being unable to walk more than 50 feet. I informed my wife that I can no longer travel down to the states for anything requiring an overnight stay. We were hoping to travel to the east coast next summer with the fifth wheel and planned originally on taking the northern states one way and Canada returning. Now, it will be strictly in Canada where I can take my prescription medication with me. I take it in pill form in the morning accompanied by vaping throughput the day as needed. I went from barely being able to sit in a vehicle for an hour to traveling 6+ hrs and still being able to function. It doesn't give me any side effects other than reducing pain.

This brings me to another point. From a disability standpoint, Canada is about 10 years ahead of the good ole us of a, the supposedly greatest nation on earth. We still have a ways to go but when a disabled person driving a mobility scooter or any other motorized device can not enter a mall as they can't even get the door open or make it to the door, there's a problem. Every place I went to, I had to get assistance to hold the doors to open for me. Even at the concert we went to, sure they had a nice big section roped off for disabled parking. BUT, to access the sidewalk to get in to the concert, there was a lovely 90 degree concrete curb surrounding the perimeter. Not an issue if you can walk but if you're in a scooter or wheelchair, good luck. It's like businesses down in the states will say they're inclusive to people with mobility issues as long as they can walk and open the door themselves. Something many people don't think of until they're put in that position.

End of 3am rant.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Doc

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
We originally had tickets to a 2 day outdoor concert event bought back in 2019 for 2020. Covid canceled that. So they agreed to honor the tickets for 2021 when they were able to hold it again. They had it last year but as the border was still closed, they realized that many canadians who held tickets would not be able to make it so they offered to honor the 2020 tickets this year. So we drove down for the event. It's only a 4.5hr drive across the border.

This trip has made me come to the realization that I will most likely never be able to handle extended travel in the states or anywhere else internationally again until laws change and politicians (both American and Canadian) dig their heads out of their asses and make universal laws regarding prescription medications.

I have chronic back pain from a severe accident. I was on oxycodone for pain meds which did absolutely nothing for pain but left me a zoned out zombie all day. That was perfectly safe and fine for me to take across the border where I can sell each individual pill for $20 a pop. I switched to lyrica which did absolutely nothing for pain but caused rapid weight gain. But hey, still safe to travel across the border with that.

I switched from that to medical marijuana prescribed and monitored by a medical professional. It works for my nerve pain. I went from being restricted to a mobility scooter for moving around any more than 50 feet to being able to do 10 mile hikes only using a cane. I went from sleeping 2hrs and waking up in pain to sleeping throughout the night. BUT, despite being legal in both ontario Canada and in the neighboring state, is NOT legal at the border. Therefore I cannot travel in the states with my prescribed pain medication. I barely made it through the concert and here I am laying wide awake at 3am back on fire barely able to move after only 2 days. Not to mention that it reduced me to relying on a mobility scooter to get around as I'm back to being unable to walk more than 50 feet. I informed my wife that I can no longer travel down to the states for anything requiring an overnight stay. We were hoping to travel to the east coast next summer with the fifth wheel and planned originally on taking the northern states one way and Canada returning. Now, it will be strictly in Canada where I can take my prescription medication with me. I take it in pill form in the morning accompanied by vaping throughput the day as needed. I went from barely being able to sit in a vehicle for an hour to traveling 6+ hrs and still being able to function. It doesn't give me any side effects other than reducing pain.

This brings me to another point. From a disability standpoint, Canada is about 10 years ahead of the good ole us of a, the supposedly greatest nation on earth. We still have a ways to go but when a disabled person driving a mobility scooter or any other motorized device can not enter a mall as they can't even get the door open or make it to the door, there's a problem. Every place I went to, I had to get assistance to hold the doors to open for me. Even at the concert we went to, sure they had a nice big section roped off for disabled parking. BUT, to access the sidewalk to get in to the concert, there was a lovely 90 degree concrete curb surrounding the perimeter. Not an issue if you can walk but if you're in a scooter or wheelchair, good luck. It's like businesses down in the states will say they're inclusive to people with mobility issues as long as they can walk and open the door themselves. Something many people don't think of until they're put in that position.

End of 3am rant.
Go to a legal pot store here in the US, most states have recreational that doesn't require a prescription.

chowderman

Canada is a very colorful country. In the mid-80's I was invited to speak at a trade group in Toronto.
I took my laptop with me. I had been warned . . . took me half an hour to "register" taking the laptop into Canada, and over two hours to "prove" I was taking it back to USA when I left the country.

. . . . for a laptop . . .

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Go to a legal pot store here in the US, most states have recreational that doesn't require a prescription.

If and when I travel to the states again I will most definitely check that out. Just frustrating that I have a good supply at home but can't bring anything across the border so I have to go restock in a store in the states for my stay however long then basically toss everything in the garbage before coming back across.

Yet a prescription drug such as oxycodone is perfectly fine despite destroying more families than marijuana where I live.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks. Good to know as each state is different. Up here in Canada it's country wide. As soon as they legalized it, shops began popping up all over. Now, it seems there's a potshop on every second block. Lol.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks. Good to know as each state is different. Up here in Canada it's country wide. As soon as they legalized it, shops began popping up all over. Now, it seems there's a potshop on every second block. Lol.
Likely could have asked someone at the event. And got all you wanted. At least when I was young it worked that way.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We're just north of Minnesota and Wisconsin so those are the most likely states that I would be traveling to. Michigan is fully legalized. Looks like Minnesota is medical. So how does that work? Would you only be able to get it with a prescription? Seems like a lot of hassle for a 2-3 day trip.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Likely could have asked someone at the event. And got all you wanted. At least when I was young it worked that way.

Lmao 🤣 . That's hilarious. It was a 2 day Christian music concert. Not the kind of place I want to start asking around for some weed.

Mark1911

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm having an interesting internal conundrum contrasting your post to the WNBA chick in Russia - although being a WNBA player, I find it dificult to believe she NEEDS it to function , not to mention that it's banned in the WNBA...

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm having an interesting internal conundrum contrasting your post to the WNBA chick in Russia - although being a WNBA player, I find it dificult to believe she NEEDS it to function , not to mention that it's banned in the WNBA...
No but if you have sleep issues and lay awake all night, sometimes you feel like you need it.