• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1977 Tucker 542ASC

tenmile

Here are some pictures. To be clear, these are the 1" rollers from Tucker; I'm just surprised at how different they are. You'll see the lack of grease fitting as it's now apparently a sealed bearing, and also note the radius difference. It doesn't seem like a lot in the picture, but in real life it feels a lot larger and I'm already seeing some challenges with the slightly larger bearing in the tracks. They are ~$44/ea, by the way.

Would welcome help on the track tension question if anyone has any guidance :)

Attachments

• IMG_3189.JPEG
    IMG_3189.JPEG
    1.3 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3188.JPEG
    IMG_3188.JPEG
    999.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_3187.JPEG
    IMG_3187.JPEG
    1.7 MB · Views: 107

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The search for replacements has been going on for decades and once Tucker got into the 'Classic' cat business they were forced to find a solution and this was the next best fit option. i.e., it's probably as close as is available without custom machining that would double the cost. As such, the biggest issue areas would the the 'C' channels up by the sprocket and the one on the bottom of the pontoon. All of the rolling contact is directed toward the center of the pontoon, so the outer part of the channel would need to be flared open slightly in those contact areas. I'm not sure if heating those peace's to bend them would affect the temper of the metal since it is plow steel, but I'm sure someone here will have that answer.

Only use those when doubling them up on the same grouser - if you have a dead roller, swap both on that grouser and move the old roller to a different spot.

tenmile

Maiden (successful) voyage this past weekend at the CO Snowcat Jamboree!

Have some carb related issues that created some challenges when starting when warm, or at altitude that I'll need to address. Also, I've got something binding somewhere it feels like but it's unclear what. So, more to come on that front, but otherwise felt like a successful trip (minus the stall during the hillclimb challenge... d'oh!).

On the rollers, I didn't have time to go back and match sides (new roller on both sides of the grouser) but didn't have too many issues this weekend. I'll add that to the 'if I have time' over the summer list.

Attachments

• IMG_3316.JPEG
    IMG_3316.JPEG
    3.3 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3306.JPEG
    IMG_3306.JPEG
    2.8 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3296.JPEG
    IMG_3296.JPEG
    4.2 MB · Views: 102

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The issue won't be with working or not, it will be in excessive wear on the new parts from not running parallel to each other. Awesome that the maiden trip was a success!