• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1950 Thiokol snowcat!

Wyfler

What am I looking at here?

denver for sale "snowcat" - craigslist

1611501283519.png

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
IMHO, I have seen this machine up for sale several times, pretty much, it is home made and a one of one, yes, just about every manufacturer started out as a home made machine.

fyi, mr g moose can confirm it, thiokol comes directly from the frandee snow cat, and not as a start up on it's own, it all started at Utah State Ag, and this one if anything could be a prototype of Frandee, if you are looking at it for as historic snow cat, do your home work...though it kinda looks like one of the snow cats at the 1950 Sun Valley, Idaho, snow cat trials, conducted by the soil conservation service.

this one is powered by a Ford, Model A 4 cylinder engine with its 3 speed transmission, pretty a bunch of mismatched parts........

Last edited:

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
I agree with Pontoon Princess where she states that Thiokol comes directly from Frandee.

Could it be Frandee No. 1?

Might be worth studying Ross Eskelson's Masters Thesis from the Utah State Agricultural College, now the University of Utah. You can find it on line.

Frandee No. 1.jpg

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
ah ha, thank you G MoOse, I believe they are one in the same, both are powered by a Ford model A motor, also it matches a couple other photos of Frandee number 1
so, Mr. G. Moose?

Last edited:

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
ah ha, thank you G MoOse, I believe they are one in the same, both are powered by a Ford model A motor, also it matches a couple other photos of Frandee number 1
so, Mr. G. Moose?
I was wondering what that engine was. This is a piece for a museum, not me. I love my Frandee, but at this point one is enough, plus those two Tuckers I have now are consuming all of my time and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
with all the factory info you have and a true passion for the frandee and it's story, sure would be the prefect place for it, I see a nice large building in your future,
wow, to say no, is so much harder to do, than saying yes---

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
with all the factory info you have and a true passion for the frandee and it's story, sure would be the prefect place for it, I see a nice large building in your future,
wow, to say no, is so much harder to do, than saying yes---
I have found that it is getting easier to say no, however I tend to change my mind often and quick, but I don't think I am going to on this one. And I am not a museum guy, I want machines I can use and enjoy, at least that is my story right now. Would it be cool to own it, ya, but not at $10K, I have enough of those $10K projects already. I do need a building for storage, which is coming this spring, but there will probably be only one Frandee stored in it (plus all the spare parts I have been gathering for it).