• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

$10/gallon gas? White House considers it a possibility (according to CNN)

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
ZeroHedge keeps finding little nuggets that get overlooked by other sources.

And this is one where CNN is actually doing the reporting, but glossing over the punchline, or perhaps just missing it?

But in the economic models the White House uses, they are actually running simulations that include crude oil at $200 per barrel and gasoline at $10/gallon. Why would they do that? Because it is very possible. Especially as we destroy our own economy to attempt to wreak havoc on the Russian economy. We are emptying our Strategic Petroleum Reserves in a political play to keep consumers happy but what happens if we empty those and need to actually go to war with Putin over Ukraine? Or with China over Taiwan?

Full story, with graphics at ZeroHedge:
. . . CNN's Phil Mattingly writes, "instead of managing an economy in the midst of a natural rotation away from recovery and into a stable period of growth, economic officials are analyzing and modeling worst-case scenarios like what the shock of gas prices hitting $200 per barrel may mean for the economy."
. . .
But unfortunately for Biden - and CNN which is hoping to reset expectations - it's only going to get worse, because as we noted moments ago, while nobody was paying attention, Cushing inventories dropped to just 1 million away from operational bottoms at roughly 20MM barrels. This means that the US is officially looking at tank bottoms.
. . . Bloomberg's chief energy guru Javier Blas notes, over the last 2 weeks, the US gov has drained 13.7 million barrels from the SPR, "and yet, commercial oil stockpiles still fell 3 million barrels over the period."
Just imagine, Blas asks rhetorically, "if the SPR wasn't there. Or what would happen post-Oct when sales end."
And here is the punchline: at the current record pace of SPR drainage, one way or another the Biden admin will have to end its artificial attempts to keep the price of oil lower some time in October (or risk entering a war with China over Taiwan with virtually no oil reserve). This means that unless Putin ends his war some time in the next 5 months, there is a non-trivial chance that oil will hit a record price around $200 - precisely the price the White House is bracing for - a few days before the midterms. While translates into $10+ gasoline.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Thank God I live close to my place of work, all the shops, my bank, restaurants etc..
I'm on electric too.
I'll be damned if I'll pay that much to fill my gas tank.
We've been under 5 a gallon here since the jump.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For whatever it is worth, there are some financial/commodity analysts that do not think that $380/barrel oil is out of the question. That would translate to about $18 per gallon for gas. And that would likely lead to an actual armed insurrection.

Likely a worst case scenario. Obviously the world would roll into a total recession and commodity prices could, temporarily replace gold as the back up for currency. Russia's ruble has rebounded internationally, largely because it is backed with wheat, oil and gold.

Personally I've been parking my 23mpg Honda truck and driving my daughter's little 40mpg VW Jetta diesel. It is crazy fast, outfitted as a street racer, but sips fuel. Best of both worlds, even at diesel prices, and doesn't need "Ad Blue" urea based diesel emission fluid.

And we have this. . .

FULL STORY at The Epoch Times, and worthy of reading the whole thing.

Biden Looks to Block or Limit New Offshore Drilling, Scaling Back Trump-Era Plan to Pump More Oil

President Joe Biden speaks about gas prices in the South Court Auditorium at the White House campus on June 22, 2022. (Drew Angerer/Getty Images)
The Biden administration has announced plans to block all new offshore oil and gas drilling in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, while potentially letting a handful of new leases go ahead off the coast of Alaska and in the Gulf of Mexico, charting a different course from a Trump-era plan that sought to expand offshore drilling to bolster America’s energy security.
The draft plan, released on July 1 by the Interior Department, lays out several options for public input as to how many offshore oil and gas lease sales should be held over the next five years, ranging from nearly a dozen new leases to zero.
“The proposed plan puts forward several options from no lease sales up to 11 lease sales over the next five years,” said Interior Department Secretary Deb Haaland said in a statement. “The time for the public to weigh in on our future is now.”
Open for consideration and public input are ten potential new leases in the Gulf of Mexico and one in the Cook Inlet off the southern coast of Alaska, as laid out in detail in the Draft Proposed Plan (DPP) (pdf).
Entirely removed from consideration are any new leases in federal waters off the Atlantic and Pacific coasts. . .

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

teaser image
"Given the high level of stress in the oil market... a 5 mbd cut, could drive oil price to a stratospheric $380/bbl."
As discussed previously, one of the most notable events of the past week was the decision by G7 leaders "to work" on a price cap for Russian oil as part of efforts to cut Moscows revenues.
However, it didn't take long for the same G7 motley crew to realize that they have a major problem on their hands: as JPM's commodity desk notes, given Russias strong fiscal position, the country can cut up to 5 mbd of production without excessively hurting its economic interest. Meanwhile, a 5mbd cut would spark a Europe-wide depression, confirming that once again Europe had not even done the simple math.
What about prices? According to JPM's commodities team (whose full note is available to pro subscribers), given the high levels of stress in the oil market, a cut of 3.0 mbd could cause global Brent price to jump to $190/bbl, while the most extreme scenario of a 5 mbd slash in production could drive oil price to a stratospheric $380/bbl.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Russia has already won the war.
They have normal priced gas.
They have normal gas prices, they are making money selling fuel, they have wheat and food. Much of their nation is a mess, but it has mostly been a mess. Meanwhile we have a President who shot our economy and energy sector in the head.

And we can't recover for YEARS.

Meanwhile, investment bank J.P. Morgan is suggesting we will see MUCH HIGHER fuel prices soon.

GREAT ARTICLE HERE --> https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2022-07-04/oil-380-putin-retaliates-or-risks-destabilization-analysis

Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 3.41.35 PM.png