• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Blizzard of 78

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was on the road in a sales job. 50 miles from home. Once the road were getting 'bad' I headed home. Made it all the way to the housing development we lived in back then. I was elated, so I play a bit sliding around in the snow. Stuck the car in a snow bank and had to walk about 3 blocks to the house. Dumb. LOL

Were you impacted by the blizzard of 78?

Attachments

• BlizzardOf78.jpg
    BlizzardOf78.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 156

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I was on the road in a sales job. 50 miles from home. Once the road were getting 'bad' I headed home. Made it all the way to the housing development we lived in back then. I was elated, so I play a bit sliding around in the snow. Stuck the car in a snow bank and had to walk about 3 blocks to the house. Dumb. LOL

Were you impacted by the blizzard of 78?

I was in Dallas working for RCA. Remember several ice storms back then but nothing really stands out

Jim

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For us who lived in NE PA, W. NY & Southern Ontario, the Blizzard of 77 that was the "big one". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_of_1977

We had drifts over 30' and most snow around us settled in at around 10'. Our school was closed for a month.

Below is a pic of our house. Only way out was through 2nd story window. We went out with shovels and broom handles after the storm to our single story neighbors houses to dig them out. Used the broom handles to poke down to find the roof and end of house, then used the shovels to dig down to their door.
My mom forgot where she parked her car in the driveway (which was about 300' long). It was over 3 weeks of digging before we found it.

Attachments

• blizzard of 77.jpg
    blizzard of 77.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 179

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I was living in Michigan and spent the day stranded on I-75 south headed to Monroe Mi to work at a power plan there. Traffic got stopped due to the drifts. Good thing I had a full tank, around 4pm everyone was turning around going the wrong way. when it was my turn I was able to get off on an on ramp and then spent the night in a cafe that had electricity. There were some that were not so lucky. Marty

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
There's a picture of the post office in the town I grew up in, but pinterest won't allow me to save it.
What the heck?? Lol
Can't do a screenshot either because of the pulsating red circle that appears.
:hammer:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Here's a good video from Toledo 11 news.
Some of the things that can be seen in the video are funny now, looking back.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HHQXbAgvtiE[/ame]