• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

"No snow too deep"

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wherever he is, it's a pretty amazing amount of snow.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I wonder what the Paul Harvey “Rest of the story” is?

It looks like from some of the YouTube presenter’s other videos, he’s based in Utah. So I wonder where this happened? Fairview, maybe? To see the Tucker buried the way it was, and the harder consistency of the snow, it looks like the machine was basically parked for a period of time and the snow that buried the machine was wind-driven snow, which can be a whole lot more dense than the low-moisture content “Champagne powder" Utah ski resorts are world-famous for.

I’ve previously said I think Tucker, Inc has lost its way. Over the last 30-40 years or so, the machines are MUCH bigger and heavier. Sure the engines are more powerful, but they weigh twice as much, and the track length isn’t much longer. I think the Tucker in the video is a model 1643RE, and those weigh up to almost 16,000 pounds... without options! So, significantly bigger, a whole lot heavier, a whole lot less flotation, and less capability. From my viewpoint, that’s not winning... it’s losing.

Certainly there’s more to snowcat performance than just flotation, but it's crucially important in deep snow. If you want to cruise across frozen Tundra, or packed trails, I’m sure a 1643RE would be a nice machine, but if your plans include heading into the backcountry and breaking your own trail, it would not be my choice.