• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Midnight Cowboy

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I couldn't sleep the other night and thought I'd finally watch Midnight Cowboy.

I did no looking to see the subject just knew I had heard a lot of it and it should be a good flick.

It's not. It's appalling. Shocked me. Not a fun flick to watch. Depressing.

Young Jon Voight did a good job for what he had to do. Iconic roll for Dustin Hoffman but the subject the move was sad. Realistically sad.

then I looked it up to see if my memory was fooling me as the critics loved it.

Yep, they loved it. And I was shocked to see it was X rated. Only X rated picture to win best picture of the year. Note that what they considered X rated in 1969 is not the same as what is X rated now.

What is your take on Midnight Cowboy?

Gary O'

What is your take on Midnight Cowboy?
Watched it several decades ago
Rather brutally realistic...graphic
Not high on my list of wanting to see it again
Hoffman and Voight made the movie almost bearable...almost

Reactions: Doc

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I've never watched the whole movie at one sitting. I've probably seen most, if not all of it, but spread out over three or four different occasions. I haven't seen any of it for a long time so my memory may be at fault but I thought that it was seedy. No doubt the actors did a great job but the subject matter was depressing, if not depraved. It certainly wasn't entertainment. Once I got it all pieced together, the question that I asked myself was, "What was the point of all that?" If it was meant to shock the audience and make them uncomfortable, it probably did that but I can't say that I would stand in line and pay to watch it.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep, I agree with you both.
I recall when it was on in my home town theaters, it must've been running for a few months. Seemed like forever. I was to young to see it then. It was rated 17 or 18 and over. I was curious but never hunted for it when I was older. Had not even thought of it till seeing it playing the other night and watching it on a whim. Wasn't ready for what I saw. :eek:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I started watching it a couple months back but didn't get very far.
Watched "The Sting" this morning (Robert Redford & Paul Newman) for the first time in many years. Still a great movie.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The best thing about that movie is the opening theme song, Everybody's Talking.
Like Frank said, I've never managed to make it through the entire thing.
Yes. Such a good song. Uplifting. Then the movie is just the opposite.