• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Meaning of an Upside Down Baluster on a Staircase

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've heard of this as an Amish blessing. So the story goes that the Devil is attracted to perfection so the tradition started to add an imperfection, sometimes seen in Amish furniture, and Amish homes.

If your home’s staircase has an upside-down baluster that you noticed, you may have just thought it was the mistake of a carpenter or builder. However, upside-down balusters are generally installed that way for a reason – and there is a fair amount of superstition behind it.

stairs2-scaled.jpeg
source: Reddit/u/spopoff54
There is a long-standing tradition of builders and carpenters installing a single, upside-down baluster on purpose to acknowledge that “only God’s creatures are perfect,” and everything man-made will have its flaws. The other train of thought behind installing the upside-down baluster lies in the superstition that doing so would prevent the devil from creeping up the stairs and capturing anyone who may be about to pass away.

stairs3.jpeg
source: Facebook/Scott McGillivray
Whatever the reason, both send a slight shiver down my spine! While our current home has a staircase, it’s quite narrow and has walls on both sides – no balusters. This is why I so badly wish I could take a peek back into my old house one day and see if its staircase had that telltale upside-down baluster!