• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Has anyone applied an asphalt shingle 'restoration' product to their roof?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My asphalt shingle roof is just starting to show signs of streaking after rain. So I have several years of shingle life left, but it is time to start thinking about a replacement roof. Unfortunately for me, I have a lot of roof to cover. I've been seeing advertisements for ROOF MAXX services, which is a service that sprays your roof to theoretically restore the waterproofing properties of asphalt shingles.

Here is the ROOF MAXX website:

Just spent about $1100 at Home Depot for enough "Vital Coat" 'shingle shield roof coating' to hopefully restore my roof shingles. Similar product to ROOF MAXX, but it is a DIY product while the ROOF MAXX product requires you to hire their franchisee, who charges you for the service of spraying your roof.

What I purchased (1 bucket covers just over 1000 sq ft), sadly I have a lot of roof to cover between the house and the workshop/garage.

Curious if anyone has used any of the various shingle restoration products and how it has worked out? If I can extend my roof life a few years I think it would be well worth the cost.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I painted a small shingle roof with latex house paint 3 winters ago. Still looks great. Put on just enough paint to recolor it without drowning the texture.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I painted a small shingle roof with latex house paint 3 winters ago. Still looks great. Put on just enough paint to recolor it without drowning the texture.
Thanks that sounds positive.

Basically the stuff I got is a transparent "paint" or maybe more like a 'stain'? Original roof color will remain.

But it should do the same thing as a coating like paint which waterproofs the surface and locks the gravel onto the surface.

It may possibly have an added benefit of soaking into the asphalt shingle the way wood stain soaks into wood to keep it stabilized and extend its life. That seems to be the added claim.

But if your latex paint helped, then I have a pretty good feeling about this, because at very least it should provide a protective coating to preserve the surface. If it also 'rejuvenates' the body of the shingle by soaking into that, so much the better.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A lot of what kills a roof is stuff growing on it. Don't know if that's you're situation.
I use a product called "Spray & Forget" to kill everything on the roof (and it removes all those black stains).

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brian my roof is pretty much exposed to the sun, no moss growth anywhere on it, so that part is not the problem. I only have the streaking starting to show up after rain storms. It's the first visible sign the shingles are starting to wear out. It will probably last 3 to 5 more years, but the black streaking means that the shingle are starting to absorb water.

This product is supposed to soak into the shingles and make them waterproof. The claim is this will add several years to the lifespan of the roof. Probably best to apply it every 3rd or 4th year if, like mine, the roof is older. Could extend the life maybe 10+ more years for a fraction of the price of a new roof in 4 to 5 years.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I have the same issues as Mel. Roof streaking but a few years left until replacement. I am done with asphalt shingles. Metal shingles have my attention. They are gaining in popularity up here big time given the excessive amount of rain we get, lots of snow and ice. I cannot do the spray method given my age coupled with the 12/12 pitch of our Cape Cod. I would end up killing myself. :cautious:

When was it that the government mandated that the recipe for shingles be changed? It had to be the gov't and their stupid ideas. In my younger years, I do not ever remember shingles streaking like they do now.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have the same issues as Mel. Roof streaking but a few years left until replacement. I am done with asphalt shingles. Metal shingles have my attention. They are gaining in popularity up here big time given the excessive amount of rain we get, lots of snow and ice. I cannot do the spray method given my age coupled with the 12/12 pitch of our Cape Cod. I would end up killing myself. :cautious:

When was it that the government mandated that the recipe for shingles be changed? It had to be the gov't and their stupid ideas. In my younger years, I do not ever remember shingles streaking like they do now.
I'm with you on the metal shingles.

IF/WHEN I have to replace this roof, it will be metal shingles. Or, if I am really old, it will be the cheapest roof I can find and that will outlive me?!?

When I put these roofs on, about 15 years ago, I bought '25 year' shingles. But a 25 year shingle is good for about 20. I wanted a ribbed metal roof. I was talked out of it. Honestly it would NOT have looked as good, so from that perspective the asphalt was the better choice. But I knew I'd be in my early to mid 60's and facing the problem of replacing the roof again. This stuff, IF IT WORKS, could push that problem until I'm 70. Maybe I won't even be in this house then?

But I'd rather do this than spend $25+K for a couple new roofs when a couple days and $1100 should (will?) buy me a good bit of time. The good news for me, the roof has an easily walkable 3/12 pitch. The workshop/back garage is half 3/12 (on the 3 bay side that is 2 stories tall) and half 4/12 (on the 2 bay, 1 story side where there is a car lift)

As it is just starting to streak the roof is not too far gone. It looks perfect in dry weather. So my idea is to do this before it starts to look bad (probably 2 years?) and then actually starts to crack and curl (probably 5 to 6 years). They say these products can prolong a roof. So 2, maybe 3 applications and maybe this roof will actually outlive me if this stuff works?

Last edited:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm with you on the metal shingles.

IF/WHEN I have to replace this roof, it will be metal shingles. Or, if I am really old, it will be the cheapest roof I can find and that will outlive me?!?

When I put these roofs on, about 15 years ago, I bought '25 year' shingles. But a 25 year shingle is good for about 20. I wanted a ribbed metal roof. I was talked out of it. Honestly it would NOT have looked as good, so from that perspective the asphalt was the better choice. But I knew I'd be in my early to mid 60's and facing the problem of replacing the roof again. This stuff, IF IT WORKS, could push that problem until I'm 70. Maybe I won't even be in this house then?

But I'd rather do this than spend $25+K for a couple new roofs when a couple days and $1100 should (will?) buy me a good bit of time. The good news for me, the roof has an easily walkable 3/12 pitch. The workshop/back garage is half 3/12 (on the 3 bay side that is 2 stories tall) and half 4/12 (on the 2 bay, 1 story side where there is a car lift)

As it is just starting to streak the roof is not too far gone. It looks perfect in dry weather. So my idea is to do this before it starts to look bad (probably 2 years?) and then actually starts to crack and curl (probably 5 to 6 years). They say these products can prolong a roof. So 2, maybe 3 applications and maybe this roof will actually outlive me if this stuff works?

Oh, hell you're in good shape with that pitch doing the job yourself. That is safe enough of a pitch to feel comfortable as long as you do not step too far backwards admiring your work. :LOL:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh, hell you're in good shape with that pitch doing the job yourself. That is safe enough of a pitch to feel comfortable as long as you do not step too far backwards admiring your work. :LOL:

Actually my buddy has volunteered to send his son up on my roof while he and I drink beer and watch from the ground.