• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Toshiba Laptop

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
http://www.ecomelectronics.com/prodinfo.phtml?id=1710

After taking the time to figure out how to set up a wireless network at home and share my one-way satellite internet connection I discovered that my laptop is due replacing.
I read the threads here and checked out Consumer Reports online, etc., and finally settled on the Toshiba - SATELLITE P105-S6157 *New with Toshiba warranty*
Intel Core Duo 1.66GHz/2GB/200GB/DVD-RW/17/WiFi/ Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

It's a lot more than what I've had and what I wanted to spend, but I don't buy laptops that often...:thumb:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
As a former 'cold warrior', I still can't bring myself to purchase Toshiba products. I use to attend weekly briefings where they'd (intel types) show where the soviet subs had parked just off our coast, thinking they were safe and in position to launch against us. Then they'd show where our subs parked next to them waiting to hear their doors open and give them a great big surprise. Toshiba jeopardized that edge we had. At the time, the US gov put a 5yr(?) ban on purchasing their products, my memory is a little longer.

Nothing to do with your pending purchase, just seeing the name reminds me...

In 1987, the company was accused of illegally selling CNC milling machines used to produce very quiet submarine propellers to the Soviet Union in violation of the CoCom agreement, an international embargo on Western exports to East Bloc countries. The Toshiba-Kongsberg scandal involved a subsidiary of Toshiba and the Norwegian company Kongsberg Vaapenfabrikk. The incident strained relations between the United States and Japan, and resulted in the arrest and prosecution of two senior executives, as well as the imposition of sanctions on the company by both countries. The US had always relied on the fact that the Soviets had noisy boats, so technology that would make the USSR's submarines harder to detect created a significant threat to America's security. Senator John Heinz, former husband of Teresa Heinz-Kerry, said "What Toshiba and Kongsberg did was ransom the security of the United States for $517 million."

Sony makes superior products, though pricey. Fujitsu makes less expensive machines with some cool features. Avoid Dell, my opinion.

Last edited:

jwstewar

I never purchased anything other than a Toshiba laptop. I have had 5 of them. Have used almost every brand, but have always bought Toshiba. I just bought an A105-2343 (I think). It is a 1.66 Core2Duo w/ 1 Gig and 160 Gig drive. I love it. It originally came with XP and I upgraded to Vista. There are some things I like w/ Vista and some things I don't. Don't know if I'm going to stay with Vista or not. I've not had any problems with any of my Toshiba laptops.