• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Criuses and such

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like we're going on a cruise this year.

A 7-night, 4 island stop in Hawaii on Norwegian Cruise Lines.

Neither Mrs. Zoom nor myself have been on a cruise before.

Mrs. Zoom is really afraid of getting sea-sick and is VERY nervous about going.

So, I know we have many here that have been on cruises. Any insights, thoughts... Ditto for Hawaii.

Dargo - Please don't tell all your horror stories as it'll probably make us not want to go.

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The first thing to enter my mind when you mention a cruise is the number of times I've seen reports of the ships returning with all passengers ill during the past couple of years. I would be nervous about going too.
Hope you enjoy it.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You walk funny for awhile when you get on and you walk funny for awhile when you get off! Other than that it's like a Vegas buffet!

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Buy her one of those copper bracelets that cure arthritis and sea sickness. If nothing else, it will look pretty on her arm...:yum:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been on about a dozen or so cruises. Up until a month ago I would have rated Royal Caribbean, Princess, and Holland American as the top cruise lines. One cruise that had a beautiful ship but was not my idea of fun was on a 5 masted Clipper Ship. Although it was beautiful, there was absolutely nothing to do on the small ship (compared to the regular mega-ships). The crew ate with the passengers, cut in line, and grabbed all the high end foods before the passengers could get any. The ship had a huge amount more motion than the big ships, but that didn't bother me. The fact that I survived on cheese cubes and water for 7 days pretty well ruined that cruise for me. Also, the owner of the ship happened to decide to go on that cruise and completely changed every single port of call. In the fine print of your contract it says ports of call are subject to change.

On the larger ships, Carnival and Disney were pretty crappy and I felt like cattle being herded the entire trip. The food was on par with fast food places (think Wendy's), and the people generally were more rude than on other cruises. Otherwise, each of the other cruise lines I said I liked have been slowly going down hill in the last 15 years or so. They used to be all inclusive; not anymore. The first change was that bar drinks or wine weren't included several years ago. Then they changed to where beer wasn't included. Then they changed to where soft drinks weren't included. On this last trip, I noticed that they removed all the little self serve ice cream machines as well; they cost $5 each this time. Now, on Princess, basically nothing but your basic meals (hot dogs, hamburgers, and pizza) are included along with a crappy "buffet" that is severely over-crowded and only includes what wasn't eaten at the evening dinners the night before. The new "open" dinner seating basically means that if you don't get in line 2 hours before dinner, you won't get in and you're back to hot dogs and hamburgers.

On Princess, your room keys are color coded as to how many previous trips you've taken on Princess cruise lines. Mrs. Dargo and I had the relatively exclusive "Platinum" color keys which told all that we've been on their ships over 5 times or more. We were supposed to get better treatment. Based on how we were treated, I assume that people with blue (first time) and gold (2nd to 5 trip) were beaten and thrown over board each night.

As a "perk" for our membership status, we were told that we'd have $100 ship credit for each of the two rooms we booked. Sounds nice, right? Wrong! The so called credit was only towards some high priced wine in the formal dining room (which we couldn't get in without the prerequsite 2 hour wait) and we don't drink wine. The credit could not be used for anything else.

The luggage handlers totally destroyed my new luggage (the only luggage left that wasn't destroyed when my wife's car was crushed by an accident on the interstate on the way down. When I took my destroyed luggage (which I just bought for this trip) down to the desk, they told me to give it to them and they'd get back with me. Four days later, they basically told me tough shit. If I wanted I could fill out a claim form and Princess would get back to me within 6 months and let me know if they would do anything about my destroyed luggage. Needless to say, this would have pissed me off if I were a first time cruiser with them. With as much as I've spent with them in the past, this really pissed me off.

If you wanted to see any of the shows on Princess, you had to get in line a couple of hours prior to the show or you couldn't get in. They have decreased the seating in their theaters while increasing their passenger capacity over the years. This has insured that each show will be sold out - and about half the people wanting to see the show would be sent away. They have done the same thing with their upper deck areas and lounge chairs. They have decreased their deck areas and number of deck lounge chairs. This in turn prevents too many passengers from spending time in the sun on lounge chairs and not spending money elsewhere on the ship. Everything cost extra! It cost me nearly $300 in soft drinks for my family. Also, they have no drinking fountains on the ship - that would prevent you from buying bottled water.

On our first cruise with Princess our statroom steward said that he was in charge of 8 rooms. He was fantastic. On our last cruise with Princess, our stateroom steward told me that he was in charge of 25 rooms. Needless to say, service was non-existant. Still, as a "courtesy" for me, the Purser's office saw fit to add $980 in tips to my room account. That represented $20 per person per day for my family. Please note; anything you bought on the cruise whether it was food, drink, etc., a 15% tip was automatically added to that charge as well. Needless to say, I got to wait the 1 hour and 15 minutes in line to get this courtesy tip bullshit removed from my bill.

I could go on and on about how poor Princess cruises have become, but I see no reason. I don't see them in business in 5 years. There were literally hundreds and hundreds of people on the ship complaining about the same things I mentioned. As far as sea sickness, I wouldn't worry about that part. On larger ships, once they deploy their stabilizers, there is very little detectable motion. I didn't see anyone sea sick.

Me, I think I'm finished with cruises. They used to be my absolute favorite vacation. I'm glad I got to enjoy them when they were enjoyable. At one point I was seriously considering taking the Mrs. on a 21 day cruise. Now, I think we'd get more enjoyment out of lighting 20k in $100 bills on fire and having a weenie roast over the fire. Hopefully not all cruise lines have gone completely in the gutter like Princess. If so, there will be huge amounts of scrap steel available for some tractor manufacturers to melt down for their machines as these large cruise ships go out of business. :tiphat:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've never been on a cruise and never had the desire. I've heard a lot of positive things about them, but the fact is you are stuck on a floating resort and if you don't like what the resort has to offer then you are not going to have a good time. Based on the concept of a floating resort, I've looked at a couple of cruises and simply didn't think I could occupy my time (enjoyably) with what is offered.

And then I just read this comment:
Big Dog said:
it's like a Vegas buffet!
And if this is what cruises are like, then it is probably a good thing I've never gone on one. A Vegas buffet is fun . . . for one meal. But afterwards you realize the food really wasn't very good quality.:smileywac

OkeeDon

We love cruises, but haven't been on as many as Dargo. We did our first cruise in 1980 on one of the original Carnival ships, the Mardi Gras, and again in 1981 on the Carnivale. Those were converted ocean liners -- the Empress of Britain and the Empress of Canada -- and were nothing like today's ships (The Carnivale is still sailing as the Topaz, leased to Japan Peace Ships, It's 51 years old). We didn't cruise again until 1995, again on Carnival. There wasn't a heck of a lot of time or money while our family was growing up.

Now that we're semi-retired (I'm retired; DW is still working but with flex time), we're getting our cruising fix. We eased back in last February with a bargain 12-day cruise to Panama on the Costa Allegra. The Allegra was a mid-size ship, only 33,000 tons and a little more than 700 passengers. We had an inside room (to see if we liked a real bargain) and hated it -- we felt like we were in a cave. We will never book an inside again. The rest of the trip was great -- the food was decent, the staff was friendly and competent, the shows were OK (small ships have cabaret-type shows, not Cirque du Soleil). But, the best part was because it was NOT a megaship, there were no crowds, no waiting (not even for an elevator), and we got so we could at least recognize everyone.

The Allegra was an older ship with few balconies and a little rougher ride because the stabilizers weren't as modern. I came back with a plan. Find another cruise line with mid-sized ships, only newer, with more balconies, etc. Somehow, I discovered Oceania Cruise Lines (Oceaniacruises.com). They have three nearly identical ships, all left over from Renaissance Cruises when that line went bankrupt. They are 30,000 tons, maximim 684 passengers, constructed in the '90's and refurbished since, elegant, beautiful and with 70% balconies. Oceania is reputed to have the best food on the ocean, even compared to ultra-luxury like Seabourn, Regent, etc.

We sailed on Oceania's Regatta between Thanksgiving and Christmas on a 26 day, epic voyage from Miami to Manuas, Brazil (1,000 miles up the Amazon) and return. We are hooked. I doubt we will ever sail anything but Oceania, again. We have booked a cruise on their Insignia in November, '07, 16 day trans-Atlantic from Barcelona to Rio de Janeiro, and have just booked another cruise on their Nautica in April, '08, a 35 day journey from Hong King to Athens, including stops in Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, India, Oman, Jordan, the Suez Canal, Egypt and finally Athens.

There are few cruise lines left which are all-inclusive, primarily Seabourn and Regent. They are fearsomely expensive. One would have to drink beyond one's capacity to justify the cost. Betsy and I drink about a thimble-full in comparison, and the cost would be a total waste, for us. Oceania includes unlimited lemonade, iced tea, tea and coffee, and offers free cappuchinos for meals, but charges for beer, wine, liquor, soft drinks and bottled water. It isn't cheap, a can of Diet Coke is over $2 with the gratuity tacked on (they all do it). I solve that probelm by bringing my own soda on board -- I brought 3 cases (72 cans) of Diet Pepsi on board for the Amazon trip, and ran out near the end, but found more in grocery stores in the ports. Oceania will allow passengers to bring beer, wine and liquor on board for consumption in the privacy of one's cabin. Most other cruise lines prohibit liquor, but some will permit beer or wine, if not consumed in public places. Many will allow carry-on wine to be served at dinner, with a corkage fee ranging from $10 t0 $25 -- Oceania's is $20. Most cruise lines will allow the unused portion of a bottle of wine to be corked and served again at the next meal -- which is good, because wine prices tend to equal those of the best restaurants. The lowest price on Oceania was $26 per bottle (it was a good New Zealand wine).

Most cruise lines still have fixed seating for dinner (same table and tablemates for the entire cruise), and most still have one or more formal nights. Oceania has adopted open seating -- eat when, where and with whom you like. Oceania has also adopted country club casual attire; there is no need to bring a sports jacket unless you want to, never a need for a tie, and certainly never a need for a suit or tux. Many ships now have alternative restaurants; there is usually a cover charge for the specialty restaurants. Oceania has the Grand Dining Room, Tapas on the Terrace (an elegant buffet that offers Spanish-style Tapas, made-to-order pasta and the same menu items and carvings as the Grand Dining Room). Polo (a top choice steak house) and Toscanna (fantastic northern Italian cuisine). Reservations are required for Polo and Toscanna, but there is no extra charge. We ate 5 times in each of them on our 26 days cruise, perhaps 5 times on the terrace buffet, and the rest of our meals in the GDR.

Norwegian has also adopted the open seating, which I like -- it's a good way to meet people. Just tell the maitre 'd you're willing to share a table. As Dargo said, it may be difficult to get the time or table you'd like on a megaship, but I can't imagine it being as bad as his experience. I think NCL has also adopted country club casual while retaining formal nights as an option. If I never have to pack for another formal night, I will be at peace.

Wow, I'm rambling, but I love to share our experiences. Any specific questions, just ask.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brent,

Thanks for the insight. I'm going to search around (or hope people post here) about any experiences with Norwegian Cruise Lines.

B_Skurka said:
I've never been on a cruise and never had the desire. I've heard a lot of positive things about them, but the fact is you are stuck on a floating resort and if you don't like what the resort has to offer then you are not going to have a good time. Based on the concept of a floating resort, I've looked at a couple of cruises and simply didn't think I could occupy my time (enjoyably) with what is offered.
Bob,

Looking at the itinerary, we're just on the ship during the evenings. Ship departs 6-8PM and arrives by 7-8AM at the next island. During the day, we're on the islands. Being "newbies" at this, I wouldn't want to start with a cruise where you spend most of your time on the ship either.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the info Don.

I just found out about this last night. I do need to find out a lot of information specific to this ship (re. attire, beverages, gratuities...).

I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions but y'all are giving me the info I need to figure out what questions/information I need to even get started.

working woman

Site Supporter
I've only been on one cruise in my life and it will be the last one. Yes, I got sea sick (the ocean was not that rough either) and the food was awfull. We opted for a late seating for dinner and talk about dried out food. Everbody at our table just looked at the food,then at each other and said youve got to be kiddin!

If you or your wife gets "swing sick" or motion sickness riding in the back seat of the car, you better take something for sea sickness.

cj7

Well I have never been on a cruise.. but I have been to Hawaii..

so when you get it figured out what island you will be on.. let me know.. we can offer some tips..

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
cj7 said:
so when you get it figured out what island you will be on.. let me know.. we can offer some tips..
Thanks Rick. I'm going to open a new thread to discuss just that.

P

Pigtails

So, I'm curious.. Has anyone went on a Alaska cruise? My daughter and future husband are going on a cruise in that area in June. ???

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Pigtails said:
So, I'm curious.. Has anyone went on a Alaska cruise? My daughter and future husband are going on a cruise in that area in June. ???

You let your daughter go out with your future spouse? What does your present spouse say about that?

Last edited:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
ghautz said:
You let your daughter go out with your future spouse? What does your present spouse say about that?

Wow, after 38 years I knew it was too good to be true. I am going to be booted out for a younger man...... :4_11_9: