• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Finally! Real fast internet!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I finally have real fast internet! Man what a difference! When I first moved to the NW I lived where I had to do with 56Kbps modem then I moved to where I could get ISDN (128Kbps). For the last year, I've had Direcway/Hughesnet (256kbps - with painful latency and sketchy QOS).:mad:

A local company finally put up a wireless tower near me and I just signed up with 1MBps service. What a difference!

:a1:

I think it is faster than the T-1 at my old work (I'm not competing with a hundred other geeks).

I'm one happy geek!
:intheclub:

Time for a happy dance!

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
I finally have real fast internet! Man what a difference! When I first moved to the NW I lived where I had to do with 56Kbps modem then I moved to where I could get ISDN (128Kbps). For the last year, I've had Direcway/Hughesnet (256kbps - with painful latency and sketchy QOS).:mad:

A local company finally put up a wireless tower near me and I just signed up with 1MBps service. What a difference!

:a1:

I think it is faster than the T-1 at my old work (I'm not competing with a hundred other geeks).

I'm one happy geek!
:intheclub:

Time for a happy dance!

I switched to wireless about 18 months ago (from rural dialup with less than 20k connection) and never looked back. The tower I am on has 10Mb backbone, and there are only 6 customers on it. :cool2:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is this wireless over the cell phone type towers? Is the cost comparible to other high speed options? I'm still fighting with dial up at home and I'm so sick of it. :(

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Doc said:
Is this wireless over the cell phone type towers? Is the cost comparible to other high speed options? I'm still fighting with dial up at home and I'm so sick of it. :(

Doc,

I have the wireless to a cell phone tower. It is ok, I am not totally happy with it and the price is expensvie. We are paying over $40.00 per month for a 256K line. It is ok as long as the kids are out of the house. To go up to a 750K line it would cost me over $80.00 per month and that is getting pricey. What pisses me off is we have a Fiberoptics substation just two blocks from out house and if Qwest wanted to they could open up DSL to us in the neighborhood but won't do it. And we don't have cable yet.

murph

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc said:

Mine is a dedicated wireless internet provider. $49.95 per month for 3Mb, unlimited monthly bandwidth.

Techinically, it is throttled to 3Mb, but I have been told by the owner of the company that he never bothered to put the cap in place, so I have the full 10Mb available.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
Mine is a dedicated wireless internet provider. $49.95 per month for 3Mb, unlimited monthly bandwidth.

Techinically, it is throttled to 3Mb, but I have been told by the owner of the company that he never bothered to put the cap in place, so I have the full 10Mb available.

That's a steal but I suspect if they were busier the costs would be higher.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Av8r3400 said:
What is the name of the provider?

How did you find them?

Their a local company. Actually, I know the owners but had to wait until they put up a tower with line of sight from my property. But if anyone lives East of Vancouver, WA they can PM me for the details.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
Their a local company. Actually, I know the owners but had to wait until they put up a tower with line of sight from my property. But if anyone lives East of Vancouver, WA they can PM me for the details.

99% of the population of the USA live east of Vancouver, WA. :hide: