• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Projection TVs

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The kind that hang from the ceiling or otherwise project from the front.

I've only been looking for about an hour but I like the Epson Moviemate since it contains a DVD player, speakers and everything else in a single unit. Just plug it in, load a DVD and play. Resolution isn't the best but pricing of under $1000 suits me.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with these types of projectors?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've heard of that type, where you can have a 8' tall screen, but I've never seen one working. Is this for the bunker? You can open a movie complex. :thumb:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep, it's for the bunker.

I was thinking of something that I can grab easily to bring home or take elsewhere if/when needed.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
The problem with any "all-in-one" device is that if/when one part of it breaks/malfunctions, you are fracked on the whole thing.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
The problem with any "all-in-one" device is that if/when one part of it breaks/malfunctions, you are fracked on the whole thing.
Agreed, but the portability, ease of use, price... is very appealing.

It looks like I can get one on e-bay for about $600. By time I purchase a DVD player, audio receiver, some speakers (& of course the projector itself), I expect to be over that price anyway.

I anticipate the kids using this thing as well. The less things they have to touch, the better. Power on, insert CD, hit play, done.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brian, I have one of those things at my office. It is not an all in one solution. It must be connected to a PC or DVD player, it also does not have speakers.

As you pointed out, you are wary of the resolution (usually they are pretty marginal).

You have to be careful of the brightness. Many of these things really need a dark room to effectively view the images on a wall. This is no different than when you look at plasma, LCD or other high end TV sets. Two sets may have equal picture quality in a dark room but one may have much better ability to be seen in a bright room.

I do agree that for the kids, an all-in-one box is the best choice. My question is will it suit both YOUR needs and THEIR needs?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Many of these things really need a dark room to effectively view the images on a wall.
For the forseeable future, it'll be in a conference room in the bunker. It has several lighting options but I would expect we would be using the incandescent can lights that are on a dimmer when watching.

Here's the specs on the unit. It's listed as 1200 Lumens (whatever that means :confused2: )

B_Skurka said:
I do agree that for the kids, an all-in-one box is the best choice. My question is will it suit both YOUR needs and THEIR needs?
For this unit, my needs aren't much.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I opted for the Epson Moviemate 25. I should have a review in a week or so. I just better hurry and get the carpet and trim installed in the conference room so I can put the furniture in there before the TV arrives.