• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What do you use to cut steel?

What do you use to cut metal sheet and bar?

• Total voters

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
What Vin said about him having only a grinder to cut steel got me thinking.

What does everyone use for cutting steel, or other metal stock?

Does anyone have any experience with those discs for circular saws? They look quite good for cutting sheet, but I cant think they do the saw much good?

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I didn't see O/A torch in the list so I also checked "other" along w/ cutoff saw.
Mike

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
A plywood blade in a handheld circular saw, installed backwards, works for steel studs and sheet metal. "Other" includes a sawzall, which I find most useful.

The motto in my workshop is "meaure with a micrometer, mark with a grease pencil, cut with a hacksaw, file to fit, and fill in the gaps with epoxy."

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Mostly chop saw and cut-off blades in my grinders. I use reciprocating saws occasionally. Need to buy a real Oxy/Acet torch just haven't got around to it.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Depending on the type of cut, I've got a portable Porter Cable band saw, a Harbor Freight cutoff saw, and a Ryobi recprocating saw. I'd say the most of the cuts have been with the band saw, but I've made a surprising number of cuts with the Harbor Freight chop saw so for $49 that thing has really been a pleasant surprise. I cringe every time I use it thinking "this will be my last cut" but it manages to make it through without burning up!

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I've used a circular saw w/abrasive blade quite alot and it hasn't damaged the saw .

Much prefer the bandsaw. Quieter and I can do something else, but not everything fits in it.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
I cringe every time I use it thinking "this will be my last cut" but it manages to make it through without burning up!

Oh yeah, just show it a 1/2" piece of rebar and tell it you need it in 4 sections. :whistle:

daedong

I use a chops saw and a 9” angle grinder most of the time. I do have one of those circular saw metal cutting blades, they work very well when work is well supported. Eg, in chop saw. I dislike using it because of the sharp little filling they make, deadly little buggers.