• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cats Meow Jamboree, April, 2015

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
the snow is piling up at Timberline Lodge, over 160 inches of snowfall since sept 1 2015, another 4 to 5 feet this coming week, and it is not even winter yet, looking like a fabulous year for snow, still aways away, the meow will have lots of snow to play on, great year coming for sno cat gatherings this winter, hope you can make it to at least one if not more, happy sno cat to all, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

teamster

Since I've never been to one of these get togethers I have e a couple questions. Since the dates are in early May, I would assume that the main roads would be good driving, can I get to the unload area with my Volvo or do I need 4x4? Since it would take me 2 days driving, each way, is the available amount of "snow catting " time over the 3 days a substantial amount or just a couple hours each day. The reason I ask is I've gone to many cutter rallies over the years with my horses and sometimes we only drove for 1 hour and then turned around, not very good when we drove for hours to get there. It hardly warrants owning a snow cat of any description for the amount of snow we get here, in Alberta, anymore, but I keep telling my wife I'll load it up and go to where the snow is, especially if I can go for a few days, with other "Cats". Thanx

Attachments

• IMG_0963.jpg
    IMG_0963.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 278

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Since I've never been to one of these get togethers I have e a couple questions. Since the dates are in early May, I would assume that the main roads would be good driving, can I get to the unload area with my Volvo or do I need 4x4? Since it would take me 2 days driving, each way, is the available amount of "snow catting " time over the 3 days a substantial amount or just a couple hours each day. . Thanx

My Experience: I got to drive as much as I wanted to.
The road up to Timberline is taken care of, getting to Oregon, US 26 ??

Was well worth my $$ and the ribbing I endured as I dealt with "issues"

CT

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Since I've never been to one of these get togethers I have e a couple questions. Since the dates are in early May, I would assume that the main roads would be good driving, can I get to the unload area with my Volvo or do I need 4x4? Since it would take me 2 days driving, each way, is the available amount of "snow catting " time over the 3 days a substantial amount or just a couple hours each day. The reason I ask is I've gone to many cutter rallies over the years with my horses and sometimes we only drove for 1 hour and then turned around, not very good when we drove for hours to get there. It hardly warrants owning a snow cat of any description for the amount of snow we get here, in Alberta, anymore, but I keep telling my wife I'll load it up and go to where the snow is, especially if I can go for a few days, with other "Cats". Thanx

the sno should be fabulous and the roads will not be an issue what so ever, glad to have you attend, and there will be lots of sno cats to play with, good time for all

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
We had a great trip down from Bellingham WA for the 2015 event. The roads were great and parking was perfect for the big rig. This is one venue that others will be hard pressed to beat. So there I put the challenge out there. The main lodge and silcox hut far exceeded our needs. The views from Silcox hut are spectular . Was there rumor of expanded operation area ? We enjoyd the run area.

Last edited:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

When I first saw Volvo, I thought the little car:wink:, never put that in my mind .
And since it says farm vehicle, are you calling the towed machine a haybine?
I think you need a snowtrac they started out as a bunch of swather parts :flowers::flowers:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
When I first saw Volvo, I thought the little car:wink:, never put that in my mind .
And since it says farm vehicle, are you calling the towed machine a haybine?
I think you need a snowtrac they started out as a bunch of swather parts :flowers::flowers:

what he really needs is a bigger trailer so he can three or four sno cats, maybe a car hauler doubled stacker

and if am I not wrong, think every sno cats origins started out as something else, basically used, car/tractor/airplane/motorcycle, worn out parts

first couple of the tucker sno cat prototypes used Crosley ( the car ) running gear and then tucker built the first five of it's production machines ( again ) used car running gear, No's 1,3, and 5 all had 216 chev engines and No. 2 used a chrysler flathead 6 and tucker No.4 ran a ford 60 hp V-8.

and in 1946, all but 2 of tuckers, used dodge engines, and the other two used chev engines.

"what he really needs is a bigger trailer so he can three or four sno cats, maybe a car hauler doubled stacker "

'was thinking the same thing - my almost lookalike Tucker could fit right behind that Tucker if the trailer was a tiny bit longer and Teamster could pick me up on his way south - he has to go almost past my door anyway - lol

teamster

Since I now own 2 Tucker's my plan is to ramp the front of on on top of the neck so I can haul 2 if need be. I would only bring one on this trip.

that's what I had pictured too

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Just a suggestion, have admins lock this thread, and start a "Meow 16" thread.

mr cider tom, good idea,

my thinking in not doing a new thread for '16 is that I do not want to lose everyone that follows the current thread, also there is a lot of great story already on this thread,
i do want to have another good/fun/successful event at timberline lodge, so if it is okay, think i would prefer to keep this one going.

thanks for the suggestion, sorry about the ribbing, it was in fun and hope you will come in '16, so enjoyed meeting you.

We are trying to keep the costs down with come for the day choice and or stay down mountain, in not so much money motels, RV camping, and or ??? brown bag eating is also a good way to keep the costs down, and for those that want the full Timberline Lodge treatment, please take advantage of what the Lodge has to offer, really want to see lots of sno cats on the mountain.

thanks tuckerville pontoon princess

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I do appreciate what our queen (princess) has to say, and I will defer to her judgement. My thinking is once we get started with the who-do-what-where it would be better to have a new thread just for '16. Otherwise cat's meow 2056 will be at the end of a really loooooong thread

If I can, I will be there.

CiderTom

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
that will be quite a thread, over 9 trillion posts in year 2056 and stlll going strong, yikes!!!

sure do hope you are able to come, given weather, mountain conditions, and the sno cat gods willing, hope to have lots of area to run and play, meow meow meow

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
oh cider tom,

Scott reports from Timberline Lodge tonight, he says this sno will still be around in May, 2016, and that is the famous orange burban tucker hunter buried in that skiff of sno, the burban is park right in front the Lodge. fyi, the door handle is 5 feet from the ground, and since September,1,2015, Timberline Lodge has received 241 inches of sno!!!

Attachments

• IMG_5289-1.jpg
    IMG_5289-1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Serious question- when it is snowing that much, how do they clear the snow from the upper parking lot that is full of cars? Do they state a time that cars need to be moved to another lot for a hour to do a clean sweep to get the parking space back?

And, Merry Christmas Princess!

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
first, they, i mean timberline lodge, get out their big big bucket loader and clear a path around the parking lot and then all the guests come out and are given a shovel to dig their own car out, unless you have scott, and he will dig your car out, he did 15 cars the other day, he is a tucker scout, always doing a good deed.

merry christmas,

hope santa brought you a grouser or two

pontoon princess

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

I just returned from several days at Mt. Hood/ Timberline Lodge OR. As you can see we had more than a dusting of snow. To answer your question, you should be OK with the Volvo rig unless there is snow on the road. Then the 4X4 with chains would be better. The road from Highway 26 to Timberline is six miles long with an elevation gain of 2000 feet. The grade is in the 8-10% area which is steeper than any interstate I know of. It is usually well plowed and sanded but storms can change the environment a bunch. You can look at their website and figure out the weather, and road conditions are there as well. May usually has fine weather, but I have seen the worst of storms up on the mountain in May, 1986 to be exact. It also is well worth the time and expense to have working trailer brakes and drag chains if the road conditions warrant.

Here is another shot of the parking lot. Even the parking lots are steep on Mt. Hood. To answer your questions Dave, a John Deere articulating loader scoops out as best possible and the cars are shuttled around as can be. It is a serious job as people are walking back and forth to the ski hills and tourists come and go as well. I find that shoveling cars out is like eating popcorn, once you start it is hard to stop.

I hope to see you teamster and all the folks who came to the 2015 Cat's Meow and those who should have.

Attachments

• Timberline snow Dec 25 2015.jpg
    Timberline snow Dec 25 2015.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 193

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I expect my snow trac will be like that when I retrieve it off the tower area today.
it is facing the blowing snow .I hope the engine bay isn't full.
jim

it's all about downhill

Nuts
GOLD Site Supporter
Drifter shoveled the snow off of my pickup (2nd to the left of the Orange Tucker Chaser) before I got a picture of the drift over the top of it. I thanked him anyway. And my dear wife snapped this before he could get to it...all is right in the world.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you go back to page 30, post 593 of this thread, you can see the top of the west chimney in front of the skier. We still have a ways to go to get to the big snow years but much better than last year at this time.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
11worth was great and truly enjoyed myself, now, time to think about cats meow jamboree at Timberline Lodge, Mt Hood, Oregon, very enjoyable event, great family time, and amazing sno cats, see you there, give Timberline Lodge a call,and ask for Chelsea, 503-272-3267, and make those reservations now!

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Warren, Adksnowcat, the sno cat artist from the east coast, will be attending cats meow jamboree this year, he will be bringing some 20 of paintings and have those on display/for sale, he seems very reasonable with his prices, and is thrilled to be coming, Warren will also take commissions in advance, also, he plans to do several paintings while at timberline, this going to be a very nice addition to the event and a chance for you to have a lonely oil painting of your sno cat, thank you Warren.

Last edited:

AdkSnowcat

I'm looking forward to the Cat's Meow! I can't wait to see all the snowcats! Sounds like I'll get to drive one too! My Tucker has been out of order for a couple years now. This is my year to fix it too! Anyway, I want to do some painting while at Timberline Lodge. I hear there is a great window that overlooks where the snowcats park. I imagine they don't stay put during the day for too long but maybe at night if there is a floodlight...I love the idea of painting some night scenes! Maybe it will even be snowing? Anyway I am really looking forward to meeting some of the people I have been reading about for years here on the Forum! And I am looking forward to having people see my paintings in real life. That sure hasn't happened often!

Here is a YouTube video of some of my paintings (about one minute):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uzdAnNGYHk

See everybody there!!!

Attachments

• Barncat2.JPG
    Barncat2.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 356
  • WoodsSpryte2850.JPG
    WoodsSpryte2850.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 355
  • 74TuckerDeepPowderX750.JPG
    74TuckerDeepPowderX750.JPG