• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

PDA Cell Phone

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
I was in the market for a new cell phone and now it looks like I'm in the market again!
I have been carrying two devices around for a while now - one PDA and one cell phone. I would like to downsize to one device if possible. I bought a new Palm Treo 650 (Cingular) last Thursday and yesterday it started acting up. It seems that no matter where I tap on the screen using the stylus, only certain actions will happen. If I tap on the left side of the screen in phone mode, only the number 2 will select. If I tap on the right side of the screen, only the number 5 will select. The keypad at the bottom works fine. Has anyone with this phone experienced this behavior?
I'm returning this phone today. Should I try another Treo 650 and believe that I just got a bad one? Should I try another brand PDA cell phone? Does anybody have any suggestions on a good quality PDA cell phone? These devices are a tad pricey so I want to get one that I can at least use for two years, although the quality of all cell phones seem to be going down fast.

Lawrence

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a 650 and only occasionally have minor glitches. When I do (about once a month) I remove the battery and reinsert it. It seems to clear up the problems. My sister has a Treo 700 and it seems to be similar but a little more complicated, she had a hard time getting some of the functions to work (and I don't know if she ever straightened it out). My competitor bought a bunch of Treo 700s and returned all of them. My salesmanger has a Treo 600 and it is still working great, but I don't think you can get those anymore? The 600 is nearly identical but does NOT have Bluetooth or a removable battery. My brother has a Treo 650 . . . but he lost it. We don't let him use power tools either.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
When I do (about once a month) I remove the battery and reinsert it. It seems to clear up the problems.

I have removed the battery on this phone and also used the reset button on the back of the phone. Nothing is helping it.

So Bob, would you recommend the 650 or not?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would trade it in for another 650 and presume it to be bad unit.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
Good news! It turns out the screen was just out of sync, so to speak. I had to run the program on the PDA which has you tap at certain areas on the screen to make sure it recognizes the right places. Everything is working fine now.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've never had that experience, but it sure makes sense because I've had to reinitialize once or twice and each time you have to go the "sync" screen process. I think I've done that once with my 650, but had to do it a few times with my old 600.