Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Off Topic Forums > Open Forum

Old 02-05-2013, 09:51 PM
Banned

Dargo will become famous soon enough
Default So, my BIL thinks the Bible tells us that ISON will destroy earth...

Has anyone else even heard of ISON? Here is a link NASA on ISON. If you Google "comet ison", you'll get plenty of hits. Still, I'm yet to find a single one that even remotely says it could hit earth. Still, his preacher says the KJV Bible has a mathematical equation written into it that tells of this destruction and the end of earth.

Needless to say, I have him pissed because I 100%, completely, totally told him without any doubt that I do not even remotely consider it true and suggested he ought to find another church. Now he wants to bet me his house that in Nov of this year the earth will be hit by this comet and be destroyed. The problem is that I cannot really take his house. My wife would divorce me for taking her sister's house. Still, how can seemingly 'normal' people be sucked into such garbage?

Oh yeah, he bet my dad $500 that the earth was going to end based on that Mayan calendar last year. How can I tell him to seek professional help before he wipes out his family's finances? He's gone to this same church for 15 years. The preacher was arrested several times before becoming a preacher for dealing in heavy drugs in the late 60's. Still, my BIL hangs on his every word.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

BigAl will become famous soon enough
Default Re: So, my BIL thinks the Bible tells us that ISON will destroy earth...

Now wait a minute ???? You have had some damn sorry luck lately . Maybe the bIL is on to something . HEY! We are going to get it sooner or later . Thats a fact ,Jack !
It might be best if he stays a long ways away from you when the shit is suppose to hit the fan .

Me ??? I'll be in Panama, in my hammock , drunk , smoking my Cuban cigar , reading my latest Clive Cussler book while naked native girls fan my tired ass with a coconut plam frond to keep me cool . Hey I can still dream

Just makes you wonder how much more this old world can endure .....

Disclaimer: Read with caution !!
Poster may be Bad Speller at times .
Old 02-05-2013, 10:44 PM
worn out farmer

muleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nice
Default Re: So, my BIL thinks the Bible tells us that ISON will destroy earth...

As the population expands so does the quantity of fruitcakes. I ain't going to live my life in fear of no asteroid hitting us. Hell if it does, it won't matter anyway.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleman View Post
As the population expands so does the quantity of fruitcakes. I ain't going to live my life in fear of no asteroid hitting us. Hell if it does, it won't matter anyway.

AND THat is my point exactly !!!!! How do you say

"Cosmic Collision Party time !!!!" in Panamaian !

Old 02-05-2013, 11:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
Now wait a minute ???? You have had some damn sorry luck lately . Maybe the bIL is on to something . HEY! We are going to get it sooner or later . Thats a fact ,Jack !
It might be best if he stays a long ways away from you when the shit is suppose to hit the fan .

Me ??? I'll be in Panama, in my hammock , drunk , smoking my Cuban cigar , reading my latest Clive Cussler book while naked native girls fan my tired ass with a coconut plam frond to keep me cool . Hey I can still dream

Just makes you wonder how much more this old world can endure .....
Hey, you like ole Clive? I've read all of his books and have chatted with him on FaceBook. He said he liked some ideas I had for Dirk Pitt and St. Julian Pearlmutter.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargo View Post
Hey, you like ole Clive? I've read all of his books and have chatted with him on FaceBook. He said he liked some ideas I had for Dirk Pitt and St. Julian Pearlmutter.

Hell yes I like his Books !!!! I could play the movie part of St. Julian Pearlmutter !!! Huge fan !!

Old 02-05-2013, 11:37 PM
Bronze Member

Mama is on a distinguished road

I think I read where they are predicting that comet on November 28, 2013.

Matthew 24:36 "But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only."

So, someone must be wrong....either your BIL's preacher or Jesus...and I'd be willing to bet it's not Jesus
Old 02-05-2013, 11:49 PM
Non Timebo Mala

Danang Sailor has a spectacular aura aboutDanang Sailor has a spectacular aura about

JPL in Pasadena says that it will come just a hair closer to Earth ... than the Sun does!! Your BIL's preacher is a psycho-ceramic!

Definition: Psycho-ceramic = Crackpot

Old 02-05-2013, 11:53 PM
worn out farmer

muleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nice

Definition: Psycho-ceramic = Crackpot

Now that is funny!
Old 02-06-2013, 12:07 AM
Silver Member

Leni will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Has anyone else even heard of ISON? Here is a link NASA on ISON. If you Google "comet ison", you'll get plenty of hits. Still, I'm yet to find a single one that even remotely says it could hit earth. Still, his preacher says the KJV Bible has a mathematical equation written into it that tells of this destruction and the end of earth.

Needless to say, I have him pissed because I 100%, completely, totally told him without any doubt that I do not even remotely consider it true and suggested he ought to find another church. Now he wants to bet me his house that in Nov of this year the earth will be hit by this comet and be destroyed. The problem is that I cannot really take his house. My wife would divorce me for taking her sister's house. Still, how can seemingly 'normal' people be sucked into such garbage?

Oh yeah, he bet my dad $500 that the earth was going to end based on that Mayan calendar last year. How can I tell him to seek professional help before he wipes out his family's finances? He's gone to this same church for 15 years. The preacher was arrested several times before becoming a preacher for dealing in heavy drugs in the late 60's. Still, my BIL hangs on his every word.

There is something very wrong with this guy. Does he have a death wish? I wish that we could help him and your family. It is really up to your wife's sister to come to her senses and make a major decision. Like leave him unless he comes to his senses which I doubt will happen. Preachers like that are nothing more than snake oil salesmen. What is scary is that they actually have people believing them. And some actualy believe what they preach. She may believe what he says or is too afraid to leave him.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:25 AM
Mr. Congeniality

JEV has a spectacular aura aboutJEV has a spectacular aura aboutJEV has a spectacular aura about

There are many people who "NEED" someone to control their thinking for them, because they simply cannot do it on their own. It's easy to determine who they are, by asking them why they believe what they do. If they don't have an answer or say it's because so-and-so told them it was so, you pretty much have a non-thinking sheeple...like your BIL (send him my way, I'd like to get in on the bets he's making so I can take his money). You can educate them in schools and universities, but they need handlers their whole life. Cults and charlatan, like your BIL's preacher, find recruiting and taking advantage of these people a lucrative and financially rewarding pastime. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson come to mind when I think of these crooks. They have a huge, uneducated, easily manipulated demographic that hang on every moronic thing they say, and the boys benefit well from their ignorance. The last think any of these preachers want is for their sheeple to start to think.

Time to go fishin'

"I'm no gynecologist, but I'd be happy to take a look..."

Old 02-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Bronze Member

Mark.Sibole is on a distinguished road

As soon as the weather clears up and it gets a bit closer ill shoot some pics of it so you can see what it looks like.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.Sibole View Post
As soon as the weather clears up and it gets a bit closer ill shoot some pics of it so you can see what it looks like.
Sounds cool. From what I've read, it's between 1 and 9 kilometers in size and will make a loop around the sun and fly off on it's merry way just leaving us with, perhaps, a nice show of light.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Bronze Member

Mark.Sibole is on a distinguished road

Time will tell.If all goes well it will make a nice showing like Hyakataki or Hale Bop did.Ita been way to long since Ive shot a decent comet.
Comet Lulin http://astronomy.qteaser.com/images/...Saturn-RGB.jpg
Comet 73 p http://astronomy.qteaser.com/images/M57-73Pfinal.jpg
Comet Swan http://astronomy.qteaser.com/images/c-2006swan.jpg
Old 02-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEV View Post
There are many people who "NEED" someone to control their thinking for them, because they simply cannot do it on their own.
I think they call them Democrats
Old 02-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
I think I read where they are predicting that comet on November 28, 2013.

Matthew 24:36 "But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only."

So, someone must be wrong....either your BIL's preacher or Jesus...and I'd be willing to bet it's not Jesus
I told him this and his preacher said that that only means we won't know the exact time of day.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
I told him this and his preacher said that that only means we won't know the exact time of day.
That's not what the scripture says. It doesn't say the hour of the day it says, "that day and hour". Just another example of people twisting scripture to try to justify their beliefs.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Bronze Member

Jesus also said:

Matthew 24:44 "You also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him".

Matthew 25:13 "Keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour"

Mark 13:33 "Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come."

That preacher is pretty arrogant to think he knows better than Jesus.

There was a reason why Jesus told us that no man knows when He will return. Just like the teenager who knew his parents were going to be gone until a certain date so he parties and has a good time right up until they return. Some folks would party and do whatever they wanted right up until November 27th and then fall on their knees, ask for forgiveness and repent just before midnight.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Bronze Member

bilbo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEV View Post
There are many people who "NEED" someone to control their thinking for them, because they simply cannot do it on their own. It's easy to determine who they are, by asking them why they believe what they do. If they don't have an answer or say it's because so-and-so told them it was so, you pretty much have a non-thinking sheeple...like your BIL (send him my way, I'd like to get in on the bets he's making so I can take his money). You can educate them in schools and universities, but they need handlers their whole life. Cults and charlatan, like your BIL's preacher, find recruiting and taking advantage of these people a lucrative and financially rewarding pastime. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson come to mind when I think of these crooks. They have a huge, uneducated, easily manipulated demographic that hang on every moronic thing they say, and the boys benefit well from their ignorance. The last think any of these preachers want is for their sheeple to start to think.
If I had worked on this for ten minutes I would not have come up with a better narrative to descirbe every religious order on this orb we call earth!

Thank You JEV!