• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

CPU, Mobo, Memory recommendations

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Have any of you built a system lately?
I'm upgrading a ATX case which now has a old 750mhz in it.
I'm looking for a processor mobo combo. I don't need the fastest thing out there. I saw a Intel dual core for $969. Way to much for a cpu.

I'm leaning to one New Egg had for $89. It's a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Orleans 2.2GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor. I'm sure it would be plenty fast for my new Linux test server. ASUS has a mobo for $112 that matches up to the processor or Biostar has one for $79 which doesn't look to bad.

I haven't priced memory yet.

I plan to use the same CD's (1 RW & 1R only), disk drives & floppy drive.

Any ideas?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Mad. That gives me a site to compare against newegg. I've been very happy with newegg but it's always good to shop around. :thumb:

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I haven't bought anything since I built this box about a year ago, but at that time NewEgg and ZipZoomFly seemed to have decent prices, selection, and return policies.
This thread caused me to go to the NewEgg site and review their AMD processor prices, and they've plummeted since I bought my Athlon 64 4000+ (939).
I don't try to keep up with the changes in computer technology so when I have to redo a box or build a system its always a steep learning curve.
Other than being new, are there advantages to the socket AM2 systems?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good question Glenn. I compared prices of the AMD 64's and the 939 was a few bucks cheaper than the AM2. I do not know of any advantage for either. I would like to know the differences also.

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would probably go with the AM2 if the price difference was negligible. It's the later "model" and may be around if you have a need to upgrade. I haven't looked, but probably will use a different memory from 939, and I would think there are some enhancements.
It appears from a quick look-through that you'll have to go with replace the video card (AGP?) too, as all I saw was PCI-E with the AM2 boards.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ahh good point. While looking for another part in my computer area I found a AMD 2500 w/ mobo and 256mb memory. I've already loaded it up and have it on the network. I had forgotten I had that one. :pat:
So, I can put off the upgrade for now. :D