Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Vehicles > Cars, Trucks Forum

Old 11-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Master of Distraction

PBinWA will become famous soon enoughPBinWA will become famous soon enough
Style: VB_Original_Style
Default Twin Stick Pappy

Alright . . . how many of you old timers have driven one of these:

I sure would like the chance to learn - I suspect I would suck pretty bad though.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

-Gerald Ford

Old 11-27-2012, 12:55 PM
worn out farmer

muleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nice
Default Re: Twin Stick Pappy

That is a sweet old Mack. Drove Korean war era GMC trucks that were twin stick. They were a PITA down shifting on hills. It took a lot of practice to blip the throttle just right to match the ground speed with the gear you wanted. Sure don't miss them.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:13 PM
member formerly known as dds

Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road

i have to admit that the newsuper 10's and road rangers are a lot easyer to drive i still want to find an old twin stick to restore the old twin sticks in the mack 10ton trucks the military had almoste required the engine brake to slow the 904 down enough to make a shift.
Snow trac's Rule and Krustys Drool
Old 11-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Site suporter

ki0ho will become famous soon enough

That is a spicer 5/4 ....Drove a B-52 mack with a 220 cummings with a set of boxes like that.....If you raised your hand to wave...chanses are you were lugging it!!!!!!Halled raw milk around baltimore and often made the trip from baltimore to newholand Pa.....right up goat hill.......after about a year the co got all new[then] 5 speed maxidines...with the gold dog and all.....after the spicers those maxis would drive you nuts!!!!! what to do with your right hand Yep been there done that!!!!! one thing you never wanted to do with the spicers ...was get both boxes into neutral..........cause all you could do is come to a complete stop.....not very handy on the side of goat hill.....or for that mater in down town baltimore!!!!!!done that to......

Duck Feather Wax
Free For The Asking
Old 11-27-2012, 11:29 PM
Bronze Member

300 H and H will become famous soon enough

I drove a early 70's vintage Mack R model with a 5X3 Mack gear boxes. It was hard to remeber where you were at in the sequence, if say you needed to slow down and shift down, more than a couple of gears. Just had to remeber when you're down to first on the left stick, you had to shift the auxuilary box at the same time. Just as was mentioned with the Spicer boxes, you didn't want them to both land in neutrual with the clutch out...

Thankfully we traded it for a Ch 613 with a Eaton Fuller 10 speed and air ride. I thought I had died and gone to heaven...

Regards, Kirk
Snow trac ST4 #267
Old 11-27-2012, 11:53 PM
Site suporter

ki0ho will become famous soon enough

Was told that the 5/3 was harder to get used to because of the wider spread ......the B searies was 50s into the 60s as I remember .....the but you could find them eith about any engine/trans combonation.....the maxies came out in the early 70s ....the silver dog was a 6cylender and the gold dogs were V8s....soon after that I came back to Kansas...drove mostly petes and kittys..with 425 cats with 16 speed road rangers..hauling cattle,in and out of feed yards....the 16s were a single stick with a high/low on the side and a flip/flop cap on top....real smooth operating box....the main thing with that setup those 425s were turned up fairly tight.and if you didnt watch the heat real close....and happened to lose a lower radiator hose..that engine was toast..almost instanty!!!!!!

Duck Feather Wax
Free For The Asking