• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Computer based Foreign Language classes

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Has anyone used any of the computer based programs to learn a foreign language?

I speak a very modest amount of German, took classes in grade school, high school and college. But I find no use for German in daily life and most of my skills have suffered from atrophy. I'd love to learn Spanish, we often travel to areas that are Spanish speaking and are looking to do some additional traveling in central America where most nations have Spanish as their primary language.

So I'm considering the ROSETTA STONE software. Anyone ever try it?

Or do you have any other advice on how to learn a foreign language?

http://www.rosettastone.com/en/?a=b

knowlanguage-home.jpg

HGM

Bob,
My son really likes the Rossetta Stone, we havent bought it yet, but they do offer a free demo online.. If you find a store that sells the series, they will also give you a demo disc(from what I have been told).... I plan on buying it for him for a Christmas present this year.. However, on the plane trip home last week, I saw an add for Instant Immersion... They claim to have a better program for less money, but I havent looked into it yet.. I do like the setup of the Rosettat Stone myself, it works really well to get you thinking in the language rather than interpreting...

jakki

Before any comp based class, you should take a "live" basic/intro course with a native speaker 2-3 hours a week min.

JayC

Huh?
I had no idea Rosetta Stone was that expensive. The only program I have ever had experience with is something that is around 6 years old. It is on the bottom of my desk drawer with all sorts of junk on it. I rarely ever used it because it was horrible. Very little excersizes, and what little it could do it wanted me to buy even programs. :mad: I have always wanted to learn Russian and was quite interested in hearing how Rosetta Stone worked.

Cityboy

Banned
I took French in school :eek: (What was I thinking) Remember little of it now, except for my teacher Mrs Reyes (Man she was hot! And multi lingual too). Use it or lose it. I think it mainly depends on the individuals desire to learn the language. If you really want to learn something, you will find a way to to gain the knowledge. If you are looking for the effortless route, you are destined to fail. I'd go with Jakki's advice. Take a class with a native speaker, and listen to CD's on the way home from class and while commuting, and then on the PC at home.

BoneheadNW

B_Skurka said:
I'd love to learn Spanish, we often travel to areas that are Spanish speaking and are looking to do some additional traveling in central America where most nations have Spanish as their primary language.
Also many parts of the U.S.!:whistle:
Bonehead

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
IMHO you're trying too hard Bob.

Start out slow. Go into most stores nowadays and you get the Spanish translation to many English words.

Then, move up to the Disney channel. The program into the bottom of some of their movies the closed-captioning in Spanish. :mad:

Now, to go even farther, pull out an instruction manual for most things you have bought. Here, you can learn most any language.