• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Keyboard lag time

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm having an issue with my PC where the keyboard doesn't reply for several seconds. If I don't type for a bit, quite often when I do try to use the keyboard, it accepts/memorizes whatever I enter but there's no display or action for awhile (5, 10, 15, 20 seconds).

The mouse is working fine.

Task Manager doesn't show anything burning up all my CPU.

Thoughts?

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a similar issue at times with my laptop, which is marginal (memory) for Windows XP. I also have automatic updates selected on it, and I believe that the background updates are a part of the problem.
My desktop at home has 2 gig ram and I've never had this type of problem there.
Just a "swag" and may not have a thing to do with the problem you're having.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Glenn

This is a laptop (using docking station/external monitor/KB/mouse).

I see my memory usage is running around 65%. When I get an opportunity, I'll reduce the # of applications I'm running and see if that changes things.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
BC, Not all RAM is created equal. You have a a few different "pools" of resources. In some cases these are threads and in other cases these are sections of memory that are used by the operating system to manage resources.

If you never "flush" your system by re-starting it and you run applications that are not good at cleaning up after themselves then eventually the whole system will just get bogged down with clutter.

How often do you re-start your computer - and I don't mean put it to sleep or hibernate?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
How often do you re-start your computer - and I don't mean put it to sleep or hibernate?
Somewhere between 15 and 40 days... :hide:

If I use stand-by, all my firefox sessions are right where I left them, my pertinent work stuff is still open...