• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

auto trans for an imp? any ideas?

I am considering putting an automatic in my 1404 as I go but am not sure of what might work. Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone don this in the past?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Anthony

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I too am all ears.

I do know that the colonge and essex motors are different.

One of them is the same as a 2.8 or 9 L ford V-6

That is apart how far I got on my quest. Happy shopping.

Borvig

Do it! But, do it all. These were assembled machines using off the shelf components. You are now dealing with 30 to 40 year old major parts. Unless you are a purest and want a perfect restoration. I'd consider the following. Tear it down. You are going to do this anyway once you have decided to change out transmissions. Measure up the available space, weigh the V4 and transmission. Do some kitchen table math on the gear ratios and hit the salvage yards. I probably would stay with a Ford drive train, say something out of a Ranger. this step will eliminate the problems of matching up a newer transmission to an obsolete motor. I'd defer to those who like the brand to offer a specific suggestion. I wouldn't see much point in an OD equipped automatic, you simply won't use the upper gears.The existing radiator should be OK, just work backwards, and the changes in length can be made up in the drive shaft. When you are done you have a EFI engine, parts are on the shelf at NAPA, and you will love how the machine drives with an automatic.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
if you are going that far i don't see a need for 6 cylenders a fi 2.3 or an iron duke with tbi will make quite a bit more horsepower than the little v-4 so why not just use a more moderen inline 4 if you all ready have acceptable preformance on the v-4

Borvig

I agree with everything said above. I didn't make it clear that I'd choose the 4 cyl. motor used in the Ranger pickup.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I found (from a desert racing friend) that there are 5 spd automatic 2wd ranger trans out there. I stalled out my searching and researching the 4.0L motor is the essex based block. the indicators were suggesting that the automatics can go to the V-4.. The V-4 is not a bad motor and has a few desirable features such as each connecting rod resides in one journal on the crank. gear driven timing and roller type rockers. 4bbl carbs and manifolds are available as well as easy big bore utilizing 2.3L pistons.
the boards been quite slow lately I think there are some interesting projects did you try searching the topic?

Hey Mike I intend to stick with the v4. After speaking with you and Mark I think it will be worth while. If I can find a auto trans to link up with it. I also considered a 2.3 turbo out of the tbird turbo coupe but I am afraid that the added length of an inline 4 and an auto trans might be too much. Borvig the cat will be used commonly between 4 and 8000 feet.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
boy if you have access to a 2300 turbo compleate with harness let me know they were kind of rare and it would make a great motor for my cj5 light effeciant and good hp to torque

I have purchased a 2.3 out of a mustang. I am still looking for an A4LD trans. I am going to begin fab on the engine mounts tomorrow. This shouls double my hp with little weight gain. Getting pretty excited to get it mounted so i can prep frame for paint and begin plumbing and wiring and resheeting the cat.