• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1972 Aktiv ST4 "Snow Trac"

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
IMG_0534.jpg

Hey guys, here are photos of my partially restored Snow Trac. The interior seat and back cushions are missing from the inside of the cabin (and have not even been made yet). The fuel tank is completly removed, it normally sits just inside the cabin at the rear with a fill pipe sticking out the rear of the cabin, I have the fuel tank at the body shop getting primed now. On some of the close up pictures you will notice grass on the tracks/running gear, it works on the grass too.

I am planning on building onto the dash to install a Blaupunkt stereo, 6 speakers, Magellin color GPS unit and a Delphi SkyFi2 XM radio. There will also be a chrome fan installed in the cab so it is more comfortable in the summer sun, and an electric heater installed to warm up the interior for winter use. I don't want to cut into the factory dash and cut up the original metalwork, so I'll be adding a lower extention to the dash and adding the accessories to that new lower area. I really just don't have time to work on this thing right now so I'm not sure when I will get around to adding the extras. I have all the parts to do the installs, just don't have the time. I am thinking of taking a few vacation days from work just to get started on all of it.

The engine & engine compartment will be fixed up a bit. A H.O. alternator is being added, new coil, new spark plug wires, new pulleys, new air filter housing, etc are all due to be added/updated in early November. The local High School auto shop is chomping their teeth to get their hands on this thing so they will be doing the engine work for free with me supplying the parts (already have the parts).

IMG_0525.jpg

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: 1971 Aktiv Fischer ST4 "Snow Track"

Here is a detail of the leading edge of one of the tracks. The tracks are made of 3 strips of heavy reinforced rubber that are held together by the metal cleats. The cleats are about 1" deep, 1" wide, and 17" across. I've been talking with a guy in New York who build all stainless steel cleats, I may have his shop make stainless cleats for mine too. You can see mine are rusted and there is no real way I can figure out how to prevent that.

IMG_0527.jpg

This is Misha, she is my Japanese Akita and while she loves the snow, she is very confused by the Snow Trac!

IMG_0532.jpg

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

The drive mechanism is connected to the front sprocket at the top/front of the track.

IMG_0530.jpg

Below is a shot of the track from under the Snow Trac.

IMG_0531.jpg

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

IMG_0522.jpg

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

I should probably point out that this is an older restoration that I purchased in parts. Basically I reassembled it as it was just becuase I wanted to use it. I really need to take it back apart and restore some of the warn parts. Obviously this is not designed to win the Pebble Beach auto show, this is a toy to be used and mechanically it is in very good condition as it sits except the parking brake system is disconnected. I intend to "Rhino Line" the floor and the underside of the unit. I am not sure if I will leave it in the red/orange stock paint. From my research, there are 3 primary colors for these vehicles. Mine is a civilian paint scheme. The English Commando units that used these had 2 paint schemes, one was a solid dark green, the other is a dark grey/white snow camo pattern (as seen in my avatar). Changing the paint is a low priority for me.

Here is the drivers area:

IMG_0517.jpg

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Here is a rear view. The hole in the body work to the left side of the door is where the fuel filler pipe/cap belong. The fuel tank should be ready to install next week.

IMG_0521.jpg

Last edited:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Bob,

Neat! Can I have a ride? That is going to be fun! Get much out of your helper?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter

B_Skurka said:
You can see mine are rusted and there is no real way I can figure out how to prevent that.

The rust on the tracks is easy to prevent! Use the machine daily, and they won't get rusty!

:coolshade

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

DaveNay said:
The rust on the tracks is easy to prevent! Use the machine daily, and they won't get rusty!

Easy to say, hard to do. But the guy in New York who had stainless cleats made said they were a great addition. He paid $2400 for a full set of them, with laser cut holes. I'm leaning on switching to the stainless cleats. I'm also looking to possibly install some teflon or nylon inserts into every-other cleat to allow it to run on the road without wearing down the cleats. It won't damage the road to run it on the road because it is very light weight, but it really wears the cleats down when it is run on asphalt.

BigDog, that photo of my helper shows you just how helpful she is (she is outside the door). She's a great dog, sweet to the family but protective of the home/property, but when the tools come out she tends to run the other direction. Although she does love to ride in the car, she is not so sure about riding in the Snow Trac.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter

B_Skurka said:
I'm also looking to possibly install some teflon or nylon inserts into every-other cleat to allow it to run on the road without wearing down the cleats. It won't damage the road to run it on the road because it is very light weight, but it really wears the cleats down when it is run on asphalt.

Hmmm...I'm pretty sure that nylon or teflon will wear down faster than the stainless steel. I would think you need something harder than the SS on every other cleat. Perhaps something like 1045 steel? You could chrome plate them (industrial hard chrome, not copper-nickel-chrome decorative stuff) and that will eliminate the rusting, and provide an additional case hardening protection. If you get a nice thick hard chrome coating (.005" - .010") It will polish up nicely with a little effort.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

DaveNay said:
Hmmm...I'm pretty sure that nylon or teflon will wear down faster than the stainless steel.

I probably should have explained the purpose a little better. My intent is that the inserts would be used to save the cleats from wearing down on pavement, but would also be 'friendly' to concrete drives and would not scratch them.

The inserts would essentially be considered as disposable inserts used to protect the metal cleats and to protect concrete from being scratched too.

I've been asked to participate in some parades and the public works officials are not thrilled with the idea of having a tacked vehicle on their main street. This this is way too light to damage any roadway, it puts down very little pressure per square foot, but it would be easier to install some nylon inserts than it is to explain things to some of these guys.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter

B_Skurka said:
The inserts would essentially be considered as disposable inserts used to protect the metal cleats and to protect concrete from being scratched too.

Gotcha. :thumb:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

That looks so cool Bob! Very nice paint job on it. The one in your avatar looks like it's white and that looks good, but now I figure that is snow on it.

What were these things used for when sold new? They have a European look to them. Who makes them and what motor is in them?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Swedish I believe with a 1600cc Volkswagen engine.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Doc said:
That looks so cool Bob! Very nice paint job on it. The one in your avatar looks like it's white and that looks good, but now I figure that is snow on it.

What were these things used for when sold new? They have a europian look to them. Who makes them and what motor is in them?

Thanks!!

Big Dog got it right, Aktiv Fischer is a Swedish company. The VW engine is a 1600 cc 4 cylinder boxer configuration engine.

My avatar photo shows a British Commando snow-camo unit.

From my research I found the following uses.
- Snow trail groomer for ski resorts.
- Snow trail groomer for snowmobile trails. [still in use for that]
- Personal transportation for folks who live in severe northern climates (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Canada, Japan). [still in use for that]
- Estates in the Scottish Highlands were not complete without one, and in the 70's if you owned a large Scottish estate you absolutely HAD to have one for the winter! Blame peer pressure for that. [still in use for that]
- The British Commandos used them as military rescue and border patrol vehicles.
- NATO used them as border patrol vehicles.
- Utility companies in Canada used them to access towers.
- Driven by Jack Nicholson in the Steven King movie "The Shining"
- I documented one that went to Antartica on an expedition.

For the most part, the ones I know of still in use are basically personal recreation vehicles, but many in northern climates are still used as primary transportation in severe northern climates during the winter months.

Below is a larger photo of the British 'Snow Camo' unit that I use for my Avatar.

SnowCamoST41.jpg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Thanks for the info, Bob and Big Dog. I would've thought it needed a bigger engine than that ....shows what I know. They sure look like fun. What a cool restoration project. And in the Chicago area you should get enough snow to have plenty of fun once yours is ready.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Doc said:
Thanks for the info, Bob and Big Dog. I would've thought it needed a bigger engine than that ....shows what I know. They sure look like fun. What a cool restoration project. And in the Chicago area you should get enough snow to have plenty of fun once yours is ready.

These things are not very fast, roughly 20mph. I was able to find out that there are 2 final drive gears that were available. I don't know which one I have. The slower speed unit has a top speed about 20 and the higher speed unit ran up around 25mph. Speed was less important than climbing ability. These things are supposed to be able to climb up slopes that are difficult to climb by foot.

Here is a photo of another one that has the military paint scheme. This one is at the REME Museum in England.
SnowCamoST42.jpg

Here is one that was outfitted as a Snow Rescue vehicle, I presume this was not painted or outfitted this way at the factory but was done after the fact.
SnowTracWHITErescue.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

By the way, the cab is optional. So if you want a really "sporty" Snow Trac, you can get the open top version show in this Norwegian brochure.

The smaller image is an advertisement from 1957 (Norway).

SnowTrac.jpg

Attachments

• 1957brosjyre.jpg
    1957brosjyre.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 9,367

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

There was also a more commercial type unit designed more for grooming purposes. It had either a short cab or a long cab but it had wider tracks.

SnowTracRedcustomtracks.jpg

Last edited:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter

B_Skurka said:
These things are not very fast, roughly 20mph.

Well, that just means that when the Borman, Indiana Toll and I-65 are all jammed with four million idiots and one tenth of an inch of snow, you will be the fastest thing out there!

And whoooo....if there is actually snow, you could probably go out and rescue all those people stuck, and charge them $10 each.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Dave, you sure do know the BOREman expressway pretty well. Let me guess, you've been stuck there a few times? I do everything I can to avoid that road but being the major expressway here it is tough to avoid. Heck 20mph is pretty fast on a nice sunny day during rush hour.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

You will notice in one of these photos the Snow Trac is being used to pull a hay wagon on grass, so it was used for more than just winter fun.

st.gif

Last edited:

ronjhall

Charter Member

Bob
You need to bring the Snow Track up here next winter. What a great way to get out on Lake St. Clair perch fishing. :)

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

ronjhall said:
Bob
You need to bring the Snow Track up here next winter. What a great way to get out on Lake St. Clair perch fishing. :)

Ron, why wait to NEXT winter when we have THIS winter coming up pretty quick!!!:rolleyes:

I am hoping to haul it around a bit this winter, probably into lower Wisconsin and into Michigan too. I may just show up at your door one day with a crazy red toy on the back of a trailer!

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter

There was a show on TV here a while ago where they restored one fo those babes. Did a crap job of it but thats no the point.
If ya ever wanna bring it back to Europe I have a nice spot here in the dry for it. What an awesome toy, er, tool ;) The fun you could have with that, you could go anywhere, even better, get a 3ph and pto on the back and mow with it :D
I want one :D, if ya ever selling it put in my bid with all the other 3000 you are likely to recieve :) :D

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Mith said:
There was a show on TV here a while ago where they restored one fo those babes. Did a crap job of it but thats no the point.
If ya ever wanna bring it back to Europe I have a nice spot here in the dry for it. What an awesome toy, er, tool ;) The fun you could have with that, you could go anywhere, even better, get a 3ph and pto on the back and mow with it :D
I want one :D, if ya ever selling it put in my bid with all the other 3000 you are likely to recieve :) :D

That is the exact one I bought!!!

My Snow Trac is a British TV Star (or starlet?) from the TV show Salvage Squad.

You are totally correct they did a crap job of it, but it is what it is. On the TV shows they just have to make it look good enough for the camera but not that good if you inspect it. Actually to say that they did a "crap job of it" is to pay them a pretty high compliment!!! The guy they restored it for eventually sold it to me after playing with it for a while. His name was also Bob, and he & his girlfriend ran it up a Scottish mountain for the TV show. They were great people to deal with and we had a lot of fun trading emails and information. When it arrived it was actually in better shape than I expected, albeit with paint runs and exposed caulking. A TV restoration is basically a slap together job, which is why it needs to be redone properly. It is mechanically pretty sound, it lacks a lot of fit and finish and detail work. But its still a load of fun! :D

Here is a link to the Channel 4 Salvage Squad web site where it talks about my Snow Trac. http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/S/salvage_squad/machines/snow_trac/index.html

You will notice a picture on the Salvage Squad site, it is one I had posted on TBN for a while, but under it I had posted a disclaimer that the unit I purchased was put together from that base unit.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter

Even more awesome, a TV star Snow trac!
If you dont mind me asking what did you pay for it?
Hey I guess atleast they sorted the running gear for you, from the view of your average viewer the work they do looks good though you can see that alot of the stuff they do is clearly not right. At the end of the day the main presenter (Suggs) is a singer and the mechanics are presenters ;)
You ought to try to sell the rest of the story to the BBC when its all done, 'Salvage Squad revisited' :D
Nice one!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

In the condition I bought it, it was rough but running and the price was about US$6000.

I've seen them in very nice condition as high as US$19,000.00, but I don't know that there were any buyers at that price. The price range for running units when I was shopping last year was running from roughly $6000 to $12,000 depending on location and condition. I'd say I got a decent price on a decent unit.

As for TV shows that put together cars, every once in a while I catch a show here called "Monster Garage" and I sort of think that they build their vehicles to be used 2 or 3 times and then sent in for repairs. Salvage Squad did a better job than that, but much of the job appears to be assembly of rusty parts. I've started to repair some of that bit by bit. I'll eventually get it all done.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

PROGRESS UPDATE:

I picked up the gas tank from the body shop on Thursday. They patched some holes and pressure tested it (and lost my gas cap!).

Today I got up early and took the gas tank over to my shop and sprayed a nice coat of white paint over the grey primer. In a few days I will overlay the white paint with some temporary vinyl decals that spell out "PETROL" on the side of the tank. Then the entire tank will get a coat of bright red paint over the entire surface. A few days after that I will remove the vinyl decals and I'll be left with a red surface with white lettering.

I also have to figure out how to properly hook up the tank. There is an electrical connection terminal on the top of the tank??? I'm guessing it is to discharge static electricity to prevent an explosion? I really have no clue. I think it will take some serious digging around to figure out what to with that.

The other minor problem is the fuel line itself. It is just a rubber hose. The tank has a threaded end on it, the hose does not. So I'm going to have to find an end piece that will attach to the hose and then screw it onto the tank connector.

Last edited:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Bob,

Normally, the wire that connects to the top of the tank is for the fuel gauge sending unit.

Is the threaded portion the right size to slide the rubber hose over it? If so, why not just slide it on and secure with a hose clamp?