Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Agriculture & DIY Forums > Home Improvement Projects, Appliance upgrades, Misc Household items Forum

Old 07-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Banned

Dargo will become famous soon enough
Default Decra Metal Roof Shingles

After 6 weeks of trying to get someone to show up, I'm starting to branch out to construction crews outside my local area to get my roof replaced. Yesterday I had an Amish crew show up and show me these metal shingles that looked just like regular shingles once you were past about 3' away from them. Here's a link to them Decra metal shingles. A regular raised rib roof like on my barns is not an option for my house. With that being the case, I'd pretty well ruled out metal roofing.

I'm not sold on going this route by any means, but now I think this is an option I may consider. Anyone have any experience with them?
Old 07-06-2011, 11:43 AM

rooftech is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Decra Metal Roof Shingles

Decra is just one of the stone-coated steel roofing products available. There is Gerard, Metro, Stonehenge, Steelrock... Most manufactures have two types, battened and batten less. I would stick with the battened designs. These types of roofs will likely out last the house if installed right. The only problem is finding good, qualified, installers. Check with the manufacture or distributor in your area to see who is qualified to install these products. If you want to contact me with any questions, you can reach me at 916-223-8188. Scott Hieb Roofing Techniques
Old 07-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Banned

Dargo will become famous soon enough

Yeah! Almost 9 weeks after the storm I finally got a roofing crew to show up!!

Now my big problem starts. Every estimate I got is between 7k and 20k more than State Farm says they'll pay. It may be time for the insurance commissioner and/or an an attorney. When we had a really bad ice storm a few years ago (my only other homeowner's claim in 26 years with State Farm), I ended up just a little over $14,000 out of pocket from them shorting me. This time I'm gonna fight like a Silverback Gorilla that just got a titty twister!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Melensdad will become famous soon enoughMelensdad will become famous soon enough

I'm guessing that State Farm is pro-rating the roof value?

I know I just had a new roof put on my house. I debated steel and regular shingles. Went with regular shingles. What surprised me was the range of the bids from one contractor to another. Lowest to highest varied by roughly 50% difference for the EXACT same shingles, brand, weight, wholesale supplier, etc.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand