• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

A Saudi Prisoner

Dr.Divine

Hello Dear members,
this is my first topic in this Great Forum
so excuse me if I wasn't Clear in writing it,
Anyways
I dont know if u heard about Hemeedan Al-Turky Father of 5 children.
He was sent to the USA to get his Doctrate Degree from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
He is now in Jail,for a crime Saudi people r sure he did not commit.
His sentence was prison to LIFE.
Do u think thats a fair verdict?
The charges against him were Kidnapping first degree-Planning to kidnap first degree-Sexual Harassment 4th degree.
Im no Lawyer,
But I believe Jail for life isnt an option,Because The story Started at 2004 when he was arrested for Mistreating their House maid and he was released on Bail.Then He was arrested again 9 weeks ago if Im not mistaken. He was sentenced to life in jail. Do u think that its worth it?and just for the record,when they asked the maid the first time she said no they treated me as if I was one of their own,six months later she said He abused me.whats that about?
and are his charges worthy of life in jail?
His story is all over KSA in every News paper.
People here think its being Racism.
I would really like to know,if u think that thats normal for a man to be in jail for life for these reasons and with insuffecient evedince.
The Maid said they were treating her like family six months later they changed their mind.WHY?
Thank u for having the time to read my post.
Im so sorry for any mistakes I might have made in this topic since this is my first topic here.
Thank u for passin' by.

daedong

[FONT=&quot]First I must say I am an Australian, I have just found some articles on this guy and he has not been sentenced yet. Until you know his sentence there is no point talking about the length of time he will serve in jail. If there is insufficient evidence I am sure his Lawyers would be looking at an appeal. If guilty he should be locked up for life and throw the key away.[/FONT]

Dutch-NJ

This type of behavior is illegal in America and the rest of the free world​

Saudis Import Slaves to America

New York Sun June 16, 2005

Homaidan Ali Al-Turki, 36, and his wife, Sarah Khonaizan, 35, appear to be a model immigrant couple. They arrived in America in 2000 and now live with their four children in an upscale Denver suburb. Mr. Al-Turki is a graduate student in linguistics at the University of Colorado, specializing in Arabic intonation and focus prosody. He donates money to the Linguistic Society of America and is chief executive of Al-Basheer Publications and Translations, a bookstore specializing in titles about Islam.

Last week, however, the FBI accused the couple of enslaving an Indonesian woman who is in her early 20s. For four years, reads the indictment, they created "a climate of fear and intimidation through rape and other means." The slave woman cooked, cleaned, took care of the children, and performed other tasks for little or no pay, fearing that if she did not obey, "she would suffer serious harm."

The two Saudis face charges of forced labor, aggravated sexual abuse, document servitude, and harboring an alien. If found guilty, they could spend the rest of their lives in prison. The government also wants to seize the couple's Al-Basheer bank account to pay their former slave $92,700 in back wages.

It's shocking, especially for a graduate student and owner of a religious bookstore - but not particularly rare. Here are other examples of enslavement, all involving Saudi royals or diplomats living in America.

* In 1982, a Miami judge issued a warrant to search Prince Turki Bin Abdul Aziz's 24th-floor penthouse to determine if he was holding an Egyptian woman, Nadia Lutefi Mustafa, against her will. Mr. Turki and his French bodyguards prevented a search from taking place, then won retroactive diplomatic immunity to forestall any legal unpleasantness.

* In 1988, the Saudi defense attaché in Washington, Colonel Abdulrahman S. Al-Banyan, employed a Thai domestic worker, Mariam Roungprach, until she escaped his house by crawling out a window. She later said that she had been imprisoned there, did not get enough food, and was not paid. Interestingly, her work contract specified that she could not leave the house or make telephone calls without her employer's permission.

* In 1991, Prince Saad Bin Abdul-Aziz Al Saud and his wife, Princess Noora, lived on two floors of the Ritz-Carlton in Houston. Two of their servants, Josephine Alicog of the Philippines and Sriyani Marian Fernando of Sri Lanka, filed a lawsuit against the prince, alleging they were held for five months against their will, "by means of unlawful threats, intimidation and physical force." They say they were only partially paid, were denied medical treatment, and suffered mental and physical abuse.

* In March 2005, a wife of Saudi Prince Mohamed Bin Turki Alsaud, Hana Al Jader, 39, was arrested at her home near Boston on charges of forced labor, domestic servitude, falsifying records, visa fraud, and harboring aliens. Ms. Al Jader stands accused of forcing two Indonesian women to work for her by making them believe "that if they did not perform such labor, they would suffer serious harm." If convicted, Ms. Al Jader faces up to 140 years in jail and $2.5 million in fines.

There are many other similar instances, for example, the Orlando escapades of Saudi princesses Maha al-Sudairi and Buniah al-Saud. The writer Joel Mowbray tells of twelve female domestics "trapped and abused" in the households of Saudi dignitaries or diplomats.

Why is this problem so acute for affluent Saudis? Four reasons come to mind. Although slavery was abolished in the kingdom in 1962, the practice still flourishes there. Ranking Saudi religious authorities endorse slavery; for example, Sheikh Saleh Al-Fawzan insisted recently that "Slavery is a part of Islam" and whoever wants it abolished is "an infidel."

The U.S. State Department knows about the forced servitude in Saudi households and laws exist to combat this scourge but, as Mr. Mowbray argues, it "refuses to take measures to combat it." Finally, Saudis know they can get away with nearly any misbehavior. Their embassy provides funds, letters of support, lawyers, retroactive diplomatic immunity, former U.S. ambassadors as troubleshooters, and even keeps pesky witnesses away.

Given the American government's lax attitude toward the Saudis, slavery in Denver, Miami, Washington, Houston, Boston, and Orlando hardly comes as a surprise. Only when Washington more robustly represents American interests will Saudi behavior improve.

Dutch-NJ

Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA)

Human Rights

Saudi courts impose capital punishment and corporal punishment, including amputations of hands and feet for serious robbery, and floggings for lesser crimes such as "sexual deviance" (e.g. homosexuality) and drunkenness. The number of lashes is not clearly prescribed by law and varies according to the discretion of the presiding judges. The number ranges from dozens to several thousand, usually applied over a period of weeks or months. In 2002, the United Nations Committee against Torture criticized Saudi Arabia over the amputations and floggings it carries out under the Shari'a. The Saudi delegation responded defending "legal traditions" held since the inception of Islam in the region 1400 years ago and rejected interference in its legal system. Perhaps as a result of its tough stance on crime, the country's citizens do enjoy a low crime rate.

Religious Freedom

Saudi Arabia is strict on tradition and does not permit religious freedom and bans all visible forms of non-Muslim worship. Non-Muslims, as well as Muslims who do not adhere to the Sunni Islam, are advised by Mutawwa'in (the religious police) for acts considered offensive to state ideology. Citizenship is restricted to Muslims, but non-Muslims are allowed in many jobs all over the country, regardless of their religions. The government maintains 50 Call and Guidance centers to encourage foreigners to convert to Islam. Religious police enforce a modest code of dress and many institutions from schools to ministries are gender-segregated.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have not seen or heard anything of this. I did a google search and came up with nothing.

If the NY Sun article above is reasonably accurate it strikes me as illegal activity here in the US. In fact it strikes me as illegal activity in 98% of the Western world. And kidnapping and slavery are considered severe crimes that yield severe penalties.

Our cultures are very different cultures.

Our soldiers who are stationed in many middle-eastern nations are not allowed to eat pork, they are not allowed to show a symbol of their religion (crucifix or Star of David) , they are not allowed to drink any alcohol, and a whole host of other things. I know this because I regularly ship packages to soldiers stationed in 3 different nations and there is a long list of common products that are forbidden. While none of these 'crimes' would be any crime in our nation, they are crimes in other nations and our soldiers must abide by the rules & laws of those nations.

This is no different than the 'crime' committed by Homaidan Ali Al-Turki. While perhaps not a crime in your nation, it is a serious crime here in the US and is treated with severe consequences.

I see no racism in the article above.

I see people from one culture who did not take time to learn the laws or culture of the nation they moved to and violated some very serious laws.

LarryRB

Couple of years ago when prince ala bubba or whatever his name is from saudi, arrived in Texas,, they refused to land because of a female control tower operator.. I read several posts about this on our chopper net, where these posts were forwarded to us from the FAA operators net.. I have no way of proving this is accurate or not, as it was couple years back.,., I will say it is not the first time I've heard the same... It is OK if all "OTHERS" abide by saudi traditions as they visit foreign areas,... It is "NOT" OK,, to pick on their culture in any way or manner. A good friend of mine, that ran DIA for 3 years always would tell us,, Saudi, deep down is our number one enemy.. He made this statement back in 94.. I think he is right, given all the cultural clashes , hidden monies that Saudi people send to terroists groups, HAmmas being one of them.. I believe my friend to the last degree.....

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Life in prison in the U.S.A. is rarely ever "life" in prison. You have to be pretty bad to spend the full 20 years in the jail. I suspect that this guy wouldn't spend more than five years in jail. More likely he would just get a slap on the wrist and deported. Typically there is a huge disparity between what prosecutors want to see happen to a criminal and what actually happens in the court.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
daedong said:
Bob, Google Al-Turki
Thanks Vin, that worked.
PBinWA said:
Life in prison in the U.S.A. is rarely ever "life" in prison. You have to be pretty bad to spend the full 20 years in the jail. I suspect that this guy wouldn't spend more than five years in jail. More likely he would just get a slap on the wrist and deported. Typically there is a huge disparity between what prosecutors want to see happen to a criminal and what actually happens in the court.
Typically you are correct on that.

As to what I have now found, here is another story:
Man gets bail in 'sex slave' case
http://www.hindustantimes.com/onlineCDA/PFVersion.jsp?article=http://10.81.141.122/news/7242_1445633,001800080000.htm
A federal judge set bail at $400,000 for a Saudi Arabian man who has been held on charges that he enslaved and sexually assaulted an Indonesian woman at his suburban Aurora home. A federal magistrate judge earlier this month had refused to grant bail to Homaidan Al-Turki, 36, who faces state and federal charges including forced labor, false imprisonment and rape for allegedly keeping the woman captive for four years.

His wife, Sarah Khonaizan, 35, is free on $25,000 bail on federal charges of forced labor, document servitude and harboring an illegal immigrant. Al-Turki and his wife also face state charges including false imprisonment and extortion. Al-Turki, who also is charged with rape in Arapahoe County District Court, is scheduled to appear there for a preliminary hearing Sept. 9. The judge in that case had earlier set bail at $400,000.

If convicted, Al-Turki could face multiple life sentences in state and federal prison.

The Saudi government has sent $400,000 to Al-Turki's lawyers for them to post in state court if he is released from federal custody and from the custody of US Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Al-Turki's lawyers said it was unclear whether his family could post the $400,000 bond granted by US District Judge Walker Miller, and said they expected an additional $50,000 bond to be ordered by an immigration judge.

Dozens of members of the Denver-area Muslim community, including Al-Turki's family and the spiritual leader of the state's largest mosque, packed the courtroom. Many had written to the judge expressing support for Al-Turki. Other letters of support came from Al-Turki's academic colleagues at the University of Colorado, where he is studying linguistics.

Prosecutor James Allison argued there was no way to guarantee that Al-Turki, who has family in Saudi Arabia and Canada, would not leave the country, especially when he is facing a possible life sentence.

Defense attorneys said Al-Turki, who is in the United States on a student visa, is a respected doctoral candidate at the University of Colorado, and has a wife and four children and other strong ties to the Denver area, including his business.

Defense attorney John Richilano said there is evidence that on several occasions without Al-Turki present, the Indonesian woman had denied to authorities that he had raped her, and passed up opportunities to report a crime. He also said the woman had called Al-Turki and his wife after she had been taken to a safe house and that Al-Turki was trying to find her an immigration attorney. The judge said he believed Al-Turki would not present a danger to the community if released on bail, and said he did not believe Al-Turki would leave the country.

"It's a comparatively close call given the nature of the charges and the reality that he is a foreign national and could flee," Miller said.

But he said the evidence presented so far - an arrest affidavit from an FBI agent - was not enough to convince him that Al-Turki should be held without bail.

The affidavit said the Indonesian woman told investigators she baby-sat, cooked and cleaned for Al-Turki's family and other families for seven days a week with no regular days off from 2000 to 2004. When she was not working, the woman was confined to an unheated basement where she slept on a mattress on the concrete floor and was repeatedly sexually assaulted by Al-Turki, the affidavit said.

The affidavit said she was compensated less than $2 per day for her work, but Richilano said under her agreement with Al-Turki's family, she was to be paid in full at the end of her service.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Dr.Divine said:
The charges against him were Kidnapping first degree-Planning to kidnap first degree-Sexual Harassment 4th degree.
Im no Lawyer,
But I believe Jail for life isnt an option,Because The story Started at 2004 when he was arrested for Mistreating their House maid and he was released on Bail.Then He was arrested again 9 weeks ago if Im not mistaken. He was sentenced to life in jail. Do u think that its worth it?and just for the record,when they asked the maid the first time she said no they treated me as if I was one of their own,six months later she said He abused me.whats that about?
and are his charges worthy of life in jail?
Kidnapping can yield a very long sentence in jail here in the US. Clearly under US laws, he is at very least circumstantially guilty of kidnapping.

The fact that he was released on bail is due to the leniency of the US system of justice that presume innocence until proven guilty.

As for the sexual abuse, rape, slavery charges. Each of those can yield charges of 20 years to life, depending on circumstances. They can be state or federal crimes depending on circumstances.

If this man is found guilty, it is because he committed these acts and not because of his race. Some of his actions may not be illegal in other nations, however they are VERY SERIOUS CRIMES here in the USA. As to your question: "are his charges worthy of life in jail?" The simple answer is YES. Under US law, if he is guilty he should be locked up forever.

The likelyhood is he will be kicked out of the US an not serve any real time for crimes that we find to be repulsive.

beds

Dr.Divine said:
Do u think thats a fair verdict?
Im no Lawyer,
But I believe Jail for life isnt an option,Because The story Started at 2004 when he was arrested for Mistreating their House maid and he was released on Bail.Then He was arrested again 9 weeks ago if Im not mistaken. He was sentenced to life in jail. Do u think that its worth it?

I think it's a fair verdict - if that's what is arrived at. These allegations must be proven in court. I think the outrage in the KSA and probably other elitist Arab nations is because this is the way they treat their servants and they don't see anything wrong with it. These kinds of attrocities are committed every day in Kuwait for example, and I would guess Saudi Arabia.

HGM

Bob,
You hit the nail on the head.. Different cultures.... Having lived in Saudi Arabia in the late 70's,although I was young and things may have changed to a degree, I can totally relate.. When we lived there there were no Ford products allowed in the kingdom, presumably because a major stockholder was jewish(racism)... Women were not allowed to drive(sexism).. Alcohol was sticktly forbiden, to the point there were routine raids(or threats of them) on the compound to make sure the Americans(or Brits in our compound) werent breaking the law(racism/nationalism?)...

I remember several years back our nation was up in arms because some punk kid from American visited Singapore and spray painted grafiti on cars and got caught.. His punnishment was public caning, the American people showed displeasure in this punishment because it was so extreme and far from how we would handle it here.. Personally myself, and many I know, thought it was a fitting punishment, and deter him from ever doing it again, but the overwhelming noise came from those who disagreed with it..

Bottom line, when you visit another country, you MUST follow their rules/laws or you will be punished to their standards..

So, the question comes to mind again, why the outrage when our troops follow the lead of the musslim world and loose sight of the Geneva Convention rules?? Our troops are in their country and should be alowed/expected to follow their ways, correct?

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
A cultural problem

This is a little off topic but somewhat connected. In 1991 my daughter was with the 3rd Armored Div in Saudi Arabia. There were many things she could and could not do because of Saudi requests. On one occasion her Sgt was opproached by a local sheik who offered to buy her, the blonde hair I think was the attraction. Some cultural habits die hard. The funny thing was her outfit was one of the first to get to Kuwait City, once there, the Kuwaitis couldn't have cared less about head covers, dress codes or anything else the female military did, they were so happy to have the Iraqis out of their country. My daughter said she was treated with nothing but respect. Life does seem to have it's priorities.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Re: A cultural problem

RoadKing said:
........... The funny thing was her outfit was one of the first to get to Kuwait City, once there, the Kuwaitis couldn't have cared less about head covers, dress codes or anything else the female military did, they were so happy to have the Iraqis out of their country. My daughter said she was treated with nothing but respect. Life does seem to have it's priorities.

That was a long time ago in the history of the modern world. What you did for them yesterday, they forgot last night, and you have to win them over to your side today. That is the reason that we continue to give foreign aid to countries that don't need it, but the politicians want it. I often wonder how much of our foreign aid comes back to the US in political campaign donations. Lets stop giving away all the foreign aid to the countries that have absolutely no interest in supporting us..... read this post from last month...

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter

Junkman, I'm probably a lot more radical than most. If I was in charge ( I've been saying this for years, it would be harder today than 20-25 years ago) I would shut down the state dept. as we know it, get rid of all ambassadors & embassies. Any countries we should deal with get a set of US business offices. Ambasadors go back to the days of sailing ships when you needed someone in authority on site in case a decision was needed, unecessary today. Any country that we feel needs a Marine force to guard our "diplomats" doesn't get an office. End all foreign aid, bring home all American troops. Any corporations that do business in foreign countries should be responsible for their own security for employees and business interests. Tax all monies leaving this country, how much ?. Keep our military and weaponry as modern as possible, I truly believe that with all the different cultures, beliefs and despots around the world today the only peace achievable is through strength, and nobody kicks the big dog. I'm not an educated man and some of my ideas may be overly simplistic but we must be able to do more for the working people who support the US and make their lives a little safer and better. Sorry about the venting, but I do feel better.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

RoadKing said:
In 1991 my daughter was with the 3rd Armored Div in Saudi Arabia. There were many things she could and could not do because of Saudi requests. On one occasion her Sgt was opproached by a local sheik who offered to buy her, the blonde hair I think was the attraction. Some cultural habits die hard.
Perhaps that is illustrative of the cultural differences we have to deal with in this case.

We have a Saudi family here apparently attempting to live under Saudi customs which are in violation of US laws.

The Saudi view, as expressed by Dr. Divine, is that we are being racists because we are holding this man to our standard legal system. Yet, when we are visitors in his nation we are expected to follow his laws and surpress our own laws, our culture, and our beliefs. Examples of western visitors being forced to follow Saudi laws and customs have been given and are credible.

Dr.Divine said:
His story is all over KSA in every News paper.
Why would the Saudi people view a Saudi living in the US, and being expected to follow our laws, as being treated in a racist way? To me this is very hypocritical and wrong thinking. We are expected to follow Saudi law when we are in Saudi Arabia, why should you not be expected for follow American law when you are in the USA?
  • The man is out of jail on bond.
  • He has not been sentenced to any punishment.
  • He has only been accused of a crime.
  • There is plenty of evidence to show he did break US laws (Rape, Kidnapping, etc)
  • He has not even faced trial yet.
  • It strikes me that the Saudi media is wrong and not reporting real facts.
I also think that many Saudi people do not understand our American legal system. Perhaps the Saudi media is not correctly reporting the story and the people are also not correctly understanding our system. We Americans are being accused of racism when in fact we are being stereotyped wrongly. Our system is far slower, far more careful, and far more lenient than many other systems around the world. Great pains are taken to preserve the rights of those who are accused of crimes.

Dr.Divine

First of all,I would like to thank everyone her to have shared there points of view.
Now I want to explain some things,
When a person goes anywhere in the world that persob has to follow the rules of that country.Thats something I cant argue about.
When Im in the USA I follow ur rules,Thats only Natural.
What im talking about is the kidnapping thing.Why is he being accused of kidnapping although HE DID NOT kidnap anyone,He got her a visa of a maid!
She was there to WORK thats her job!
So I really dont think thats kidnapping.
second of all the rapping and Etc.
He is a married man with 4 kids ok?
He is a religious man Too.
Im not saying he is an angel,But Why would a man that has a wife rape the maid in the house that he has children in?Thats just SICK.
and he is a Doctrate student tha has high degrees in KSA.
AND the thing that troubles me the most
Why did the Maid say That they treated her like family?then afterwards changed her mind?
She sain by her own tounge Formally that she had not been raped nor sexually abused and that she was treated like a family.
THEN Suddenly she changed her mind?
Im sorry but in ksa people think that she was talked to do so By a govermental inst. to change her words.
and dont say no they wont
Ive seen documenteries of how soem Govermental Inst make people say stuff they dont mean!!
People Go testify sometimes on courts on things they have NOT done!
Why?Because of what I had just said.
and I think that the word "kidnapped" is misleading.
Im sure that I cant argue about it she is human "the maid" she has her needs and things
she shouldnt have been working 24/7
so the guy has to be punished for that crime only.He did it and thats a huge mistake.
Just for the record In KSA in each house we have 2 to three maids on Contracts
Its not Slavery as some Implied.
They get there paycheck by the end of the month.
and what ur talking about "slaves" is not something u can see in KSA and I dare u tell me a place that has this.
The rules in KSA clearlly Say that Slaves r prohibited in KSA that rule was given By the late King Khalid if Im not mistaken.
I really do think people all around the world think that Ksa is just full of sand
and a desert.
well its not,
we r modern people BUT a few Terrorists changes the worlds prospective to KSA,and there r Bedwins in ksa im not saying there arent any.
I know its the only Country where women do not drive
And I am with women driving 200%
But u cant just tell a girl to just start driving in one day
people have to adapt to the changes slowly
Tradition is a big part of Ksa and any other culture.
well Im really sorry if I didnt clear things up and I thank every individual to have argued.
Im hearing intresting things,Thank you.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Dr. Divine. Good explanation.

On the maid issue. If a person had been held captive against their will and forced to work as a maid she would have been warned about complaining or telling anyone outside the real situation.
Once she is removed from the situation of being held captive only then would she be free to speak the truth. Why would that take 6 months, I sure do not know. Is is possible she was influenced by outside sources (government)? Yes, that is possible. I still belive it is hard to pull the wool over the eyes of the court most of the time. If she is not telling the truth that will come out in court.

You write well for an 18 year old. :thumb: :a1:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dr.Divine said:
What im talking about is the kidnapping thing.Why is he being accused of kidnapping although HE DID NOT kidnap anyone,He got her a visa of a maid!
She was there to WORK thats her job!
Holding her against her will is illegal in the US, it qualifies as kidnapping. Further she claims she was threatened and under duress. Again, criminal here in the US.
Dr.Divine said:
second of all the rapping and Etc.
He is a married man with 4 kids ok?
He is a religious man Too.
Im not saying he is an angel,But Why would a man that has a wife rape the maid in the house that he has children in?Thats just SICK.
You are correct it is SICK. Further, I'd suggest he is not an angle, at least based on the testimony of the maid (who he clearly abused under our laws)
Dr.Divine said:
Why did the Maid say That they treated her like family?
Last time I checked, "family" didn't lock other "family" in the basement, threaten them, abuse them, underpay them.
Dr.Divine said:
She sain by her own tounge Formally that she had not been raped nor sexually abused and that she was treated like a family.
THEN Suddenly she changed her mind?
Yes, under fear, she said she didn't get raped, abused, etc. But when she felt that she was safe and when she felt they could no longer abuse her, then she testified that she was abused, raped, held against her will.
Dr.Divine said:
Im sorry but in ksa people think that she was talked to do so By a govermental inst. to change her words.
What reason does the government have? If the USA had some specific motive, then I might agree. And I will not say that the USA is perfect, but I only see what has been printed. I see not clear motive for the USA to go after this family man from the KSA. What I see is testimony from a scared woman.

daedong

Dr. Divine

While legal systems in general in western society work well, there is sometimes people wrongly convicted but this happens on very rare occasions.

In the west lawyers will bend over backward in defence of their client. The more cases they win, the better their reputation, the more $ they earn.

It is unlikely that your county man, Hemeedan Al-Turky would be found guilty if he were not. However, he will have the opportunity to appeal any decision handed down.

If other US Muslim citizens thought for one minute it were persecution they would be outraged, (and rightly so) it would be on every news across America

Cityboy

Banned
daedong said:
If other US Muslim citizens thought for one minute it were persecution they would be outraged, (and rightly so) it would be on every news across America

If only they would be so "outraged" at the crime of Islamic terrorism........

That would be a nice thing to see on our national news networks.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
daedong said:

It is unlikely that your county man, Hemeedan Al-Turky would be found guilty if he were not. However, he will have the opportunity to appeal any decision handed down.

Vin, thank you for bringing up those points. And as you are not an American it is nice to see a foreigner's impression of another nation's legal system. I think you are right on both points, but then again, being that I am an American I would think that any Saudi who reads my comments may logically assume that I am biased.

Cityboy said:
If only they would be so "outraged" at the crime of Islamic terrorism........

That would be a nice thing to see on our national news networks.
Another great point here. Perhaps a topic for a different thread, but never the less a great point. As Vin pointed out, we don't see the Muslim community in the US standing up to defend Mr Al-Turky so I suspect that he is far less 'innocent' than some might beleive.

On the other hand, it sure would be nice to see more Muslims stand up and condemn terrorism. Instead we see quite the opposite too often, and we obviously see a lot of people who quietly sit with their mouths shut. Some suggest that by not speaking out against terrorism that Muslims in fact support it as a way to clense the world of the infadels.

Is it possible that Muslims are so afraid of their own people that they will not speak out against terrorist acts? Could it be that the majority of Muslims are simply sheepish and living in fear?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
daedong said:
Dr. Divine

While legal systems in general in western society work well, there is sometimes people wrongly convicted but this happens on very rare occasions.

In the west lawyers will bend over backward in defence of their client. The more cases they win, the better their reputation, the more $ they earn.

One other "flaw" of the western legal systems is that the police often feel that they have to charge people with every possible crime and then make each detail of the crime seem as bad as possible.

The resoning behind this is because the mercy, sympathy, and negotiating over the actual conviction and penalty is done by the courts. The police can only make the charges. They can't actually convict anyone.

In theory that is why you are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. However, the media often convicts people and does their best to assasinate people's character as soon as they are charged.

I've been on the receiving end of the police's trumping up of charges and it is no fun. A stupid act done at a young age is made to seem much more heinous and evil than it was in reality by the time the police file their paperwork. The courts saw the reality and things were much more reasonable once it was run through the legal system.

It's a strange aspect of the legal system but when I see things like the OJ Simpson trial I understand why they police are forced to do what they do. They are only one stage in the whole legal process.

It's not a black and white process - it's gray and is usually fairly balanced.

PB

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
It's not a black and white process - it's gray and is usually fairly balanced.
PB
Well that is a pretty good summary of the US Judicial system. According the US State Department the Saudi Human Rights record is pretty dismal, as least compared to US standards. Here is the State Department webpage where the following exerpts can be found: http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/2005/61698.htm
Human rights issues have not historically been the subject of public discourse but have become increasingly prominent during the year. The government's human rights record remained poor overall with continuing serious problems, despite some progress. The following human rights problems were reported:

no right to change the government
infliction of severe pain by judicially sanctioned corporal punishments
beatings and other abuses
arbitrary arrest
incommunicado detention
denial of fair public trials
exemption from the rule of law for some individuals and lack of judicial independence
political prisoners
infringement of privacy rights
significant restriction of civil liberties--freedoms of speech and press, assembly, association, and movement
no religious freedom
widespread perception of corruption
lack of government transparency
legal and societal discrimination against women, religious and other minorities
strict limitations on worker rights.

Dr.Divine said:
Ive seen documenteries of how soem Govermental Inst make people say stuff they dont mean!!
Dr.Divine, are you referring to the US or the the KSA? Here is what the US State Department wrote about the KSA judicial system:
c. Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman, or Degrading Treatment or Punishment

The Basic Law prohibits torture and Shari'a prohibits judges from accepting confessions obtained under duress; however, authorities abused both citizens and foreigners. Ministry of Interior (MOI) officials were responsible for most incidents of abuse of prisoners, including beatings, whippings, and sleep deprivation. In addition, there were allegations of beatings with sticks and suspension from bars by handcuffs. There were allegations that these practices were used to force confessions from prisoners.

During the year the religious police (Mutawwa'in) harassed, abused, and detained citizens and foreigners of both sexes. These incidents were most common in the central region, including the capital, Riyadh, and less frequent in the eastern and western regions of the country.
Here are some additional statemens from the US State Department website. Bear in mind the webpage is just a summary of events and observations.
At times the authorities arrested and detained persons without following explicit legal guidelines. The religious police intimidated, harassed and brought to police stations, persons whom they accused based on their own religious interpretations of committing "crimes of vice" including arrests for witchcraft and sorcery (see section 2.c.).

Throughout the country several Committees for Collection of Donations for Impoverished Prisoners raised funds to pay fines stemming from traffic accidents and civil cases since prisoners remain in custody until the fines are paid, regardless of length of sentence.

If accused persons were not released, authorities typically detained them for an average of two months before sending the case to trial or, in the case of some foreigners, summarily deporting them. There were no established procedures providing detainees the right to inform their family of their arrest.

During the year in the conservative Nejd region that includes Riyadh, reports continued of religious police accosting, abusing, arresting, and detaining persons alleged to have violated dress and behavior standards. There were also a number of reports of religious police in Mecca taking similar actions. The risk of harassment was substantial. The religious police detained young men for offenses that included eating in restaurants with young women not related to them, allegedly making lewd remarks to women in shopping malls, or walking in groups through family-only sections of shopping centers. Religious police detained women of many nationalities for actions such as riding in a taxi with a man who was not their relative, appearing with their heads uncovered in shopping malls, and eating in restaurants with males who were not their relatives. Many such prisoners were held for days, sometimes weeks, without officials notifying their families or, in the case of noncitizens, their embassies.

Dr.Divine said:

Dr.Divine stated that across the KSA, people there belive that the US is practicing racism against Mr. Al-Turky. Would the example below be a similar case of prejudice? Or would it be hypocrocy while they claim we are unjust the KSA government seems to practice injustice?
There continued to be cases in which religious police arrested and detained Christians for practicing their faith; some were charged with holding services in their homes, while others were apparently arrested arbitrarily (see section 2.c.).

Dr.Divine said:
Just for the record In KSA in each house we have 2 to three maids on Contracts
Its not Slavery as some Implied.
They get there paycheck by the end of the month.
Here is the US Department of State's statement on conditions in Saudi Arabia for domestic workers employed in the KSA:
Foreign embassies continued to receive many reports that employers abused foreign women working as domestic servants. Some embassies of countries with large domestic servant populations maintained safe houses to which their citizens may flee to escape work situations that included forced confinement, withholding of food, nonpayment of salaries, beating and other physical abuse, and rape. Often female citizens are accused of committing many of the reported abuses. During the year, the media reported more frequently on cases involving domestic abuse of women, servants, and children, and there were more reports about employers being punished for abuse of domestic servants.

Edited by Bob at 5:49pm

Dr.Divine

Well actually guys
U all have good points
Specially B Skurka (ill get u for this Bob :D )
Anyways The media in KSA as I figured out was misleading
they kept bringing the good stuff Only
They say he was convicted of a crime he didnt commit and and Etc..
They didnt say the maid was in the basment with no heat !!
They didnt say that He made her work like a slave all the time!!
Now im seriously glad he is getting Punished
Although I think jail for life is too much seriously,anyways
thanx Doc :D Im 18 Years Old and Im living the Life WooooHooooo
Thanx for ur opinions guys,Ill be sure to use these facts u gave me in the arabian forums that r discussing the same issue
getting an outside opinion is really important,thats sth I believe.
Buhbyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Dr.D, nice to see you posting here again.

One thing about the press here in the US, it is a "free press" and not controlled by the government. In fact, it often is opposed to the government's position on many things. While it sometimes acts to antagonize things, the benefit of the free press is that the truth is very hard to hide from our press because there is no control over it and nobody can supress it.

I suspect that in the KSA you have a government controlled press and only approved news/information gets out. That can lead to a "one sided" view of things. The one side you get is the side that the government wants you to see/hear.

Dr.Divine

I suspect that in the KSA you have a government controlled press and only approved news/information gets out. That can lead to a "one sided" view of things. The one side you get is the side that the government wants you to see/hear.
Actually u r Correct!!
The press here is all Govermental I suppose
There is No way its gunna say anything bad about the government
if sth is wrong done by the government
The press Totally ignores it
But if it does a lil thing thats correct
The press just praises it as if they got 1000000 $ each
And that seriously Sucks.
anyways Thanx B Skurka :D

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Update:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4960559,00.html

Saudi gets long sentence
Man was convicted of sexual assaults on housekeeper
432136875-_o.jpg

Homaidan Al-Turki says he was targeted by prosecutors because of his Muslim religion.
STORY TOOLS
Email this story | Print

By Felix Doligosa Jr., Rocky Mountain News
September 1, 2006
CENTENNIAL - Sniffles and sobs resonated in a packed courtroom Thursday as a Saudi man convicted of sexually assaulting his Indonesian housekeeper was sentenced Thursday to 20 years to life in prison.
Homaidan Al-Turki, 37, was also ordered to serve eight additional years for theft charges.
He denied in Arapahoe County District Court that he enslaved the woman and said authorities targeted him because of his religion.
"Your honor, I am not here to apologize, for I cannot apologize for things I did not do and for crimes I did not commit," he told Judge Mark Hannen.
"The state has criminalized these basic Muslim behaviors. Attacking traditional Muslim behaviors was the focal point of the prosecution," he said.
Prosecutor Natalie Decker said the trial had nothing to do with Al-Turki's Muslim beliefs.
"It has to do with what he did to her for five years," she said outside the courtroom.
Al-Turki was convicted this summer of 12 felony counts of unlawful sexual contact with use of force, one felony count of criminal extortion and one felony count of theft. He also was found guilty of two misdemeanors: false imprisonment and conspiracy to commit false imprisonment.
The case has captured the attention of the Muslim community worldwide. The Saudi government gave Al-Turki the money he needed to post a $400,000 bond on the charges in Arapahoe County.
Prosecutors said Al-Turki brought the victim, who is now 24, from Saudi Arabia in 2000 to work as his family's nanny and housekeeper in their Aurora home. Al-Turki is married and has five children.
The victim testified in court that she worked seven days a week and was paid $150 a month. She said Al-Turki and his wife kept most of that money. Al-Turki also allegedly took the woman's passport and sexually abused her.
The Rocky Mountain News is withholding the nanny's name because she is a sexual assault victim. She now lives in Aurora. "This is a clear-cut example of human trafficking," Decker said. "It's important he is put in prison."

OkeeDon

"The state has criminalized these basic Muslim behaviors. Attacking traditional Muslim behaviors was the focal point of the prosecution," he said.

Hey, if the treatment he gave his maid is "basic Muslim behavior", then the Muslims sure have a long way to go before they rise to acceptable human behavior. If it is sanctioned by his religion, then it is the religion that is sick.

It's hard for me to believe than Muslims swallow all the bullshit they spew out. It's obvious to me that it they believe they can enslave and mistreat other people, they are barbarians at best. Certainly they are not people of God, because no God would allow people to be enslaved.