• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Atlas Shrugged (MOVIE) despite very limited distribution, 3rd highest ticket sales

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Movie ticket sales company FANDANGO is reporting that the movie ATLAS SHRUGGED has the 3rd highest number of tickets pre-sold of any movie in history. This is pretty amazing given several factors.

• ATLAS SHRUGGED is only showing in about 10% of the major movie theaters nationwide.
  • A small independent producer made the movie.
  • ATLAS SHRUGGED has no big name stars, in fact it has no stars but rather used TV actors and actresses.
  • The movie was made on a tiny (by Hollywood standards) budget of only $20 Million.
  • Professional movie critics hate the movie, but individuals who have seen it overwhelmingly like the movie.

WALL STREET JOURNAL article => http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/04/15/will-conservatives-make-atlas-shrugged-a-hit/
Rotten Tomatoes lists more than 5,000 user ratings with a total of 86% saying they “like it,” while the critics’ average is a disastrous 7%.
. . .
According to Kaslow, the second and third parts of the film are in the active planning stages, with the second part scheduled to go into production this June for release on April 15, 2012, and the third to follow the same timeline the following year. “The green light decision is ultimately John’s,” says Kaslow. “If we learn there is no commercial interest in the film, I doubt there will be a second or third one. But at this point, we’re the third most ticketed film on Fandango, so I don’t have any reason to believe that we won’t be successful.”

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
this is a classic book that i feel should have been made into a movie a long time ago,the problem with making it in to a movie is it will have to be made in three sequels,the book is quite long and has a lot of character background for the storyline thus you can't make it in a single 3hr movie, i hope they do it justice.....Who is John Galt?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree, it is a classic book. The movie is only PART 1 of the book. If the movie is a success, then PART 2 and PART 3 will move beyond the planning stages and go into production.

While I loved the book, at 1100 pages it was pretty verbose and a good editor should have/could have cut that book down to 700 to 800 pages and it still would have been a seminal novel.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It sure would be a hard movie to make, picking and choosing what to key on and what to leave out. I look forward to seeing the movie.

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I watched the movie this weekend,great cast,good acting(except some sub characters),they left out some of the plot history, this didn't surprise me but its always the same if you read the book first and then see the movie,can't wait to see the sequel,:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Despite pre-screen sales, total box office is tanking, big time. Producers are questioning the amount of loss they can tolerate to make the sequel(s).

Link. More.

Too bad. Maybe it will recover, maybe not.

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
Given the limited screens, perhaps DVD/BR sales will make up?
Just a thought.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We saw the movie over the weekend, it was definitely a "made for TV quality" movie. That said the message worked, we all enjoyed it, my wife actually said she may read the book. Hopefully it becomes a DVD success. It would be a shame if parts 2 and 3 are not made.